It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Factory Diffs.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:05 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm just curious how strong our differentials are.

I'm the type of person who likes to fix something before it brakes. I don't like to be broke down. It makes me unhappy.

I just started Overlanding my KK and I'm in love. I been going out with a lot of Wrangler guys and I'm just worried I'm gonna eventually brake something in my diff. They are obvious unfamiliar with anything liberty (continually and accidentally calling it a Patriot) and we're suprised to see me right there with them over every obstacle.

I just don't want to over do it. So what are the limits of the Diffs? ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Factory Diffs.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:17 pm 
LOST Newbie

I've wheeled mine fairly hard. The only thing i have had issues with is the steering rack. Blowing seals and braking mounts.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:27 pm 
LOST Addict

The 02-07 KJ Liberty had an aluminum Dana 30A front differential that would sometimes crack in off-road situations. It would normally happen during periods where a wheel was spinning and then all of a sudden it would get traction and BOOM. Also it was not strong enough to run anything lower than 4.10’s. JBA sells a steel diff for KJ’s to get around this problem.

Jeep fixed this problem on the 08-12 KK Liberty. Our Dana 30 front diffs are steel and they take the same gears as a JK Wrangler, even up to 4.88 (although I’ve never heard of anyone needing more than 4.56 in a KK). So you can rest easy about the front diff.

The rear diff is the Chrysler 8.25, which has a long track record of being awesome. It was used in XJ Cherokees and many people wheel those hard. I wouldn’t worry about the rear either.

The one weak point that the KK sometimes has is the steering rack. Some people have busted the seals, and others have broken the attachment point on the rack where it bolts to the frame rails. I mostly hear about this from people who rock crawl, and need to turn the front wheels against some obstacle that won’t budge. But it is a potential issue. Search for steering rack in the KK section and you will find some threads from mostly hard core wheelers out west, in the south, or in Australia. I’ve never had an issue with my steering rack and I’ve taken my KK on many forest roads, Jeep trails, and firebreaks. Again, never rock crawled or taken a more difficult line than I needed to when I could avoid an obstacle.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:33 pm 
LOST Newbie

This is super awesome news to me. I was afraid I was to weak to do anything to agresive. So far I have not been stuck or come close to being stuck. Even tried a couple times, having the left front tire about 3 feet in the air and the right rear about a foot. Put it in park, ebrake on, and then got out of the car. All the wranger guys thought I was stuck and offered to pull me out but I said no I'm fine. Got in, gave it a little gas till the BLD kicked in and just came right out, hitting maybe a little harder than I would have liked on the front but I didn't hit the bump stops or anything. Guess I'll just keep trying to get stuck.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have a ratchet strap around the Passenger side of the steering rack and the cross member of the frame. (watch your hard lines) I have not broke the mount since I did this cheep insurance plan.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:51 pm 
LOST Member

lfhoward wrote:
Jeep fixed this problem on the 08-12 KK Liberty. Our Dana 30 front diffs are steel and they take the same gears as a JK Wrangler, even up to 4.88 (although I’ve never heard of anyone needing more than 4.56 in a KK). So you can rest easy about the front diff.

Is this true? I was researching about gears and lockers and I was told that the KK front dif is still aluminum even for the 2008. But great news.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:14 am 
LOST Addict

Gilcano wrote:
lfhoward wrote:

Is this true? I was researching about gears and lockers and I was told that the KK front dif is still aluminum even for the 2008. But great news.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I could be wrong about them being steel. But they are tougher and a better design than the KJ version that could only be geared to 4.10.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997