It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 3.7L V6 EGR Delete - Possible?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

Lost the original engine to a blown head gasket. Towed to nearest "garage" :ROTFL: and ordered a remanufactured engine according to the VIN. The mechanic at the garage waited until it was all back together to let me know that the cylinder head did not have the EGR opening and the original head was cracked so it could not be rebuilt. Took it to a real garage later and was told that if it runs well they would just ignore it since the 3.7L can be a tough one get to that "happy zone" of not having to mess with it too much. They recommended a tune to delete the EGR, but would not do it themselves. I see EGR deletes for the Liberty diesel, but is anyone aware of any tunes out there with the EGR deleted for the 3.7L, or how to create my own?

Post subject: Re: 3.7L V6 EGR Delete - Possible?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:42 pm 
LOST Newbie

What year is your Grand Cherokee? You may be able to do it with HPTuners. I turned off EGR on my 09 KK Liberty, and you can disable the OBD monitors for EGR. If you're in or around the Houston area I may be able to help you out without buying the full HP Tuners device

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

It is a 2008. I am in southern Utah but really appreciate the willingness to help. Could I bother you for which tools you used and any pointers on disabling the OBD monitors for the EGR? At least I have a possible path to explore where I thought I was going to have to rebuild or live with the CEL on all of the time.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:02 pm 
LOST Member

Deleting the egr is a bad idea on a gasser, as a profesional mechanic I will tell you whoever did the work was not very skilled! EGT cools the cyl's temps on modern gas engines, they clearly don't understand that. In order to tune out th egr you will need to run more fuel and less timing also higher octane. The egr is like an octane booster in that it cools the in cyl's temps so they can run more ignition timing. The 3.7 is a Mercedes design like the 4.7 and 2.7, I would highly recommend running egr on it! The bggest reason for failures is the same as the crd, poor maintinence, I.e. cheap oil and going over on the changes. My shop is a European and diesel specialty shop so we see these things all the time. The 3.7 has a failure prone valve train like the 4.7 but if maintained well they can make it to 300k, we have a fiew at work in that range but you need to use GOOD oil to protect the valve guides, I have seen many that have worn out guides or lots of sludge from cheap oil. To read more go to bobistheoilguy.com