It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1" Spacer with Stock Wheels and Tires
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

I've got an '06 Liberty CRD and I need to buy new tires. I'm thinking about getting some 1" spacers to widen the stance just a little bit. My Jeep is still at the stock height, no lift, and I don't want to lift it. I want to get a more aggressive looking tire, and maybe even a wider than stock tire, but keep it around the same overall diameter.

So my questions are:

1. Without any wheel spacers, what width tire can fit on the stock 16x7 rims to keep about the same rolling diameter? And then will that rub anywhere?

2. And then same question but with a 1" spacer? And then will that rub anywhere?

This is what I know so far...
..............................................Width......Sidewall Height.......Overall Height.......Size Difference from Stock
Original Size......225 / 75 R16........8.858"........6.644"....................29.287"...............n/a

New Size.............255 / 65 R16......10.039".......6.526"....................29.051"..............-0.24"
........................255 / 70 R16......10.039".......7.028"....................30.055"...............0.77"
........................245 / 70 R16........9.646"......6.752"....................29.504"...............0.22"

I'd like to get a wider tread width and overall vehicle stance without anything rubbing anywhere. Otherwise, if I can't get that with a wider tire, what happens if I use a 1" spacer with the stock tire size? Would a 1" spacer make the stock tires rub since it changes the wheel's turning pivot/area? I'm thinking that if wider tires will rub, then maybe i'll just keep the stock tire width and get a more aggressive all-terrain tire, which should look good with spacers for the wider overall stance. Otherwise, if just adding spacers creates a rub situation, then I guess I'll just keep everything stock, and run some nicer looking all-terrains and call it a day.

I know I'm kind of jumping all over the place here, so hopefully that all makes sense... What do you guys think? What can I throw on there without any rubbing?

Thanks,
Jim

Post subject: Re: 1" Spacer with Stock Wheels and Tires
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:05 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm not sure why that posted 3 times.... Sorry about that guys.

Jim

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:15 pm 

Big Jimmy wrote:
I'm not sure why that posted 3 times.... Sorry about that guys.
Jim

There is a "delete" button, bottom right corner. :wink:

See this site, very handy calculator:> https://www.willtheyfit.com/

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:24 am 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel wrote:
There is a "delete" button, bottom right corner. :wink:

Thank you... I figured there must be a way, but couldn't see a "delete" link anywhere. That's a pretty small button.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:31 am 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel wrote:

And thank you for this. That's a pretty nice calculator, but it still doesn't really tell me if a certain size will specifically fit or rub on the Liberty. Also, I don't know what the current backspacing is for the stock 16x7 rims. Does anyone here know that?

Jim

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:33 am 
LOST Addict

you don't want to mess with spacers, as your lugs will not stay tight. It's a nightmare. If you use Google and search on here you'll find threads about biggest tires while stock. Even with a 2.5" lift you'll be limited to 245/75's with some trimming, and 255/70's with lots of trimming and clevis and top plates, more rear iso's etc.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:10 am 

Big Jimmy wrote:
WWDiesel wrote:

And thank you for this. That's a pretty nice calculator, but it still doesn't really tell me if a certain size will specifically fit or rub on the Liberty. Also, I don't know what the current backspacing is for the stock 16x7 rims. Does anyone here know that?
Jim

I believe it has been posted on this forum before, that on a non-lifted vehicle, any tire size greater than 235/70/16 will rub. :banghead:
If you want to go bigger, you must install a lift. :roll:

See this on how to measure back spacing:> http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/wheel ... etiquette/

Another neat tire/wheel site:> https://www.wheel-size.com/

For a stock KJ wheel:
Tire size: 225/75R16
Wheel: 7Jx16 ET37.3 (7 inches wide x 16 inches, positive offset of 37.3mm / 1.468504 inches)
Bolt Pattern size: 5x114.3mm / 4.5"
Lug stud thread: 1/2" - 20 UNF
Wheel Center bore: 71.6

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:30 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Big Jimmy wrote:
I've got an '06 Liberty CRD and I need to buy new tires. I'm thinking about getting some 1" spacers to widen the stance just a little bit. My Jeep is still at the stock height, no lift, and I don't want to lift it. I want to get a more aggressive looking tire, and maybe even a wider than stock tire, but keep it around the same overall diameter.

So my questions are:

1. Without any wheel spacers, what width tire can fit on the stock 16x7 rims to keep about the same rolling diameter? And then will that rub anywhere?

2. And then same question but with a 1" spacer? And then will that rub anywhere?

This is what I know so far...
..............................................Width......Sidewall Height.......Overall Height.......Size Difference from Stock
Original Size......225 / 75 R16........8.858"........6.644"....................29.287"...............n/a

New Size.............255 / 65 R16......10.039".......6.526"....................29.051"..............-0.24"
........................255 / 70 R16......10.039".......7.028"....................30.055"...............0.77"
........................245 / 70 R16........9.646"......6.752"....................29.504"...............0.22"

I'd like to get a wider tread width and overall vehicle stance without anything rubbing anywhere. Otherwise, if I can't get that with a wider tire, what happens if I use a 1" spacer with the stock tire size? Would a 1" spacer make the stock tires rub since it changes the wheel's turning pivot/area? I'm thinking that if wider tires will rub, then maybe I'll just keep the stock tire width and get a more aggressive all-terrain tire, which should look good with spacers for the wider overall stance. Otherwise, if just adding spacers creates a rub situation, then I guess I'll just keep everything stock, and run some nicer looking all-terrains and call it a day.

I know I'm kind of jumping all over the place here, so hopefully that all makes sense... What do you guys think? What can I throw on there without any rubbing?

Thanks,
Jim

x2 on avoiding spacers.
Necessary things we still don't know
#1 What you are willing to spend. (wheels&tires VS Goodyear tires only VS cheaper tires only.) In addition to complete alignment.
#2 What kind of fuel mileage and tire life to you expect to get?
#3 How much suspension sag (measurement from center of wheel to bottom of fender flares all around)
#4 Brand, condition and age of existing shocks / ball joints.
#5 Where you live (year round climate) and how your rig is used. %(highway / rural roads / offroad / type (grassy dirt, mud, sand, gravel, rock climbing, etc.))

I also have and '06 with the above underlined size. The brand and p# is in my sig. I have less than 1/8" sag all around, and get no problematic rubbing. (enough contact is made at front inside of left front tire that it keeps the inner fender clean, but not worn away.) This may be different if I had more heavily lugged tires. IDK.

Sites with spec and size comparisons

Tirerack.com
SimpleTire
Discount Tire Direct.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:38 am 
LOST Junkie

Just chiming in to say I run spacers and have had no issues with them loosening up.

I just use red loctite and torque the inner lugs to 100ft/lbs.

I checked them every 3000 miles at first but now do it every other oil change when I rotate my tires.

If you do use spacers get a quality set such as spidertrax.

Though if you can, getting new wheels with the correct backspacing is the best way to go.

L.O.S.T. #31000

'03 KJ Freedom Edition - 4" JBA Coilover Lift w/ 32" Cooper STT PROs
'98 XJ Sport - 6" Full-Traction 4-Link Long Arm - Jeepspeed #2731 (Race Jeep)

DobermanRacing.com - Team Driver
Sponsored by UltRanger & CellTech

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

GordnadoCRD wrote:
x2 on avoiding spacers.
Necessary things we still don't know
#1 What you are willing to spend. (wheels&tires VS Goodyear tires only VS cheaper tires only.) In addition to complete alignment.
#2 What kind of fuel mileage and tire life to you expect to get?
#3 How much suspension sag (measurement from center of wheel to bottom of fender flares all around)
#4 Brand, condition and age of existing shocks / ball joints.
#5 Where you live (year round climate) and how your rig is used. %(highway / rural roads / offroad / type (grassy dirt, mud, sand, gravel, rock climbing, etc.))

I also have and '06 with the above underlined size. The brand and p# is in my sig. I have less than 1/8" sag all around, and get no problematic rubbing. (enough contact is made at front inside of left front tire that it keeps the inner fender clean, but not worn away.) This may be different if I had more heavily lugged tires. IDK.

To answer your questions:
1. I don't want to spend money on new wheels. I'm hoping to find a good tire around $160 or less, per tire.
2. I would expect a small hit to the fuel economy, but I'm hoping for not a huge change. I would expect to get anywhere from 40,000 miles to 60,000 miles out of a set of tires.
3. I don't know how much sag I have. I need to measure that, but didn't get a chance to do that today.
4. I have no idea... As far as I know, all of those components are still stock from 2006. It still rides real nice though, in my opinion.
5. I live in the Pacific Northwest, greater Seattle area. 99% highway use, but I do take it up fire roads and primitive roads occasionally. No real off-road rock climbing situations though.

It's mainly just a daily driver, commuter, Liberty... I'm really just trying to get it to look a little more aggressive. And I don't really like how it looks now with the wheels and tires inset so far under the fenders. That's why I was thinking if I could get a tire that is just a little bit wider, and then a small spacer to push the wheels out just a bit, maybe it'll look a bit more like a Jeep should, with a little more meat and a wider stance.

Jim

Post subject: Re: 1
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

Myke wrote:
Just chiming in to say I run spacers and have had no issues with them loosening up.

I just use red loctite and torque the inner lugs to 100ft/lbs.

I checked them every 3000 miles at first but now do it every other oil change when I rotate my tires.

If you do use spacers get a quality set such as spidertrax.

Though if you can, getting new wheels with the correct backspacing is the best way to go.

What size are your spacers? I was looking at maybe doing a 1", but I'm not at all set on that. And are you lifted, or stock height? Do you have any rubbing issues?

Jim

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:02 am 
LOST Newbie

I've been looking at a bunch of tires. So far I like what I'm seeing on the Falken Wildpeak A/T and the Bridgestone Dueler
A/T Revo 3. I like some others as well, but I seem to keep coming back to these two.

Is anyone running either of those? Any reviews? Or suggestions?

Jim

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:42 am 
LOST Addict

So you are looking for something that's good in the rain, and muddy gravel, and still rides good, and quiet..
more aggressive than the stock BF Goodrich shoes, and works on stock wheels, and without rubbing.

I'm currently at the Oregon coast, and am well familiar with the Seattle area as my sister used to live there.

This is what I'm currently using in similar usage. https://simpletire.com/cooper-245-70r16-51770-tires
I'm very happy with them, but I think anything bigger, (width or diameter) would involve pounding welds, cutting out inner fender protection, etc.

This was a very strong temptation to go more aggressive, but it would probably have a lug frequency howl.

If you don't mind going with a little better rain tire, these will probably be better, and you can probably get them at Les Schwab or even Costco.

Here is another one you can get locally, and you would probably be happy with.

Edit: This one is very highly rated by many, for off-road performance, and known to routinely last 80K to 90k miles.
https://simpletire.com/goodyear-lt225-75r16-312009142-tires
Goodyear's Fierce Attitude M/T, and their Wrangler MT/R are similar construction, and something to consider.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:13 pm 
LOST Newbie

Alright, here's the update...

I just bought a set of these: COOPER DISCOVERER A/T3 245/70R-16

Now I just have to decide if I want the white lettering sidewall out, or the black-wall sidewall out. What's everyone's opinion on that? I'm on the fence, I kinda like the look both ways.

As for the other question, to add a spacer or not add a spacer... I'm just going to get these installed first, see what that looks like (or if there's any rubbing or not), and go from there. If I like the way it looks and fits, I will probably just forget about the spacer. We'll see. I'll update again once they are installed.

Jim

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well, here she is, before and after photos. I think these tires look awesome. This is just with the new tires on stock rims, no wheel spacers. I haven't really crawled under it yet to look at the clearances, but as it is now, these do not rub at all (at least, not that I've noticed yet anyway).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:09 pm 
LOST Member

Those look great! And white letters out was a good call too! Your rims (and your entire rig for that matter) appear to be in great condition - congrats on the nice upgrade.

Facet Fuel Pump, Secondary Fuel Filter
ARPs, 188 Degree Thermostat
GDE Eco Tune Full Torque
OME 1.5", JBA A-Arms and Top Plates
245/75/16s, Spidertrax

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

iakj11 wrote:
Those look great! And white letters out was a good call too! Your rims (and your entire rig for that matter) appear to be in great condition - congrats on the nice upgrade.

Thanks man, I appreciate that.

Another related question... Now I have the new tires on, obviously, but I still have the original stock spare tire on the back of my Jeep. Will that be a problem in a flat tire situation? If I have to put the spare on with these new tires, then I'll be running slightly different sized tires at the same time. The overall diameter difference is only .22" on paper (I haven't measured the actual tires side by side), so is that a problem? Could that possibly damage my rear diff, or freak out the Jeep's computer because the tires would be rotating at slightly different speeds? I wouldn't think that .22" would be a big enough difference to be any kind of a problem, but I thought I should ask you guys to see if anyone had any experience with any problems if you run different sized tires at the same time.

Thanks guys,
Jim

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:06 pm 
LOST Addict

If you do any off-roading, you should carry a spare.

If you haul a spare around, it should match the other 4, and be included in each rotate - balance service so they all wear evenly.

If you only drive on streets-roads-highways, you might be better to drop the spare and keep your AAA membership current.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:29 am 
LOST Member

I wouldn't have any reservations running your stock sized spare in an emergency situation. Just use some common sense:
1) Keep speeds reasonable.
2) Drive straight home or to the tire shop.
3) Keep it out of 4WD.

If you happen to have the trac-lock differential in the rear then I would not use the stock sized spare on the rear.
You might get an ABS light, but I am far from qualified to be sure about that.
I'm also not sure about the stability control thing on the '06's. Can you just turn that off?

The idea of buying a fifth tire might be a little unsavory, but the five wheel rotation that Gordnado references will allow you to at least get your money's worth...

Good Luck!

Facet Fuel Pump, Secondary Fuel Filter
ARPs, 188 Degree Thermostat
GDE Eco Tune Full Torque
OME 1.5", JBA A-Arms and Top Plates
245/75/16s, Spidertrax

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:14 pm 
LOST Newbie

iakj11 wrote:
I wouldn't have any reservations running your stock sized spare in an emergency situation. Just use some common sense:
1) Keep speeds reasonable.
2) Drive straight home or to the tire shop.
3) Keep it out of 4WD.

Exactly what I was thinking... If I had to do it, it would be for as little time as possible.
iakj11 wrote:
If you happen to have the trac-lock differential in the rear then I would not use the stock sized spare on the rear.
You might get an ABS light, but I am far from qualified to be sure about that.
I'm also not sure about the stability control thing on the '06's. Can you just turn that off?

I'm not sure if I have the trac-lock diff, but I don't think I do. And I don't know if you can turn off the stability control thing either. I need to look into that. But I was already thinking that as well, that if I had to run the spare, the safest way to do it would be to put the spare on one of the front wheels and then keep it in 2 wheel drive only.
iakj11 wrote:
The idea of buying a fifth tire might be a little unsavory, but the five wheel rotation that Gordnado references will allow you to at least get your money's worth...

I wouldn't really be opposed to having a matching spare, but then my stock spare tire cover wouldn't fit on it, and that kinda bugs me from just an OCD perspective. I've always thought that you should have your spare covered to protect it from getting UV damage (or something like that), but I guess I have no idea if that is really a problem or not.

Jim