It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Koni adjustable shock initial setting and bump stop source.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:52 am 
LOST Member

I'm lifting my CRD with OME springs all around, but opted for Koni adjustable shocks up front. Anyone have recommendations for setting the konis? I've read they have to be disassembled in order to change the setting, so I'd like to get it right the first time.

I don't do a huge amount of off roading, so mostly the Jeep will see highway use, occasional towing of a trailer, and be thrown into 4wd twice daily to go up and down a half mile of loose, rugged, lava rock driveway.

Where would you guys set them to give the best highway ride, what are the pros and cons of each end of the setting spectrum? I don't know the first thing about what setting to start with and I'm having a shop do the assembly, hopefully tomorrow. If prefer to not have to do it more than once.

Also, factory rear bump stops are shot, are the Crown or Omix Ada versions going to hold up? I'm happy to add hockey pucks, but want to replace what is there and falling apart.

I see photos on here of maroon colored ones that look more substantial than what came on my Jeep, mine are sort of foam filled rubber, the maroon appear to be a more solid rubber. Maybe that's just a trick of the camera.

I've ordered teraflex for the front.

Thanks,
Jon

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Did you hear about the guy who was hooked on brake fluid?
He swears he can stop any time.

Post subject: Re: Koni adjustable shock initial setting and bump stop sour
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

are you sure they have to be disassembled to make any adjustments? my experience with Koni's is there is a collar at the top that rotates to increase/decrease the compression. I'm having trouble imagining how you would do that with the shock inside the spring.

adjustment wise: good luck. between the tire weight, spring rate, your personal preference on ride comfort........ with luck, you will hit it the first time.

let us know how it goes for you.

Ed

Original Owner, 2003 Sport, JBA Coil Overs with FOX remote reservoir shocks, JBA's 4.5 UCA's, Skid Row/Jeep armor, Ruff Stuff rear diff cover, K&N cold air intake kit, Magna Flow exhaust, Iron Rock Off-road rear UCA, Satellite Radio, 03 GC EVIC.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:32 am 
LOST Member

Well, I got everything back together today! Can't wait to get an alignment! The steering at higher speeds seems really sensitive and the Jeep feels top heavy now. I'm hoping a proper alignment will correct that.

When I picked up the coilovers, I asked where they had set the damping...the technician said he couldn't get them to engage, and therefore left them both where they were set when they left the factory. It may be my imagination, but it feels like I have one side set different from the other. The gal who wrung me up, said to bring them back in if they didn't get it right...Fine except for the time to drive into town and the fact that I described how to set them and he still couldn't do it.

I can't believe how sagged my original springs were. I figure I gained close to 5 inches in height at the wheel arches by the OME lift combined with the sagging original springs and new, slightly larger tires.

I found a few more issues, but will deal with them as I find the time. Glad to be back behind the wheel of my little jeep!

Did you hear about the guy who was hooked on brake fluid?
He swears he can stop any time.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:06 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

JieselDeep wrote:
Well, I got everything back together today! Can't wait to get an alignment! The steering at higher speeds seems really sensitive and the Jeep feels top heavy now. I'm hoping a proper alignment will correct that.

When I picked up the coilovers, I asked where they had set the damping...the technician said he couldn't get them to engage, and therefore left them both where they were set when they left the factory. It may be my imagination, but it feels like I have one side set different from the other. The gal who wrung me up, said to bring them back in if they didn't get it right...Fine except for the time to drive into town and the fact that I described how to set them and he still couldn't do it.

I can't believe how sagged my original springs were. I figure I gained close to 5 inches in height at the wheel arches by the OME lift combined with the sagging original springs and new, slightly larger tires.

I found a few more issues, but will deal with them as I find the time. Glad to be back behind the wheel of my little jeep!

Before you get a proper alignment it will handle badly

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:23 pm 
LOST Newbie

hello there, those have to be removed to adjust, use the middle for a comfortable ride both on and off road, the soft positions works amazing off road and the stiffer gets you a great ride on tarmac, the back shocks has 3 settings and the front ones you wind up to your favourite setting