It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Provent mounts
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:00 pm 

The Provent 200 that's been sitting on my desk since January really needs to end up in the KJ. It would give my cat somewhere to sleep that isn't my keyboard.

I've looked at the driver's side mount idea on http://www.auerbach.ca/kj/provent/ , and think I'd rather put it on the passenger side. But from the photos I've run across from people who have done this, I'm not totally clear as to how best to make the mounting bracket.

If anyone who has done a passenger-side mount could provide me with a clear photo of the mounting bracket for a Provent, it would be greatly appreciated.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
IRO WJ Short Rear UCA/WWDiesel mount
Skid Row Skidplates
HDS Model 001 Thermostat (190°F)
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Hayden 2986 fan clutch / GM 11-blade fan
Samco / Sasquatch Intake Hoses
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

Post subject: Re: Provent mounts
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:56 am 

Two pictures showing it mounted to the turbo vacuum controller bracket with a simple piece of flat aluminum stock.

Image Image

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

Last edited by WWDiesel on Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:50 am 

Perfect, and good to know that the lines I was thinking along were basically sound. Thanks!

JBA Lifted A-Arms
Skid Row Skidplates
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:03 pm 
LOST Member

Here is my Provent install and location:
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=83541

Infinite_Karma wrote:
Thanks to everyone who has shared knowledge and experiences about their own Provent install.

I have been comparing many different Provent installs on Lostjeeps.com and other sites (http://www.auerbach.ca/kj/provent/ and http://www.jeffdaigle.com/provent/prove ... nstall.pdf and more...), and combined what looked like the best practices.

Here is my attempt... :BANANA:

The kit I assembled (minus the bracket I made):

A close up on the Provent put-together, and a pencil for size comparison:

The opening in the passenger side engine compartment where I placed it:

The Provent temporarily placed in the engine opening without the bracket:

The Provent installed in placed in the engine opening with the bracket (and I moved those 2 vacuum lines to the front of the power-steering fluid reservoir):

A closer view of the Provent installed in the engine opening with the bracket against the TCM housing bolts and frame (very solid and secure):

Install done - connected all the hoses, tightened down all the clamps, and made sure nothing was rubbing or blocking the flow of any thing (and made sure the photo had the flash for more detail):

Another view of the Install completed, shows how the Provent sits (not too high right?):

Put the plastic cover back on the engine top, and that's how it looks under the hood now:

Last thing to do was to tie-off the ball-valve drainage hose (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NJENEDO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006PKLJZO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00):
and a closer view:

UPDATED THE RUBBER HOSES WITH SILICON HOSES:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OUVFIR0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited: GDE Eco Tune, Weeks Kit 1&2, Provent 200, P3 E-Brake Controller, Custom Rock Rails, Suspension & Arms (OME, ARB, Raybestos, Bilsteins, etc.), 11-Bladed Fan, HD-Fan-Clutch, HDS M-001 Thermo, Fan-shroud-mod, Sasquatch Turbo, Tires: BFG AT TA KO2 LT245/70R16 - load D, Carter In-Tank Lift Pump.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Nicely done.
I've had a Provent sitting on my shelf for a couple of years. Might just get around to installing it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:32 pm 
LOST Member

You will be happy you did!

I also recommend making sure to have at least one or two replacement filters. They're more expensive on Amazon (~$50.00 Prime with free two day shipping), or Idparts.com sells them for a more reasonable amount (~$34.00+shipping and tax = ~$40.00 5-7day shipping): https://www.idparts.com/mann-provent-200-oil-separator-element-p-2428.html

I waited too long on my last replacement and the Provent hoses backed up a little with some sludge - so I have to clean out the whole unit.

Enjoy, and let me know if you have any questions or need help!

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited: GDE Eco Tune, Weeks Kit 1&2, Provent 200, P3 E-Brake Controller, Custom Rock Rails, Suspension & Arms (OME, ARB, Raybestos, Bilsteins, etc.), 11-Bladed Fan, HD-Fan-Clutch, HDS M-001 Thermo, Fan-shroud-mod, Sasquatch Turbo, Tires: BFG AT TA KO2 LT245/70R16 - load D, Carter In-Tank Lift Pump.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:26 pm 
LOST Addict

bugnout wrote:
Nicely done.
I've had a Provent sitting on my shelf for a couple of years. Might just get around to installing it.

Me too. Ugh. Its so big and the engine bay is so tight.

A lot of the GTDI catch cans are being mounted behind the grill, in front of the radiator. This is how my F150 is and I can tell you that I get a ridiculous amount of stuff. I have a 12 oz can and have to empty every 500-1000 miles in the winter. I dont know how the provent would do here though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:35 pm 

mass-hole wrote:
Me too. Ugh. Its so big and the engine bay is so tight.
A lot of the GTDI catch cans are being mounted behind the grill, in front of the radiator. This is how my F150 is and I can tell you that I get a ridiculous amount of stuff. I have a 12 oz can and have to empty every 500-1000 miles in the winter. I don't know how the provent would do here though.

I drain mine on every oil change and get about 2 oz. of liquid out of it.
I also pull and clean the filter with brake cleaner at the same time.

:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:38 pm 
LOST Addict

Infinite_Karma wrote:
Here is my Provent install and location:
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=83541

Infinite_Karma wrote:
Thanks to everyone who has shared knowledge and experiences about their own Provent install.

I have been comparing many different Provent installs on Lostjeeps.com and other sites (http://www.auerbach.ca/kj/provent/ and http://www.jeffdaigle.com/provent/prove ... nstall.pdf and more...), and combined what looked like the best practices.

Here is my attempt... :BANANA:

The kit I assembled (minus the bracket I made):

A close up on the Provent put-together, and a pencil for size comparison:

The opening in the passenger side engine compartment where I placed it:

The Provent temporarily placed in the engine opening without the bracket:

The Provent installed in placed in the engine opening with the bracket (and I moved those 2 vacuum lines to the front of the power-steering fluid reservoir):

A closer view of the Provent installed in the engine opening with the bracket against the TCM housing bolts and frame (very solid and secure):

Install done - connected all the hoses, tightened down all the clamps, and made sure nothing was rubbing or blocking the flow of any thing (and made sure the photo had the flash for more detail):

Another view of the Install completed, shows how the Provent sits (not too high right?):

Put the plastic cover back on the engine top, and that's how it looks under the hood now:

Last thing to do was to tie-off the ball-valve drainage hose (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NJENEDO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006PKLJZO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00):
and a closer view:

UPDATED THE RUBBER HOSES WITH SILICON HOSES:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OUVFIR0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I see you update with silicone hoses. Did the rubber hoses crap out on you?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:23 pm 
LOST Member

There was a recommendation from thermorex that I should use silicone hoses, so I made the switch. The rubber hoses didn't leak, but they began to get more flexible and stretchier than they were when I first installed them, so it was showing that silicone was the way to go.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:29 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
I also pull and clean the filter with brake cleaner at the same time.

:SOMBRERO:

I drain mine when I do my oil changes as well, and I get about 4-6 ounces of sludge out. I've tried cleaning my prior filter with acetone, and then brake cleaner without much removal of the gunk. I am going to be draining out the Provent as much as I can, and then cleaning the filter as much as I can, but I'll be putting in a new Provent filter event 3-4 oil changes, depending on the amount of gunk left stuck to the filter.

:)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:17 pm 
LOST Addict

Infinite_Karma wrote:
There was a recommendation from thermorex that I should use silicone hoses, so I made the switch. The rubber hoses didn't leak, but they began to get more flexible and stretchier than they were when I first installed them, so it was showing that silicone was the way to go.

And what did you use to step down form the 1" provent tube to the 3/4" tube for the jeep. Is that just 1" hose crushed down with a clamp?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:13 am 
LOST Member

mass-hole wrote:
Infinite_Karma wrote:

And what did you use to step down form the 1" provent tube to the 3/4" tube for the jeep. Is that just 1" hose crushed down with a clamp?

The 3/4" Silicone hose that I linked stretched just fine over the 1" Provent housing tube without much stress. I can take a photo and upload it and linkit. BRB.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:21 am 
LOST Member

Infinite_Karma wrote:
mass-hole wrote:
Infinite_Karma wrote:

The 3/4" Silicone hose that I linked stretched just fine over the 1" Provent housing tube without much stress. I can take a photo and upload it and linkit. BRB.

Here ya go:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:50 pm 

mass-hole wrote:
And what did you use to step down from the 1" provent tube to the 3/4" tube for the jeep. Is that just 1" hose crushed down with a clamp?

I originally used a simple 3/4 hose to 3/4 female NPT sch. 40 PVC fitting. Putting the 3/4 hose on one end and using some 1" hose to fit it to the Provent fitting. The 1' hose slipped over the outside of the female end of the 3/4 sch. 40 fitting perfect allowing clamping with hose clamps. (see 1st. picture below)

Only problem I found was after about a year of use, the plastic sch. 40 fitting started to deform probably due to hot gasses going through it and the pressure from the hose clamp? :roll:
So I abandoned it and built a pipe out of all copper tubing and wrapped it with insulating tape and used some silicone hose of the proper size at the end connection points. (2nd & 3rd pictures below) :idea:

before insulating

after insulating

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:41 pm 
LOST Junkie

I saw this thread and figured it was time to share a teaser of one of our upcoming products. Coming soon: stay tuned for our ProVent kit!

Yes, those are custom formed silicon hoses. The inside is fluorolined, just like Samco CAC hoses, for superior oil/diesel resistance.

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD
Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon 2.8L Duramax

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:00 pm 

Great Seth! Your only about five years late for some of us. :ROTFL:
But it should sell.
Many on LOST have inquired as to how to mount, route, and connect hoses...

Keep up the good work! :BANANA:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:11 pm 
LOST Junkie

that is good Seth , i would by that set up when is available , also if you can see if you can make bracket for secondary fuel filter ,

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:54 pm 

weeks101 wrote:
I saw this thread and figured it was time to share a teaser of one of our upcoming products. Coming soon: stay tuned for our ProVent kit!

Yes, those are custom formed silicon hoses. The inside is fluorolined, just like Samco CAC hoses, for superior oil/diesel resistance.

Looking for beta testers? I'd be happy to give it a shot and report back.

In fact... Checking my email, I ordered that Provent from you 6 months ago tomorrow :D Would be a good excuse for me to install it!

JBA Lifted A-Arms
Skid Row Skidplates
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:36 am 
LOST Member

Cool, been trying to figure out how to mount one.

When you guys think you'll have the kit ready for sale?

Thanks,

1998 XJ 4.0L, stock with 130,XXX miles

First Jeep: 1962 Willys CJ-3B