It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tail light wiring
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:14 pm 
LOST Newbie

Anyone know the color correspondence for the kj tail lights? My right brake light won’t work but the tail light does so I know I have a wiring issue for the brake light since the brake and tail lights use the same bulb. I’d like to know what color wire is for the brakes so I can just run a jump wire from the left brake light but I don’t have a test light to find out which one it is through trail and error

Post subject: Re: Tail light wiring
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:15 am 
LOST Member

Alycian wrote:
Anyone know the color correspondence for the kj tail lights? My right brake light won’t work but the tail light does so I know I have a wiring issue for the brake light since the brake and tail lights use the same bulb. I’d like to know what color wire is for the brakes so I can just run a jump wire from the left brake light but I don’t have a test light to find out which one it is through trail and error

Check if you are actually getting voltage at the bulb when brake pedal is jammed down.
The rear light sockets are known to overheat at times and the contacts melt themselves away into the plastic. Also obviously swap over or replace the bulb itself.

Best to download the KJ Service Manuals for your year KJ...except 2004..here.
The Wiring Diagrams are in section 8W....if you have the correct manuals you will be able to solve any future problems.

If yours is a 2004 model then check out the 2003 or 2005 models....the wire colors do change between years! You could put a voltmeter on the brake lamp that works....the colors for left and right side should be the same, 2005 model the wires are White/Tan :wink:

KJ Manuals: http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:03 am 
LOST Newbie

Change the bulb first as tail light and brake one are using different filaments in the bulb. If one is broken, the other one will still function.

This is not the exact bulb used in Jeep, but the principal is the very same.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:16 am 
LOST Newbie

Billybob wrote:
Alycian wrote:

Check if you are actually getting voltage at the bulb when brake pedal is jammed down.
The rear light sockets are known to overheat at times and the contacts melt themselves away into the plastic. Also obviously swap over or replace the bulb itself.

Best to download the KJ Service Manuals for your year KJ...except 2004..here.
The Wiring Diagrams are in section 8W....if you have the correct manuals you will be able to solve any future problems.

If yours is a 2004 model then check out the 2003 or 2005 models....the wire colors do change between years! You could put a voltmeter on the brake lamp that works....the colors for left and right side should be the same, 2005 model the wires are White/Tan :wink:

KJ Manuals: http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ

Thanks! Forgot to mention that I have an 06 KJ since I didn’t know Chrysler would change the wiring harness on the same generation. I’ve changed the bulb like three times hoping it was just garbage bulbs but no such luck. Somehow haven’t gotten pulled over even though it’s been like that for a good 3 month

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:11 am 
LOST Member

So download the 2006 Jeep KJ Service Manual from the link I posted, buy a cheap digital multi meter and test for +12 volts on the correct tail light wire with respect to the ground wire for that bulb socket.

The sockets are known to give problems as the contacts inside them can get hot, melt the plastic and then sink into the plastic....so you may need to replace the socket. :?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:03 am 
LOST Newbie

Grotsoldaat wrote:
Change the bulb first as tail light and brake one are using different filaments in the bulb. If one is broken, the other one will still function.

This is not the exact bulb used in Jeep, but the principal is the very same.

thanks for this info!
https://diceus.com/erp-software-companies-dubai/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:54 am 
LOST Newbie

Thank you for the info. This is very helpful.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:59 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks a lot.