It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rear Upper Control Arm Bushings
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:28 am 
LOST Member

Searched through previous posts as best as I could and I cannot find an answer. My CRD is stock suspension (none lifted) daily driver, not used off road (intentionally).

My original rear upper control arm (boomerang) is probably on it's way out. I purchased a MOOG unit awhile back in preparation for this event, not knowing at the time that there is issues with the MOOG pieces as well.

Question 1: Have the premature failures of the MOOG units been the bushings, ball joints or both?

Question 2: I have read somewhere on the forum that some of the newer MOOG bushings are filled in solid as opposed to the earlier versions (like the one I have) with voids. Are the newer MOOG Upper Control Arm bushings actually solid now?

Question 3: If the new bushings are beefier, is there merit to replacing them to start with before I use the new boomerang I have. I also notice that the bushings in the new arm I have are not pressed installed in the same orientation as has been mentioned in previous posts, so that would be an additional reason for replacement.

I struggle with the excessive price for an OEM unit as well, and I get vary favorable pricing from FCA.

All input greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Rear Upper Control Arm Bushings
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:46 pm 

mrhemi wrote:
Searched through previous posts as best as I could and I cannot find an answer. My CRD is stock suspension (none lifted) daily driver, not used off road (intentionally).
My original rear upper control arm (boomerang) is probably on it's way out. I purchased a MOOG unit awhile back in preparation for this event, not knowing at the time that there is issues with the MOOG pieces as well.
Question 1: Have the premature failures of the MOOG units been the bushings, ball joints or both?
Most have reported bushing failures, the ball joint is pretty robust
Question 2: I have read somewhere on the forum that some of the newer MOOG bushings are filled in solid as opposed to the earlier versions (like the one I have) with voids. Are the newer MOOG Upper Control Arm bushings actually solid now?
The newest MOOG Part Number: moog-k200428. Mopar OEM Part No.: 52088425 :google:
Question 3: If the new bushings are beefier, is there merit to replacing them to start with before I use the new boomerang I have. I also notice that the bushings in the new arm I have are not pressed installed in the same orientation as has been mentioned in previous posts, so that would be an additional reason for replacement.
They are replaceable, but the boomerang metal is so thin it may deform when doing the pressing in of the new bushings.
I struggle with the excessive price for an OEM unit as well, and I get vary favorable pricing from FCA.
All input greatly appreciated.

None of the replacement OEM type boomerangs are worth what they charge for them. Stamped thin flimsy metal with soft bushings that never last very long and are noisy.
If you install one of the IronRock upper control arms using my custom mount it will cost a little more than the OEM unit up front, but is the last one you will ever need to purchase or replace as they are both super heavy duty and the bushings and ball joint are serviceable. Also the Heim Joint is adjustable (pinion angle) which works great for lifted vehicles. (see picture below)

I do have on hand a very slightly used MOOG boomerang arm that I will sell cheap + shipping costs if anyone is interested. I went to the IronRock upper arm and my custom designed mount a little over a year ago, a super great mod. The MOOG unit is setting in my shop just taking up space and is not hurt. I hate to just throw it away.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:51 pm 
LOST Addict

Is your CRD lifted?

If it is, that will put a lot more strain on the boomerang.
If not, then use the one you’ve already purchased. Depending on how you drive it, it might last a long time.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:37 am 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel, could you PM me.
Spoon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:23 pm 

spoon wrote:
WWDiesel, could you PM me.
Spoon

done

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:00 am 
LOST Member

My Jeep is not lifted. Stock, used as a daily driver. I put the MOOG unit I had on hand in last week. World of difference handling wise. i found that both the bushings and the ball joint were worn out on the original. I believe the ball joint was the source of the "clunk" in the rear. All good now, until the next misadventure.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:53 am 
LOST Member

Update to my original query on upper control arm bushings. The Moog unit I previously installed has lasted barely 3 years and 30000km. I recently purchased new Moog "Problem Solver" bushings and ball joint for eventual replacement. They are no different than what came in the replacement control arm that has failed. The pricey Mopar unit is now discontinued in Canada. I believe I will be looking at an Iron Rock replacement now.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:27 pm 

mrhemi wrote:
Update to my original query on upper control arm bushings. The Moog unit I previously installed has lasted barely 3 years and 30000km. I recently purchased new Moog "Problem Solver" bushings and ball joint for eventual replacement. They are no different than what came in the replacement control arm that has failed. The pricey Mopar unit is now discontinued in Canada. I believe I will be looking at an Iron Rock replacement now.

IronRock rear upper super heavy duty control arm, the last one you will ever have to purchase.
https://www.ironrockoffroad.com/product ... a-arm.html

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:39 am 
LOST Member

Thanks WWDiesel, I am aware of the Iron Rock offering, but at this time cannot justify the cost for a vehicle I am only keeping to drive to work for the next year or so. My other CRD Ltd. will probably get one when needed as I intend to keep it longer. As "practicing retirement" morphs into "retirement", I need to pare down the fleet.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:56 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
mrhemi wrote:

IronRock rear upper super heavy duty control arm, the last one you will ever have to purchase.
https://www.ironrockoffroad.com/product ... a-arm.html

From looking at the Ironrock picture, it looks like they use the same bushings as the OEM unit.

So it might be the last boomerang you buy but you will still have to buy bushings !!!!!

Seem like they fix half the problem for a really high price !!!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:15 am 

PZKW108 wrote:
From looking at the Ironrock picture, it looks like they use the same bushings as the OEM unit.
So it might be the last boomerang you buy but you will still have to buy bushings !!!!!

Not true! I have the IronRock control arm, the body mount ends rubber bushings are made out of a much harder and stiffer rubber than the soft OEM bushings in the boomerang.
The IronRock bushings are serviceable, but my IronRock has been in continuous service for over 6 years now with no degrading of the bushings that I can tell.
The ball joint in the Heim joint is also rebuildable and has a grease fitting for periodic greasing.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:05 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
PZKW108 wrote:

Not true! I have the IronRock control arm, the body mount ends rubber bushings are made out of a much harder and stiffer rubber than the soft OEM bushings in the boomerang.
The IronRock bushings are serviceable, but my IronRock has been in continuous service for over 6 years now with no degrading of the bushings that I can tell.
The ball joint in the Heim joint is also rebuildable and has a grease fitting for periodic greasing.

I agree for the ball joint, that look like some kind of johnny joint to me !

But the bushing going to the body are OEM style and even with harder rubber, as long as they are just a cladded rubber bushing, it won't make a big difference. I have some Moog in my garage right now and they are nothing special !

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:35 pm 

PZKW108 wrote:
But the bushing going to the body are OEM style and even with harder rubber, as long as they are just a cladded rubber bushing, it won't make a big difference. I have some Moog in my garage right now and they are nothing special !

Yes it is a ball joint encased in urethane held together with small bolts and is greaseable and rebuildable.
The body end bushings are a very hard rubber and much, much, stiffer than the OEM bushings in the boomerang. Makes a huge difference in allowable movement fore & aft
The OEM bushings in the boomerang were so soft and mushy and they allowed so much movement that the metal of the control arm could actually come in contact with the metal of the body and make a very loud and annoying clunking noise when upshifting or downshifting or running over rough bumps.

That is why way back in 2014 I developed the custom mount that allowed the IronRock control arm to be fitted to the Liberty.
After installing the IronRock control arm, all the clunking noise that I was hearing from the OEM boomerang was gone, and the IronRock arm has been in service for 7 years now and is holding up well. Still no noise from too much movement like the boomerang allowed. :D

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:54 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
PZKW108 wrote:

Yes it is a ball joint encased in urethane held together with small bolts and is greaseable and rebuildable.
The body end bushings are a very hard rubber and much, much, stiffer than the OEM bushings in the boomerang. Makes a huge difference in allowable movement fore & aft
The OEM bushings in the boomerang were so soft and mushy and they allowed so much movement that the metal of the control arm could actually come in contact with the metal of the body and make a very loud and annoying clunking noise when upshifting or downshifting or running over rough bumps.

That is why way back in 2014 I developed the custom mount that allowed the IronRock control arm to be fitted to the Liberty.
After installing the IronRock control arm, all the clunking noise that I was hearing from the OEM boomerang was gone, and the IronRock arm has been in service for 7 years now and is holding up well. Still no noise from too much movement like the boomerang allowed. :D

Would you mind sharing what brand of bushing going to the body are you using !

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:25 pm 

PZKW108 wrote:

I am using the ones that came with the IronRock rear upper control arm and the two lower tracking arms.
They are very hard/firm bushings as compared to the OEM ones that came in the boomerang.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:59 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
PZKW108 wrote:

I am using the ones that came with the IronRock rear upper control arm and the two lower tracking arms.
They are very hard/firm bushings as compared to the OEM ones that came in the boomerang.

Thanks for the publicity but I think your mount is obsolete by now W !!!

Merry Christmas !

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 2:28 am 

PZKW108 wrote:
Thanks for the publicity but I think your mount is obsolete by now W !!!
Merry Christmas !

You are correct, IronRock now provides a mount for the KJ.
Guess they got tired of selling all those control arms to go with my custom mount. :ROTFL:
But that is ok, especially if my mount helped them into starting to provide one for the KJs. :wink:
It was a lot of labor to build the custom mount anyway and not a lot of profit, I am kind of glad in a way.
Making and providing the Viscous Heater delete units is much easier for me. :D

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch