It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Any Second Battery Under the Hood Success?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:47 pm 
LOST Member

I am waiting on some parts to finish up some work on my CRD. My battery is old, tired, and in need of replacing. I know that I can trim the tray and fit a group 65 battery in there for a slight improvement. I am also installing a grid heater from a Duramax to improve starting in the northern climate. I suspect the added amp draw would tax even a group 65 batter. I would love to fit a second battery under the hood.

Does anyone have experience starting with a grid heater? Will the group 65 be sufficient (it gets to 0F and sometimes lower on occasion)?

Has anyone successfully gotten a second battery under the hood? If the intake box was gone somehow that would help. I also noticed that if I turned the stock battery 90 and did a little work over there I might be able to squeeze two in side by side. Height will become an issue and restriction though. I would probably need to extend a wiring harness a little but I think I could make it work. It would be pretty spectacular to have two stock batteries in there.

Post subject: Re: Any Second Battery Under the Hood Success?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:27 pm 

I doubt very seriously you can find room under the hood for a second battery unless you remove the air box and find some other way to filter the incoming air.
I do remember reading a few years ago on LOST of someone adding a larger second battery in the rear of their Jeep in the cargo area... :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:28 pm 
LOST Member

I've seen batteries mounted under the seat. However id make sure it's a sealed battery so you don't get the smell.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:48 pm 
LOST Member

I think I am going to try two smaller batteries with side terminals. They wont sit down in the tray as well and this will stop and hood contact concerns. Total CCA should be between 1200 and 1300.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:25 pm 

If you purchase a Group 65 AGM battery like the NorthStar, it has some pretty impressive numbers. :shock:
And it will fit using the Weeks battery tray (SasquatchParts.com), I have this setup in my Jeep.

SPECIFICATIONS
Pulse (5-second) Hot Cranking Amps (PHCA) -- 1750
Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) -- 1070
20Hr Nominal Capacity (Ah) -- 69
Reserve Capacity Minutes -- 135

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:39 am 
LOST Member

I have fitted a larger battery in my 2002 Export 2.5 CRD by cutting the battery tray to take a longer battery.

I have seen some posts a long time ago whereby owners have cut out the right-rear side plastic section inside the cargo bay...just in front of the right-rear wheel arch...with a hinge on the plastic section that has been cutout so as to close it up again.

Then they fix another battery in there with thick cables running up front and some very large switches under the hood so as to select the front battery or the rear battery or both in parallel.

This was mainly for Campers who may need to run refrigerators, lamps, heaters etc. from their KJ battery.....sounds like a lot of work.....rather try the Weeks battery Tray as suggested :wink:

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 12:43 pm 
LOST Member

BillyBob -
Interesting concept I will keep that in mind if I abandon the under the hood approach. I want to preserve the precious interior cargo space as best I can until then.

WWDiesel -
Do you have a heater installed in your EGR eliminating elbow?
Also, when I look up that super battery it says CCAs equal 930. I think you are accidently referencing the CA. Either way, two decent batteries would be cheaper and have a greater output (IF I can fit them).

https://www.northstarbattery.com/produc ... 65?p=51227

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:03 pm 

Science and Energy wrote:
WWDiesel -
Do you have a heater installed in your EGR eliminating elbow? No!
Also, when I look up that super battery it says CCAs equal 930. I think you are accidently referencing the CA. Either way, two decent batteries would be cheaper and have a greater output (IF I can fit them).
CCA rating at -18°C (0°F) 930 A
CA/MCA rating at 0°C (32°F) 1070 A

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:45 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

BillyBob -
Interesting concept I will keep that in mind if I abandon the under the hood approach. I want to preserve the precious interior cargo space as best I can until then.

WWDiesel -

The Odyssey PC1750 is higher rated and cheaper on Amazon.

Mine test at over 1200cca's while only being rated at 950cca.

Your not going to get 2 smaller batteries to have more output for cheaper,your looking at some exotic batteries to fit in that space and have over 600cca's which cost about twice as a PC1750(each and can not be charged by the alternator),forget about side terminals in that size also.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:09 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Winter starting performance is greatly assisted by having the right glow plugs with the right software - it appears to be a mismatch, but the 5V metal plugs with the 7V programming has been quite successful this year from both personal experience as well as reports from the field.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:06 pm 
LOST Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
BillyBob -

Your not going to get 2 smaller batteries to have more output for cheaper,your looking at some exotic batteries to fit in that space and have over 600cca's which cost about twice as a PC1750(each and can not be charged by the alternator),forget about side terminals in that size also.

I'm talking about two batteries smaller than stock but not each half stock size. That wouldn't gain anything. Battery capacity is a game of surface area and the sizes are generally reflective of their output (some squeeze move surface area in less space achieving higher capacities but at a higher cost). I am talking about two group 101 batteries for example. They are each smaller with less capacity but I would have a CHANCE of squeezing both in and netting 1300cca. Each of those batteries can be had for 100 bucks with a 4 year warranty.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:10 pm 
LOST Member

geordi wrote:
Winter starting performance is greatly assisted by having the right glow plugs with the right software - it appears to be a mismatch, but the 5V metal plugs with the 7V programming has been quite successful this year from both personal experience as well as reports from the field.

I have the EcoTune and eTecno plugs. I replaced the ceramic plugs when the eTecnos went in. Does this help me know what the settings are? Are talking about deliberately overloading the steelies then?

I think this means I have the 7 volt plugs and the settings remain at 7 volts.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 2:38 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
I'm talking about two batteries smaller than stock but not each half stock size. That wouldn't gain anything. Battery capacity is a game of surface area and the sizes are generally reflective of their output (some squeeze move surface area in less space achieving higher capacities but at a higher cost). I am talking about two group 101 batteries for example. They are each smaller with less capacity but I would have a CHANCE of squeezing both in and netting 1300cca. Each of those batteries can be had for 100 bucks with a 4 year warranty.
Let us know what you use and how well it works.
I have an old British diesel tractor with an attitude that I replaced the 12V battery with (1) 6v and (1) 8v wired in series. Looks strange but definitely helps wake it up. Also replaced the generator with an old AC Delco alternator externally regulated.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 1:31 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
geordi wrote:

I have the EcoTune and eTecno plugs. I replaced the ceramic plugs when the eTecnos went in. Does this help me know what the settings are? Are talking about deliberately overloading the steelies then?

I think this means I have the 7 volt plugs and the settings remain at 7 volts.

Yes, you would have the 7v plugs as well as the 7v software. TOSS those Etechno plugs and put in a set of 5v Bosch. Yes you would be intentionally "overpowering" them, but nobody has reported any failures even after multiple (three) winters on them and I can personally state from experience that the CRD starts like it is a summer day when it is in the teens out. MUCH BETTER performance. As it should have been from the beginning.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:08 am 
LOST Member

The Duramax LLY grid heater is in also. Anyone installing this heater needs to cut their own gasket and not reuse the metal gasket. It acted like a reed and sound like my Jeep was powered by a Black Rider from Lord of the Rings (Nazgûl) as it leaked boosted air. I reused the stock elbow and attached the grid heater and its’ flanged hose barb to that. The Mishimoto hose was perfect length and placement. The Duramax hose barb is about 0.25 inches bigger so it took some effort and silicon lube to slip the hose in place. (skip the sex jokes)

The fuse box can be easily flipped to the other side of the batteries as show. I still need to mount that box permanently. I cut a flat aluminum tray and bent one side up on the engine side. I welded some brackets on to retain the batteries and used rubber where I could to promote vibration absorption. There is an ear welded to the wheel side the re uses one of the old trays mounts. Below the tray is a wood and rubber spacer/support that uses another of the old mounts. It is pretty solid and I can shake the Jeep by the batteries. I did this in a hurry for state inspections so it is not as pretty as I would have liked but darn, I got 1700 cca and it works so I am happy. The Jeep starts totally different now. I didn’t realize how bad the last single battery had gotten. I got the batteries returned at an auto parts store for 60 each.

I will use a starter solenoid for the grid heater. I am told it should draw about 90-110 amps. I am not sure if I will use a battery isolator or not.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:01 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
A 1970s era Ford starter solenoid should work perfectly for the heater. Are you going to put in on a timer or have a manual button?

Are you running no fan at all?

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:51 am 
LOST Member

No fan at all and no problems. It was 87 here a couple days ago and the temp never moved past its normal spot. I bought an electric fan but now I might not install it. Instead I might leave the shroud off and just throw the mechanical fan in when I tow. It would only take 2 min to put back in.

My local parts store has a solenoid that they said is rated for 200 amps. I might try that. I will put it on a momentary switch so that it can't be left on. It will have juice when the button is held down. I think it will only get 30 sec of use at a time and I won't have to worry about accidentally leaving it on which would be very bad.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:48 pm 
LOST Member

".......Has anyone successfully gotten a second battery under the hood? .......It would be pretty spectacular to have two stock batteries in there........."

I put my aux. battery behind the drivers seat on the floor in an approved plastic battery box strapped to the floor. However I might add that I don't use my rear seat (for passengers) and have removed the back of the rear seat as to have a flat floor with only the seat (cushion) so that it's flat with the rear level. Both batteries are gel type and are Jeep OEM in size.

'05 CRD, GDE tune(s), JBA stuff, OME, Weeks Stage I & II, "Provent"(custom) +++

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

tjkj2002 wrote:
BillyBob -

WWDiesel -

A PC1750 is longer and wider than the standard battery tray...You can make the tray take a longer battery easy enough by breaking off the plastic lip at one end, but it's not easy to make it take a wider battery. Plus a PC1750 is very heavy and costs $300! A PC1350 is a closer fit, but it's terminals are the wrong way round and it costs over a hundred dollars more! Shame you don't seem to have as much battery choice in the States as we do in the UK. I modded my KJ battery tray to take a longer battery and fitted an Advanced 096R XD, with 77Ah capacity and 780CCA...Only weighs 19kg vs the 26.3kg PC1750, comes with a 5 year warranty and only costs £75 ($99)!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:56 pm 
LOST Newbie

The Duramax LLY grid heater is in also. Anyone installing this heater needs to cut their own gasket and not reuse the metal gasket. It acted like a reed and sound like my Jeep was powered by a Black Rider from Lord of the Rings (Nazgûl) as it leaked boosted air. I reused the stock elbow and attached the grid heater and its’ flanged hose barb to that. The Mishimoto hose was perfect length and placement. The Duramax hose barb is about 0.25 inches bigger so it took some effort and silicon lube to slip the hose in place. (skip the sex jokes)

The fuse box can be easily flipped to the other side of the batteries as show. I still need to mount that box permanently. I cut a flat aluminum tray and bent one side up on the engine side. I welded some brackets on to retain the batteries and used rubber where I could to promote vibration absorption. There is an ear welded to the wheel side the re uses one of the old trays mounts. Below the tray is a wood and rubber spacer/support that uses another of the old mounts. It is pretty solid and I can shake the Jeep by the batteries. I did this in a hurry for state inspections so it is not as pretty as I would have liked but darn, I got 1700 cca and it works so I am happy. The Jeep starts totally different now. I didn’t realize how bad the last single battery had gotten. I got the batteries returned at an auto parts store for 60 each.

I will use a starter solenoid for the grid heater. I am told it should draw about 90-110 amps. I am not sure if I will use a battery isolator or not.

Isn't that an Optima D34? The Optima D34 (yellow top) battery is hardly a good choice for a 2.8 CRD KJ. For a start it only has 55Ah capacity, 22Ah less capacity than my 096R XD, and with 750CCA (750 Amps Cranking power), it has 30 Amps less cranking power too. Plus, it only has a 3 year warranty...The Advanced 096R XD has a 5 year warranty!
The D34 is also 1kg (2.2lbs) heavier and to cap it all off, the cheapest price I could find for a D34 here in the UK is £176 ($233) on ebay UK. It's £211 ($279) on Amazon UK!. But on ebay UK the Advanced 096R XD is only £75 ($99)!
And the Optima RTS4.2 (red top) is even worse...While they claim it has 815CCA (815 Amps cranking power), it only has a capacity of 50Ah, so it can't supply that for very long...The 096R XD can supply 780CAA for a lot longer...And that can make a big difference in the winter. Whatsmore, the RTS4.2 only has a 2 year warranty, 3 years less than the 096R XD, which doesn't exactly inspire confidence in it. It's 1cm taller too, which may or may not cause it to clash with the bonnet (?)...It's only saving grace really is that it's 1.8kg (3.96lbs) lighter in weight. The cheapest I could find was £156 ($206) on ebay UK, which is still more than double the price of the Advanced 096R XD!