It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello from Oregon
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hello all,

I've had a KJ for about a year now and love it. I've slowly been updating it and cleaning it up. 3" OME lift, bigger tires, new upper control arms, Magniflow muffler and cat delete.

It's been getting harder to start this winter so I figured I'd pull the glow plugs and bench test them today. Bad idea. #1 tip broke off and fell into the cylinder. Pulled the injector and looked into the cylinder and found the tip. Tried blowing air in thru the glow plug hole over and over again hoping to get lucky and get the tip out but no luck.

Just curious if anyone else has had this problem and how they you might get it out without pulling the head.

Any help would be great.

Post subject: Re: Hello from Oregon
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:10 am 
LOST Member

Greeting, I own a shop Redline automotive in Richland Wa, the last time I had a tip break off I took out the injector and blew it out with compressed air, that said be sure to replace the injector cruch washer when you put it back. Another trick my buddy uses is to pull the injector and use a shop vac on the injector hole with the piston in the up position and use a punch to knock it in and the suction will remove it, I do not recommend this idea as it is kinda risky.

To make sure I don't break glow plugs I do a BG intake cleaning when the engine is warmed up fully to clean the carbon from the glow plug so it comes out whole, with this method I have only ever broke 2 in my whole career, it's the same way I do the ford 05-08 3v triton 2 piece spark plugs to avoid breaking them and I have done lots but only ever broke one, the other trick in the future is when you are done with the cleaning make sure you pull the plugs when the engine is still hot so the holes are expanded.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:31 am 
LOST Newbie

Tried the air trick but no luck. Used my snap on bore scope and looked down thru the injector hole. I can see the tip laying on the piston. The air moved it around but it would not come out.

Tried air down the injector hole and in the glow plug hole. I'm thinking the head needs to come off.....

Is the arp head studs still available? And if so do you know the part number?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:07 am 
LOST Member

ID parts now has the head gasket with the arp studs avalibul. First tru to rotate the piston to the up position and use a shop vac through the injector hole and blow air though the glow plug hole to try to disturb it you may get lucky and suck it out.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:44 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
My66dodge wrote:
Greeting, I own a shop Redline automotive in Richland Wa, the last time I had a tip break off I took out the injector and blew it out with compressed air, that said be sure to replace the injector cruch washer when you put it back. Another trick my buddy uses is to pull the injector and use a shop vac on the injector hole with the piston in the up position and use a punch to knock it in and the suction will remove it, I do not recommend this idea as it is kinda risky.

To make sure I don't break glow plugs I do a BG intake cleaning when the engine is warmed up fully to clean the carbon from the glow plug so it comes out whole, with this method I have only ever broke 2 in my whole career, it's the same way I do the ford 05-08 3v triton 2 piece spark plugs to avoid breaking them and I have done lots but only ever broke one, the other trick in the future is when you are done with the cleaning make sure you pull the plugs when the engine is still hot so the holes are expanded.
IMO Vacuum works better than pressure when extracting anything out of the cylinder. Vacuum will work as long as 1) the piece being removed has a smaller cross section than the hole it's coming out of, and 2) the vacuum source is strong enough to hold the piece coming out to the end of the vacuum hose. (it doesn't need to be sucked through the vacuum tube.)

Pressure CAN work, but it also is just as likely to introduce a variety of abrasive particles along with the air you are blowing in.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:03 am 

JimmyD wrote:
Tried the air trick but no luck. Used my snap on bore scope and looked down thru the injector hole. I can see the tip laying on the piston. The air moved it around but it would not come out.
Tried air down the injector hole and in the glow plug hole. I'm thinking the head needs to come off.....
Is the arp head studs still available? And if so do you know the part number?

This may be worth a try?
Mechanical fingers, most auto parts stores sale them along with others who sale automotive tools.
If you can find some with a small enough tip to go through the injector hole, you may be able to fish it out with them?
Would save having to pull the head.
I have some very small ones that I have used in the past to get small parts out of some very bad and tight locations... :wink:

ImageImage

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:17 pm 
LOST Member

I just tried to stick a bore scope down a R428 injector hole this weekend and it was too big to fit, I have a jeep I am flipping that even with the intake off does not turn all the way over, it gets stuck at the top on number 4 so i was trying to peek down the hole but the scope don't fit so I will have to pull another head... Hopefully you can find a way to get it out.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:17 am 
LOST Newbie

Ok so a few days of trying different things I got it out today. My buddy had a $10.00 bore scope camera from Amazon, used camerfi app on my android tablet. Put the camera in the glow plug hole and since the camera had a light built in we could see. Roller the crank over until we saw the piston. Blew compressed air down the injector hole until we could see the broken tip laying in the bowl of the piston.

Took Firestone 1/4 air line and talked it onto the end of my shop vac. Using the camera to get right onto the end of the broken tip I got ahold of it really easy. The first time it sucked onto the air line I had the broken end. As I pulled it into the injector nozzle hole it wasn't centered on the suction line and fell off.

Got back onto it a second time but got it from the tapered end. It sucked right up right and I slowly pulled it right out.

So glad I didn't have to pull the head off.

Thank you all for the advise and support

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:56 pm 
LOST Member

:BANANA: Nice job! :BANANA:

Facet Fuel Pump, Secondary Fuel Filter
ARPs, 188 Degree Thermostat
GDE Eco Tune Full Torque
OME 1.5", JBA A-Arms and Top Plates
245/75/16s, Spidertrax

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:14 pm 

Kudos for you! :BANANA: :pepper:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:36 am 
LOST Newbie

welcome to lost forum

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:39 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Did the new glow plugs take care of the starting issue?

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set