It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Engine oil in header tank 2005 2.8crd
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi I have a jeep liberty 2005 2.8 crd, I have just discovered engine oil in my header tank, engine is running fine and is smooth 68,000 miles.
I do not want to touch the head yet so my first idea was replace the oil cooler gasket and check it out for damage maybe the oil is being pumped into the header tank through the cooler. Any help would be much appreciated, by the way I am in Oxfordshire England.

Cheers

Post subject: Re: Engine oil in header tank 2005 2.8crd
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:29 pm 
LOST Member

Make sure you aren't getting coolant into the oil sump as well! milky thick froth on the dipstick.

Is this oil more like a coating on the walls of the tank, or is there actual oil sitting on the bottom? (or floating on coolant) LOL. Which compartment in this tank is getting fouled? Main part, or the expansion part?

Hopefully it's the oil cooler area, but if the gasket is ok, don't stop there; it could be the cooler itself.

Sasquatch elbow kit, samcos, GDE eco FT. 11-26-14
80,500 miles, engine is disassembled, awaiting parts 3/18
Budget?? Sure! 'Everything I have'.
New "Pet" name for My Jeep; 'Soul Sucker'

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:33 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi thanks for my first reply, I have drained coolant, the header tank main compartment had quite allot of oil in it all around sides and floating etc I will check expansion side today and drain oil to check if it looks like water has mixed into the oil side of things. Good advice about cooler itself I will check that once I have figured out how to get it off I did not want to take water pump off because that means taking the timing belt off but they look very close together and I might have to strip the front to get at the side of the block. I can get another cooler but of course it is quite expensive so will wait to inspect it.

Thanks for the help its most welcome.

Cheers
Chris

ps my jeep is called jade (sometimes witch) but I am very fond of the old girl.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:06 am 
LOST Member

68k miles? I'll assume it's still the original timing belt and components. You may want to really consider doing the procedure at this time, especially getting this deep.
My water pump went bad (bearing) at less than 90k miles< belt jumped< broken rockers..
Age seems to be just as important as miles in this area.

Oil floats.. and ends up in the highest point; the coolant bottle.
It's still got everything pretty coated elsewhere.
I've used Cascade dish soap to clean up a cooling system after a oil cooler has 'let go'. Drain out the old coolant, and refill with plain water and some dissolved 'regular' (non scented) Cascade powder. A couple cups should do the trick. Drive around a hour or so.. Drain and flush several times.
Personally, I'd leave just plain water in it for a day or two just to see if any more oil appears in the tank. No sense on fouling brand new coolant until you are certain the leak, and all residual oil is gone.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:12 pm 

Being oil pressure is many times higher than coolant pressure in an engine, even the slightest crack or tiny opening will allow oil to find it's way into the coolant system. And since oil always comes to the top of water or antifreeze in this case; it will collect in the coolant reservoir tank as it is the "high point" in the coolant system.

There are limited ways oil can get into the a cooling system:
    1. Engine Oil Cooler, as you mentioned. (easiest one to eliminate)
    2. Cracked Head, allowing oil under pressure to leak through an internal crack between a pressurized oil galley and one of the coolant passages.
    3. Leaking Head gasket*, allowing oil under pressure to leak by the head gasket between a pressurized oil galley and one of the coolant passages.
    ----*One of the more common ways oil and coolant mix.
    4. Less likely is an engine block with a similar internal crack. (very rare)

:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have done quite allot of work to get at the oil cooler it is not an easy job at all, water pump must be removed to gain access to the oil cooler this means same work as timing belt, front has to be dismantled and timing back plate needs to be removed. Even when you get to the pump the elbow on housing needs removing one bolt is really difficult to get at but I managed to shift it, then water pump housing needs to be removed from engine block this gives you room to get at the cooler. I have drained oil and there was no water in oil so that is good, the water passages and pump have oil in them though, I am in the process of cleaning it all up. Does anyone know which of the three holes on back of cooler go to oil and water, my thoughts are want to test the old one under pressure and also the new one to make sure it is ok there is such allot of work I do not want to fit it all back together just to find it puts oil back into water ways through header tank etc. My idea was to get a plate of metal to block the ports on back of cooler and the put into a bucket of water attach pipe to compreser and pump air into it if I see bubbles out of old one it is bad.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:27 pm 
LOST Member

Can't help with which holes are which.. My cooler is still bolted on the short block.
But can you just take some compressed air, and shoot it in one of the holes, and see which other 'hole' it comes out? Residual oil or coolant should come out too.. telling you which fluid was in that particular circuit.
Then you can block off that passage for pressure testing.

How did the gasket look?
my guess is the 2 holes that are close together are oil. They are smaller. and a LONG ways from the other larger one (separation is good)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the help and advice, I have managed to finish the job which was not easy at all but must have saved lots of money doing it myself. I fitted new water pump, new oil cooler which was a cow to get out, in the end I jacked up the engine under bell housing to take the engine mounting bracket off just so the old oil cooler would clear the studs. If I had a lift it might be possible to work from below and take engine mounting off on that side to gain access, I am at the stage now where I am running with water and flushing out each weekend the oil is now little droplets dispersed in water. Next stage will be to put antifreeze back in for winter, the radiator drain plug (plastic thing) is a right pain in the backside to use so I am now just taking bottom hose off when it has been warmed up for flushing. Seems like problem is solved because she is not overheating and no new oil in header tank which I still can not get clean, I tried bleach and rice which did clean a bit out but the compartments are still dirty over the walls of the tank.
Anyway
Thanks Guys

Ps I managed to plastic weld the abs headlight panel because someone must have backed into the jeep without me knowing the panel was damaged and cracked, I used a large soldering iron and metal staples from welding wire to fix the broken parts.

Cheers Chris

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:23 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi, I'm at the same job. I'll change the gasket first and pressure test the cooler. I would like to know what the end of this story was. Thanks!