It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: What was the first 4x4 you owned?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:18 pm 
LOST Member

M38 Willis mil surp Jeep. 4cyl Continental engine,5.38x1gears, 24V electrical system. If you've never experienced one you'll NEVER know what Jeepins really like!

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:21 am 
LOST Newbie

First 4x4 I owned was a 67 Jeep Pickup. Loved driving it and was happy to use it for work until I had to pay for a damaged roll of carpet that hung off the tailgate during a really wet snow storm.

First 4x4 I called my own was this fine ride owned by the US Army:

Promised myself, if I lived through it, I'd get me a Jeep one day. Didn't think it would be a pickup, but it was all good.

Jim

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:49 pm 
LOST Junkie

My 2005 CRD KJ is the first I've owned. The first I used (long ago) was an issue LR Series 3 Lightweight - freezing in winter and leaked in rain.

Light Khaki 2.8CRD: TJM alloy bumper; Skid Row &Asfir skids;ext. breathers; SAMCO hoses; Grabber At3 235/70/16; Fumoto; Euro TC; Odyssey PC1500;GDE FTEcotune; OME lift; lightforce driving lights;ARB diff cover;nylon fan+Hayden2905;ss vortex exhaust; Airflow snorkel; Frontrunner roofrack; rock rails

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:10 am 
LOST Newbie

My current ride, 2003 Jeep KJ, is the first and only 4x4 that I have owned. Traded for it in June - 2015. I wanted a Jeep, it just so happened to be a 4x4.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:53 am 
LOST Newbie

Suzuki Samurai KJ410. Camo paint, 2' lift and big wheels. Pretty much like this:

It accelerated like a cow in a swamp and drive was smooth as riding a kangaroo. But fun it was, especially during snowy winters.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:18 pm 

A pair of Series IIA SWB Land-Rovers, both diesels and fresh off of a lifetime of hard work on a farm.

Had to take the dead one to get the good one. Turned out to be a bonus as the dead one had a Series III gearbox; made for a nice upgrade to the running one and gave me synchromesh on all four forward gears.

Been through a variety of 4WD and AWD vehicles since - MQ-series Nissan Patrol, Lada Niva, Subaru Brats (three of them, and they're fantastic vehicles), Citroën Mehari 4x4, Subaru Forester, Fiat Panda 4x4 (the original, made-from-pressed-tin, brilliant Panda), AMC Eagle wagon, three XJ Cherokees, and a few others.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
IRO WJ Short Rear UCA/WWDiesel mount
Skid Row Skidplates
HDS Model 001 Thermostat (190°F)
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Hayden 2986 fan clutch / GM 11-blade fan
Samco / Sasquatch Intake Hoses
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:58 pm 
LOST Addict

XJ Cherokee. 4.0, command trac. Lots of good adventures, never stuck, always pulled through. I miss this Jeep sometimes, but it was a diva for parts. I was always fixing something or other on that machine. It was my education on how to take care of and repair a vehicle myself. And when to pay a shop to do it when I am over my head.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:02 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
1991 Toy SR5 Xtracab Chrome rollbar in back, different tires, but pretty much this.

3.0 V6 that had the failed head gasket. Happened with my GF at the time driving, and she basically drove it until it quit. Started a Chev SB swap, got the mechanical stuff in, then got a promotion and had to move. Ended up trading it away before finishing.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:48 am 

1953 Dodge M37 Power Wagon with Jib crane and Braden PTO winch. 5.13 gears, it's a beast!
Still have it in my posession.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:42 am 
LOST Newbie

My current car, a 2005 Cherokee KJ 2.8 CRD Sport, is my first 4x4...It's also the first car I have owned with an engine capacity bigger than 2 litres and the first I have owned with six speed manual gearbox.
The 1.6 HDi engine in my previous car, a beloved Citroen C4 Grand Picasso, blew up on a Friday (blew a hole in the block and all the oil shot out onto the M3 motorway), on the way to work, so I needed to get another car real fast for the following Monday.
The KJ had been sitting in a local second hand car dealer for a long time apparently, and at £2995, it was the cheapest car they had in their yard. It only had 51,000 miles on the clock so this immediately got my attention. I fancied getting a 4x4 to help be pull my boat and trailer up slippery slipways...This had been a real pain in the Citroen, with the front wheels scrambling for grip on the muddy stones. The only solution was to tie a rope on the front via the towing eye and get several people to pull the rope at the same time as I revved it!
The KJ already had a towbar fitted, with twin electric sockets too, but the towball part itself was missing, making it useless. The dealer gave me a similar towball fitting off an old Thule tow bar he had lying around, but it was noticably smaller and narrower. I had to make two 10mm thick packing plates and drill an extra 12mm hole through the towbar to make it fit...It still didn't look right though as the ball was at 60 degrees instead of 90 degrees, and it was a bit too close to the spare wheel to allow the trailer hitch to get over it. Luckily for me, my KJ is still effected by the current recall on KJ's to have a towbar fitted...So I am going to take the existing one off so they have to fit a new one! :wink:
It came with the stock 16" steel wheels, with worn-looking, standard, 235/70R16 BFG A/T tyres on the front...But on the back wheels it had 255/70R16 A/T tyres, which are 1.1 inch bigger in diameter!...To save some weight, and fuel, I resolved to get a set of alloys ASAP and fit low rolling resistance road tyres instead of the A/T's, as my KJ was going to be my daily commuting ride to work and back, rather than for off-road use.
Managed to find a nice set of five Ultrastar, five spoke alloys ( from a 1998 Grand Cherokee), going on ebay for £150, and they were local enough that I could go and pick them up, saving £39.99 in postage.
Before picking them up I had ordered four brand new Alphamotors DK365 235/70R16 106H, road-going SUV tyres for £118 with free postage on ebay, and they arrived by courier the following morning!
Took them down to the place that had the wheels (a second-hand wheel and tyre dealer), but initially, after perusing the official Jeep offset tables for a while they told me that they would not fit without using 1" spacers...So I quickly looked up spacers on ebay, via my mobile phone and saw that the cheapest set of 1" spacers were £76 for four, which didn't seem too bad.
I asked if he could try one of the Ultrastars on, just to confirm that they would not fit, and he agreed to try fitting one...To everyone's surprise, it fitted perfectly, without spacers!
So he fitted the four new DK365's to four of the five Ultrastars, balanced all four and put them on my KJ, with the remaining Ultrastar thrown in the boot for later.
What a huge difference there was! Smoother ride, quieter, no more steering wobble, far better road handling. It now feels safe and planted when cornering, like a small hatchback.
I am averaging over 37mpg, closer to 38mpg in fact, so I it is far more affordable to run than I though it was going to be.
There were two other issues with it that I wanted to sort out...The bonnet (hood) support struts seemed to be broken as they could not hold up the weight of the bonnet...Turns out someone had fitted rear tailgate struts to the bonnet! I ordered a new pair of struts on Amazon for £11.50, but when they arrived it was immediately clear that they would not fit as they were at least 3" too long.
So I ordered another pair, from ebay this time, which fitted perfectly. The new struts have larger diameter piston rods (8mm vs 6mm) and they work perfectly now.
The other issue was that it had the wrong battery fitted...It had a 113 battery which is only 50Ah capacity and with a cranking power of just 500CCA...Fine in the summer, but come come the winter, when the cold would reduce the batteries capacity, it might not have the power to turn over my big VM 2.8 Diesel.
After much research, I found the perfect battery...An Advanced 096R XD, with a much more meaty 77Ah capacity and a cranking power of 780CCA. It was a bit longer than the plastic battery tray in my KJ though so I simply modified the tray by breaking off the vertical lip of the tray closest to the engine. I filed it flush and then the new battery dropped strait in. Last job was to make a new clamping bracket to hold it in. I used 3" of 1" x 1" x 1/8" Aluminium angle, cut to 1" x 10mm x 1/8", and drilled an 8mm (5/16") hole in the middle of the wide section to give wiggle room for the M6 clamping bolt that came with the tray. Clamped it down tight and the job was done. :D
Image20180621_142653psc2 by Alf Beharie, on Flickr
Image20180621_142639PS by Alf Beharie, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:39 pm 
LOST Member

I believe my first 4x4 was a 76 Toyota FJ40. Loved that thing the most out of all my 4x4 vehicles. Go anywhere, so easy to work on, parts easy to find(when I had it). Had a 76 Chevy 3/4 ton with a 350, SM465 4 speed, NP205 gear transfer case, 14 bolt 10.5 inch full floater rear, Dana 44 front. Rusty but ran great, never got stuck. Had an 82 Landcruiser FJ60 wagon, that thing took lots of abuse but loved it and wanted more, lol. Had a 03 ZR2 Chevy S10. Now have my 09 Liberty 4x4. Hate the automatic trans, but it works 90% of the time. Not nearly as easy to mod as the FJ or Chevy truck, but not horrible. Kind of reminds me of my FJ from the front doors forward, simiar flat front end, upright windsheild, etc..

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:16 am 
LOST Newbie

Jeep Liberty KJ 3.7 V6 Extreme Sports model :)

Went through a few after the KJ...among others Suzuki Jimny 1.3, Land Rover Defender 2.8 petrol with straight six BMW motor, Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD, Jeep JK Rubicon 3.8 and now back full circle basically to a Jeep Liberty Sport KK 3.7.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:46 pm 
LOST Member

1987 Vanagon Syncro Camper, bought her in 1991 and still have her. She's got an 1992 Subaru 3.3ltr SVX motor with all the fixings, OME suspension, custom shims...

10/17 96K, New Head, Injectors, ARP Studs, HDS T-Stat
04/18 99K, New Reman Trans
09/18 104K, Lift Pump
01/19 106K, OME Lift, Eaton TruTrac LSD in new rebuilt diff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:34 am 
LOST Newbie

vwroad87 wrote:
1987 Vanagon Syncro Camper, bought her in 1991 and still have her. She's got an 1992 Subaru 3.3ltr SVX motor with all the fixings, OME suspension, custom shims...

That sounds interesting! Do you have somewhere more info about it or can you tell bit more in here, even it's not a Jeep? I used to be a aircooler VW freak (Beetles, Variant, Bus etc) but never had any syncro or watermelon engined.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm 
LOST Member

Grotsoldaat wrote:
vwroad87 wrote:

That sounds interesting! Do you have somewhere more info about it or can you tell bit more in here, even it's not a Jeep? I used to be a aircooler VW freak (Beetles, Variant, Bus etc) but never had any syncro or watermelon engined.

Steyr Daimler Puch was the manufacturer of the legendary Unimog running gear. They were contracted to develop the syncro running gear for the Vanagons. The cases on the running gear are stamped with SDP. I have all the originally shipped 4x4 running gear that went to South Africa: Front locking differential, Rear locking differential, Center shaft disconnect. I added an AAA Transaxle built by Daryl (RIP) with his fully mechanical posi-traction. Additionally the syncro frames are much much heavier than 2wd. Fun fact the vanagon is still the vehicle that was manufactured with the most variants every in the history of autos. These came direct from the factory: Ice cream van, Dental/Medical, Fire Assist, 16 inch running gear, Pickup 2 door, Crew Cab 4 door, Delivery Van double sliders, 4x4 of all sorts, TriStar....... The brothers that designed the vans threatened to quit VW unless they where given free hand. They went berserk.

10/17 96K, New Head, Injectors, ARP Studs, HDS T-Stat
04/18 99K, New Reman Trans
09/18 104K, Lift Pump
01/19 106K, OME Lift, Eaton TruTrac LSD in new rebuilt diff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:42 pm 
LOST Newbie

My first car ever was a 1966 CJ5 with the Buick 225 Dauntless V6 and the 3 speed manual. We bought it for $500 and fixed it up, had new 31s on whitewagon wheels on it.

The only new vehicle i ever bought was a 95 YJ in August of 95.

Weeks' Stage 1 & 2
ProVent 200
Samco Hoses
V6 Airbox
Cummins In Tank Pump
2nd Gen Fuel Filter Head,
Donaldson P551313 Secondary Filter
Fumoto valve
OME lift, JBA UCAs
Backbone Winch Mount

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

vwroad87 wrote:
Grotsoldaat wrote:
vwroad87 wrote:

Steyr Daimler Puch was the manufacturer of the legendary Unimog running gear. They were contracted to develop the syncro running gear for the Vanagons. The cases on the running gear are stamped with SDP. I have all the originally shipped 4x4 running gear that went to South Africa: Front locking differential, Rear locking differential, Center shaft disconnect. I added an AAA Transaxle built by Daryl (RIP) with his fully mechanical posi-traction. Additionally the syncro frames are much much heavier than 2wd. Fun fact the vanagon is still the vehicle that was manufactured with the most variants every in the history of autos. These came direct from the factory: Ice cream van, Dental/Medical, Fire Assist, 16 inch running gear, Pickup 2 door, Crew Cab 4 door, Delivery Van double sliders, 4x4 of all sorts, TriStar....... The brothers that designed the vans threatened to quit VW unless they where given free hand. They went berserk.

I have been using rear engine diesel 4x4 Syncro bus with m/t as a company car, was very capable in Finnish snowy winters. What interests me most is that engine swap and other modifications you've done in yours.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:32 pm 

vwroad87 wrote:

Steyr-Puch also did the suspension and driveline (from the transmission back, anyway) on the Fiat Panda 4x4 I used to have. The same badges were on the tailgate.

No low range, but a very capable vehicle nonetheless.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
IRO WJ Short Rear UCA/WWDiesel mount
Skid Row Skidplates
HDS Model 001 Thermostat (190°F)
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Hayden 2986 fan clutch / GM 11-blade fan
Samco / Sasquatch Intake Hoses
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:18 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Suzuki Samurai.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:26 pm 
LOST Member

67 Toyota Landcruiser, in Colorado. 3-speed on the column. Soft top.

Replied to a newspaper ad for an IH Scout at a Toyota dealer (in 1976, I think) salesman told me the Scout was gone, but was I interested in a Landcruiser. He and I agreed, it's probably better than the Scout. So OK.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next