It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Replaced the turbo but CRD is not happy
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:40 am 
LOST Newbie

First post but have been following for years thanks for all the useful threads. Need help diagnosing my unhappy '05 CRD limited. Had it since new, now at 135k miles. Did the timing belt and few other maintenance items when needed but did not listen to the loud turbo(and wife) noise a week prior to having the turbo go on the highway and had it towed home. Lost about 1 qt oil and the exhaust impeller into the down pipe. 135K miles, stock motor with Samco hoses. Replaced the turbo with one from sasquatch. New PCV valve, 5V glow plugs, elephant hose. Cleaned the caked over MAP and the tube from the FCV to the EGR valve when replacing the glow plugs. Did not dig into the EGR valve or intake manifold. It will start and idle sometimes but stutter and die after 1-2 seconds other times. If I pump the pedal the rpm's will come up and run sort of but can stumble and die. tried to move it and that causes the motor to stumble and die as well. It has a white smoke from unburned fuel mixed in with oil smoke from the cat and muffler. I have a basic scanner and don’t show any codes. any ideas?

Post subject: Re: Replaced the turbo but CRD is not happy
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:09 am 
LOST Member

Coked over Cat?
When it does run for that second or so, is it hitting on all 4 to begin, then falters and chugs out?

Sasquatch elbow kit, samcos, GDE eco FT. 11-26-14
80,500 miles, engine is disassembled, awaiting parts 3/18
Budget?? Sure! 'Everything I have'.
New "Pet" name for My Jeep; 'Soul Sucker'

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:16 pm 
LOST Addict

others better qualified will chime in but make sure that vacuum is activating movement at turbo by moving actuator by hand and hooking and unhooking vacuum line.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:30 pm 
LOST Addict

thinking more that wouldn't have much effect at idle. Its possible that replacing the turbo you might have disrupted crank sensor connector that would definitely act that way.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:25 pm 
LOST Addict

You said no codes but do you have a check engine light on?

It will take a long time for the oil that went down the exhaust to burn off, and will make huge clouds of smoke. Last time I did a turbo I removed the exhaust and rinsed with gasoline and still has oil dripping out the exhaust. I waited until night with a completely cold engine so I could get out on town and open it up on the highway.

That said, the above is not related to your other problem. Even with a massive boost leak it should still idle.

You said you replaced the glow plugs but did you disconnect any other wiring such as fuel injectors or anything on the rail?

When you did the turbo what all did you remove?

Even if the turbo vac actuator was not connected it should still idle.

What part of Denver are you in?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:14 am 
LOST Newbie

Work has been unrelenting the last couple days I'll try and figure how to answer your questions.
No check engine light. Have unplugged the MAF and it will come on.
It will take a long time for the oil that went down the exhaust to burn off, and will make huge clouds of smoke. Last time I did a turbo I removed the exhaust and rinsed with gasoline and still has oil dripping out the exhaust. I waited until night with a completely cold engine so I could get out on town and open it up on the highway.
I figured on the smoke. I drained the down pipe and cat, sprayed out with brake cleaner. I was thinking the same tactic for burning out the muffler.

That said, the above is not related to your other problem. Even with a massive boost leak it should still idle.

You said you replaced the glow plugs but did you disconnect any other wiring such as fuel injectors or anything on the rail?
I did not remove any of the wiring on the fuel rail. Cleaned the MAP sensor. I was able to look at the pressure PID and had 5-6K psi at idle and 16k PSI at 2000 rpm

Pulled the air box out, drained coolant to pull resivoir, inter cooler hoses, turbo, down pipe off to drain, couple heat shields, for the glow plugs pulled battery, alternator, EGR intake valve assembly,

I have had it idle once or twice but no power once the transmission is shifted to drive just dies

I'm in Lakewood not to far from 6th and Kippling. I was wondering what a plugged cat would act like or if the broken impeller could damage the matrix enough for back pressure to cause this. I'll check the crank sensor tomorrow hopefully

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:51 am 
LOST Junkie

Curious, before the turbo died, was the Jeep making kind of a hollow popping noise and idling a little rougher?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:34 am 
LOST Addict

airheadgs wrote:
Work has been unrelenting the last couple days I'll try and figure how to answer your questions.
No check engine light. Have unplugged the MAF and it will come on.
I figured on the smoke. I drained the down pipe and cat, sprayed out with brake cleaner. I was thinking the same tactic for burning out the muffler.

I did not remove any of the wiring on the fuel rail. Cleaned the MAP sensor. I was able to look at the pressure PID and had 5-6K psi at idle and 16k PSI at 2000 rpm

Pulled the air box out, drained coolant to pull resivoir, inter cooler hoses, turbo, down pipe off to drain, couple heat shields, for the glow plugs pulled battery, alternator, EGR intake valve assembly,

I have had it idle once or twice but no power once the transmission is shifted to drive just dies

I'm in Lakewood not to far from 6th and Kippling. I was wondering what a plugged cat would act like or if the broken impeller could damage the matrix enough for back pressure to cause this. I'll check the crank sensor tomorrow hopefully

If you were seeing 5-6k psi at idle and 16000 psi at 2000 rpm then you were probably looking at the fuel rail pressure sensor, not the map sensor.

Map sensor should read 1-2 psi boost above ambient pressure at idle and peak around 19psi boost at WOT ~2000 rpm.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:23 pm 
LOST Newbie

Did not notice it idling rough but I wasn't paying close attention.

I'll check the MAP pressures.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:06 pm 

Highly possible you have a stopped up CAT?
A totally stopped up CAT would act just like an exhaust brake and choke off any flow through the engine even at idle.
As a test, disconnect the CAT from the down pipe, start engine and see if it will idle.
If it does, try driving it a little and see if it performs ok. It will be noisy but not too bad.

If you find that the CAT is the problem, you can remove it completely and install a straight piece of exhaust tubing
or, if you want to keep the CAT installed for visual reasons (inspections)
simply bust out all the inside guts in the CAT and discard. (if you go this route, be sure and wear a dust mask and safety glasses)

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

Removed the cat and put in a straight pipe for now.
watched the MAP sensor and was 24.8 inHg or 12.2 psi and stayed that way. I was able to start the engine and it idled and when I went to a 1700-2000 RPMs the MAP did not change. Not sure what the refresh rate is but the fuel rail pressure was changing with rpm. Still not showing any codes. When rpms fall back down to 1000 or so it will start running very rough then stop.
I did not pull the intercooler to clean out with gas like sir sam has, would that clog up to a point where enough air can't get through but then I would expect to see a lower pressure reading at higher rpms on the MAP.
I am stumped by no codes generated by the rough running. If I unplug a sensor that will show a code.

Thanks all for the input so far.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:34 am 
LOST Addict

It seems that 12.2 psi is your ambient atmospheric pressure. Which seems pretty normal for your altitude.
The fact that the reading never changed leaves three possibilities:
1. The turbo isn’t spinning and therefore not producing and boost.
2. The MAP sensor is broken.
3. Your scan tool is actually reading and ambient pressure sensor and not the MAP sensor.

A turbo with failed vacuum controls will still produce some boost. It seems unlikely for the shaft of the new turbo to be seized already but this is something that is easy to check.

A bad MAP sensor will set a code. Although you might have to actually try to drive it for it to set a code. At the very least, remove and inspect the MAP sensor. If it dirty, clean it with some carb cleaner.

Idk what kind of scan tool you are using but many don’t work right with the CRD. So #3 is also a possibility.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

Checked couple things
turbo spins freely and seemed like it should work.

I am reading the airbox pressure not the boost using an innova 31603 another lesson learned.

pulled the ERG pipe off and plugged it and all the stalling issues went away. So
ERG valve is stuck open. I had cleaned the pipe out when replacing the glow plugs creating my own grief :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I know this is a major issue with the CRD. Why I didn't start there I'll never know. :banghead:

Thank you to all that have given advice.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:33 pm 

airheadgs wrote:
Checked couple things
turbo spins freely and seemed like it should work.
I am reading the airbox pressure not the boost using an innova 31603 another lesson learned.
pulled the ERG pipe off and plugged it and all the stalling issues went away. So
ERG valve is stuck open. I had cleaned the pipe out when replacing the glow plugs creating my own grief :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
I know this is a major issue with the CRD. Why I didn't start there I'll never know. :banghead:
Thank you to all that have given advice.

Time for the Weeks Elbow Kit Stage II! Get rid of all that EGR crap...
Your Jeep will love you for it! :D

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:03 am 
LOST Newbie

The turbocharger is a forced induction system that is used to increase the efficiency and performance of the engine. is it right?