It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "part time" light ON while in 2H ?!?!? HEEELP...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:02 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi all,

My '03 KJ (SelecTrac) encountered a problem while shifting from 4H to 2H at speed exceeding 60mph! (Blame my wife, she drove it!). Now the "part time" light is ON when 2H is selected, and the "part time" light is OFF while 4H is selected :?: The t-case seems to connect & disconnect between 2H and 4H just fine, but somehow the "part time" light function got reversed... Anyone ever encounter this problem? And how do I go about fixing it? Please email me direct at pelle@pelle.net

Thanks!
Pelle

98 TJ
01 WJ
03 KJ

Post subject: Re: "part time" light ON while in 2H ?!?!? HEEELP
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:14 pm 
LOST Addict

Jeepin wrote:
Hi all,

My '03 KJ (SelecTrac) encountered a problem while shifting from 4H to 2H at speed exceeding 60mph! (Blame my wife, she drove it!). Now the "part time" light is ON when 2H is selected, and the "part time" light is OFF while 4H is selected :?: The t-case seems to connect & disconnect between 2H and 4H just fine, but somehow the "part time" light function got reversed... Anyone ever encounter this problem? And how do I go about fixing it? Please email me direct at pelle@pelle.net

Thanks!
Pelle

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=6772&highlight=part+light

Here's a link to a few more links of people who have had the same problem. It ended up being the 4WD switch at the transfer case. I would suggest bringing it to the dealer for something like that, I think jeep is the only place to get the replacement parts from (and there's no guarantee that it's just that switch, either)

I'll email you as well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

:lol:
your wife did it!
:lol:

hope it works out for ya!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:25 pm 
LOST Member

maybe if you have your wife try it again at 80 mph it will fix it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:42 pm 
LOST Member

Have you tried cycling it through 4hi and 4lo back to 2hi a couple of times. Mine has did this once, and this fixed it.

Otherwise stock!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2290621
--------------------------------
Ex-Chinook Flight Engineer ( you call, we haul )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:06 pm 
I live here
I live here

Like he said.

1st: Drive around and shift it back and forth. Try doing it in neutral a few times. If it stays that way, dealer time.

2nd, get a new wife.

Just kidding. Educate her on do's and don'ts of shifting 4-wheel drive at high speeds.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:29 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

had this happen on my 03 as well
cost me 80 bucks to get it replaced at the dealer, it was the transfer case switch.

Post subject: Re: "part time" light ON while in 2H ?!?!? HEEELP...
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:12 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I just fixed mine. Put the selector in 4 low. The rest is done by feel. Use a compressor and blowgun to blow off debris from the area of the switch. Feel around for the switch,wires and connector on the top driver's side of the transfer case. Squeeze the side of the connector and remove it. Use a 1.5 inch socket like the one pictured. It is a half inch drive but to reduce the size of the ratchet I used a half to 3/8 drive adapter and a 3/8 Swivel head ratchet. A 1/2 inch ratchet might work. It's all a tight fit. Remove the old switch and screw in the new. Took me about 15 minutes.

OME, Rancho, RRO A arms, RRO roof rails w/ diy cross bars, Dual XHD7714 with Pyle speakers, drop in K&N air filter with home made CAI, 8k smittybilt winch , Sears Platinum P1, in cab winch control, 100w Optilux lights, 7" e-code Hella headlights,245/75-16C Duratracs. DIY rockrails, DIY rear double deck cargo rack.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

do yourself a favor and do exactly what candpliberty describes. There is a youtube video out there where the guy says taking out the center console and accessing the switch from the cabin is the only way.

I couldn't figure out the orientation of the electrical connector by feel. So I stuff my phone between the T-case and the body and took a picture of it. outside of that, its a snap. if memory serves, the local auto parts wanted $90 for the switch. I ordered one from an on line parts house for about $50.

let us know.

Ed

Original Owner, 2003 Sport, JBA Coil Overs with FOX remote reservoir shocks, JBA's 4.5 UCA's, Skid Row/Jeep armor, Ruff Stuff rear diff cover, K&N cold air intake kit, Magna Flow exhaust, Iron Rock Off-road rear UCA, Satellite Radio, 03 GC EVIC.

Last edited by metalengineer on Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

metalengineer- I saw that video also. I couldn't see taking apart the console to replace the switch. I installed the new switch then plugged the wire in by feel. The oblong shape and the orientation spline inside the plug made it doable. :pepper:

OME, Rancho, RRO A arms, RRO roof rails w/ diy cross bars, Dual XHD7714 with Pyle speakers, drop in K&N air filter with home made CAI, 8k smittybilt winch , Sears Platinum P1, in cab winch control, 100w Optilux lights, 7" e-code Hella headlights,245/75-16C Duratracs. DIY rockrails, DIY rear double deck cargo rack.