It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I could really do with some help.
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:48 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have a Jeep Cherokee (Liberty) CRD 2.5 diesel.
i will start be saying hello I'm new to the site and from London UK

i have had my jeep for two years and it has suited me well. but over the last few months it started giving me problems
i first had it refusing to start after a short stop like refueling. then it started cutting out and i got the P0340 fault code so ordered a new cam sensor
so i thought considering it would be off the rood whilst i waited for the part i would do the timing belt as well i also decided to check the resistance of my glow plugs to find out if i should do them. they seemed OK going on info i found on line
The belt and cam sensor are now fitted but the jeep is still giving me problems now it only runs for exactly 10min then cuts out then wont start for a while then starts again and will do the same thing. i removed the fuel filter to get to the glow plugs and i also cleaned the map sensor.

any help would be appreciated
Dan

Post subject: Re: I could really do with some help.
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sounds like it runs just long enough for things to start to get warm and then won't restart until things cool off. If so the likely cause is a bad crankshaft position sensor. Checking the online parts manuals it looks like the same PN goes back to at least 2003 and is the same for the 2.5 and 2.8L CRDs so DCJ PN5066882AA or Bosch 0281002434 also apparently Standard Motor Products PC766 or Airtex 5S7000. Cost in USD$ is about $65 and install is pretty easy although access is limited and may be really limited on a right hand drive vehicle as the steering column is likely in the way.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the reply and taking the time to get a part number.
I did think about the crankshaft sensor but thought i would get a P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor Circuit or a
P0339 Crankshaft Position Sensor Intermittent. would it be possible to have a faulty sensor and no code.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I cannot speak for the earlier model KJ with the 2.5L CRD engine. The 05/06 2.8 ones don't typically set a CEL (check engine light) with a bad crank position sensor and may or may not set a trouble code that a compatible code reader can pull. My son's 06 did not set a CEL but there were some stored codes when his crank sensor went bad (killed the engine whenever he slowed down to exit highway or slowed down for traffic light/stop sign).

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:23 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks again i will check the cam sensor tomorrow. i will have a look to see if i can find a way of testing the sensor to see if its faulty. I can pick one up Monday and fit.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I assume that's a typo and you meant crank position sensor. It is "testable" off the vehicle - hook up a volt/ohm meter; apply heat to the sensor with like a hair dry; if resistance goes nuts it is bad.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

My bad yes it was meant to say crank sensor. ive been told it should read around 6 ohms
i will post how it goes

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:50 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

What it "should" read is probably irrelevant. The point of the test is to see if its readings go erratic when heated. Others who have done the test can probably comment on what you will see. I don't have any notes but you might be able to use Google to search the forum for something like "LOST KJ crank position sensor" as I know there have been posts on the test.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:51 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Don't bother testing it. Just replace it.

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=80849&hilit=+crank+position+sensor+ohms&start=80

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 2:21 am 
LOST Member

@Special k...replace the part...they do not always post a code when failing but your symptoms are pretty much consistant with a bad crank/cam sensor failing as it heats up.

Have you downloaded the 2002 KJ Service manual below? This covers the whole 2002 KJ including the wiring diagrams but does not cover our Export 2.5L CRDs as far as the engine goes.....for this you must definitely download the section marked
"2.5_2.8 export diesel" as it covers our engines well!

Download here: http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 3:33 pm 
LOST Newbie

thanks guys. response has been brilliant. The part is ordered i intend to test the old part just so i know what a bad one acts like.
thanks Billybob & GordnadoCRD for the links. i managed to find the 2002 KJ Service manuals yesterday as i was browsing the forum. i think these will be really helpful.
hope this cures the problem ill let you all know.