It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Florida TC versus Suncoast TC
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:03 am 
LOST Member

I am looking for a new torque converter. I have two in mind right now. Florida TC and Suncoast TC.

Here are some differences:
Florida TC has a lifetime warranty vs Suncoast’s 3 year warranty
Suncoast only offers a 1900 stall speed. Florida TC says it is 300-400 lower. I am unsure of stock stall speed but I suspect this (minus 300-400) is lower and I know some have installed the Suncoast and said they wish it was lower.
Florida TC is $120 cheaper.

I have read more than one account of a person installing the Suncoast and still getting some occasional shudder. This was with a shift kit installed. Suncoast said another factor of the shudder is line pressure.

Does anyone have some input to make this an easier decision? I am leaning slightly towards Florida TC.

Post subject: Re: Florida TC versus Suncoast TC
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:11 pm 
LOST Addict

Both are fine choices. Not sure on the stall speeds, but you need to buy a new front pump (ID parts definitely has the correct one) and install all of the upgrades or chances are you will still have shudder. The k9recon fellow did an excellent thread on the upgrades.
If you go with the stock (sloppy) stall, then you MIGHT avoid the line pressure issues like many have done, but I don't think it's worth it.
*Many transmission shops consider the front pump to be a wear item anyhow...
Also, a shift kit without the resistor will also help you get more miles out of the transmission.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:14 pm 
LOST Addict

Please let us know what you find about the stall speeds, as I am about to upgrade and replace my front pump (shudder), and I'll replace my suncoast if the Florida low stall is lower. Gotta love accessing more torque off the line, and offroad :rockon:

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:17 pm 

I have a SunCoast TC in my Jeep CRD, but we did install a new updated front pump along with a TransGo kit at the time of the TC install. This increases line pressure to help insure no slippage during TC lockup. I also have a SunCoast TC in my Dodge Cummins.
I personally have never experienced any shudder (slippage) with the SunCoast and that is even with a Stage IV Hot Tune along with a Diablo Power Puck on top of the tune.
Even pulling a loaded trailer, I have never been able to make it slip or shudder while in lockup.

I can see how a lower stall speed could be advantageous especially for low speed driving around town or wheeling in the rough.
But once the TC has locked up in 4th or 5th, stall speed becomes irrelevant.

My SunCoast TC will spin both rear tires (traclock carrier) on takeoff on wet or damp pavement just by applying to much throttle, so I am not sure I would need a lower stall speed?
But if the Florida TC is cheaper and built just a strong with the heavy billet steel flywheel like the SunCoast TC, it may be a good buy?

Having to learn the hard way by buying and installing the wrong TC can be an expensive lesson. Learned this on my Dodge Cummins when I first installed a TCI converter which only lasted a little longer than the warranty period. Installed a SunCoast the second go round and have never had a problem since and that was about 18 years ago....still running it. :D

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:34 pm 
LOST Member

I do want all the sensible maintenance and upgrades possible while it is out. This is what I have in mind:
Florida TC
Shift Kit
New Front Pump and associated seals
New Filters

Are there any other upgrades that can be done from the outside of the transmission?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:03 pm 

Science and Energy wrote:
I do want all the sensible maintenance and upgrades possible while it is out. This is what I have in mind:
Florida TC
Shift Kit
New Filters

Are there any other upgrades that can be done from the outside of the transmission?

Good time to replace the rear mount if you have not already done so.
Also make sure you get the new updated version of the front pump assembly.
68009879AB

Post your results after you have tested it out good, it may help some others in the future in making a decision.... :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:19 pm 
LOST Addict

Florida TC
Shift Kit
New Filters

Make sure you upgrade the new front pump with the transgo and or sonax kit. That thread I mentioned has the specifics.

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:43 pm 

Mountainman wrote:
Make sure you upgrade the new front pump with the transgo and or sonax kit. That thread I mentioned has the specifics.

Excellent advice!

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:45 pm 
LOST Member

I ordered the Sonnax line booster that goes inline. I will try and get that in this weekend to see if it changes anything with the shudder I am not expecting much.

The pump and transgo shift kit are an absolute.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:11 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
I have a SunCoast TC in my Jeep CRD, but we did install a new updated front pump along with a TransGo kit at the time of the TC install. This increases line pressure to help insure no slippage during TC lockup. I also have a SunCoast TC in my Dodge Cummins.
I personally have never experienced any shudder (slippage) with the SunCoast and that is even with a Stage IV Hot Tune along with a Diablo Power Puck on top of the tune.
Even pulling a loaded trailer, I have never been able to make it slip or shudder while in lockup.

I can see how a lower stall speed could be advantageous especially for low speed driving around town or wheeling in the rough.

My SunCoast TC will spin both rear tires (traclock carrier) on takeoff on wet or damp pavement just by applying to much throttle, so I am not sure I would need a lower stall speed?
But if the Florida TC is cheaper and built just a strong with the heavy billet steel flywheel like the SunCoast TC, it may be a good buy?

Having to learn the hard way by buying and installing the wrong TC can be an expensive lesson. Learned this on my Dodge Cummins when I first installed a TCI converter which only lasted a little longer than the warranty period. Installed a SunCoast the second go round and have never had a problem since and that was about 18 years ago....still running it. :D

I have a stock TC with GDE ecotune (limited torque) and I experience shudder even with the tune. I found it pretty easy to deal with even if it's a little annoying.

But I notice a interesting fact : My Jeep is less prone to shudder when I'm pulling a trailer. the trailer is a little less than 2000lbs.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:27 pm 
LOST Addict

I ordered the Sonnax line booster that goes inline. I will try and get that in this weekend to see if it changes anything with the shudder I am not expecting much.

The pump and transgo shift kit are an absolute.

I tried that also, no change.

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:55 pm 
LOST Addict

BLUF, want to reduce or eliminate shudder? Change your engine tune or adjust you right foot.

I've got over 220,000 miles on my transmission.
The only thing I've done to it is add the transgo shift kit.
Yes it shudders.
Yes it has the fluid drainback problem.
But I've learned to deal with it.
I have a new Florida Hemi TC sitting in my garage. I just haven't found the time or proper motivation to drop that beastly 545rfe and install it.

When I was running the Yeti stage 2 tune, anything other than the most gentle of acceleration in 5th gear caused shudder. And this was not towing and driving across the florida flatlands.
So I tried running with a Hemi TCM. Different shift points (not necessarily better) and slightly harsher engagement of the gears. Shudder was reduced just a bit.
Then I added the sonnax booster. Not much difference.

Then I switch to the Yeti stage 4 tune.
Still with the Hemi TCM and sonnax booster.
The stage 4 tune definitely has more power than the stage 2, but I wasn't getting nearly as much shudder. Why?
Well the stage 2 hits hard with instant torque from 1800 rpm on up.
The stage 4 comes in more slowly with more top end from 2300 and up.
Don't get me wrong, I could still force it to shudder. It just wasn't as frequent.

Then I switched to a GDE Eco Tune (not the full torque).
Again, I rarely tow and don't live in a mountainous region.
But shudder has been completely eliminated.
Why?
Because the eco tune significantly reduces power whenever the TC clutch is applied.
Like to the point that its almost taken the fun out of it.
But that's ok. Its a Jeep, not a race car.

(my fun car inches closer to completion https://youtu.be/x3oQzbcf9y4 :twisted: )

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:47 pm 
LOST Member

So eBay has a 8% bonus bucks offer right now. I pulled the trigger on the Florida TC. The sale kinda pushed me off the fence.
I am ordering the seals now and noticed the "updated" solenoid kit. Is that worth doing? I figure if it acts up I will just drop the pan and swap it then.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:12 pm 
LOST Member

The Florida billet converter for 550 is the same stall speed as the suncoast, I usually use a new Hampshire converter in the jeeps I flip, gopnp.com, if you get the rv low stall it is the same stall speed as the suncoast or Florida, and the holding power is the same as the updated euro converter, they fold me it it was good for 450ftlbs and their billet version is good for over 500, the ones from ats, florida and suncoast are all rated for 650ftlbs. I have done lots of calling and used my mechanic connections to get this info. Also if you need a trans and want one that's upgraded call ATS and they will build you a stage one 545 to fit your needs with a rv stall bullet converter and upgraded valve body and internals and aluminum pan, and they have a 5 year 500k warranty, I won't give my price but it was very reasonable for a built trans, and I sell a lot of them so I have seen lot of pricing. Today at my shop I did a youkon free spin hub kit and dynatrack balljoints and centric premium brakes on a 06 cummins. Next month he is coming back for a pusher cross air system:)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:47 pm 
LOST Member

PZKW108 wrote:
WWDiesel wrote:

I have a stock TC with GDE ecotune (limited torque) and I experience shudder even with the tune. I found it pretty easy to deal with even if it's a little annoying.

But I notice a interesting fact : My Jeep is less prone to shudder when I'm pulling a trailer. the trailer is a little less than 2000lbs.

After extensive overhaul of my transmission and TC I still had shudder, come to find out BOTH motor mounts were completely shot. They made noise like baby rattles after removal.

10/17 96K, New Head, Injectors, ARP Studs, HDS T-Stat
04/18 99K, New Reman Trans
09/18 104K, Lift Pump
01/19 106K, OME Lift, Eaton TruTrac LSD in new rebuilt diff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:50 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
http://www.torqueconvertershop.com/45B%20Performance%20545RFE%20Billet%20torque%20converter%2045RFE.htm

Whichever one you choose, be sure to replace the old front pump with a new style.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:07 pm 
LOST Addict

GordnadoCRD wrote:
http://www.torqueconvertershop.com/45B%20Performance%20545RFE%20Billet%20torque%20converter%2045RFE.htm

Whichever one you choose, be sure to replace the old front pump with a new style.

These were the guys I was thinking about going through since you can select the stall speed but I have emailed them a few times to ask about torque handling and they don't respond. I want my stall low so it loads the engine more and helps get the turbo spooled up.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:17 am 
LOST Member

My66dodge wrote:
The Florida billet converter for 550 is the same stall speed as the suncoast, I usually use a new Hampshire converter in the jeeps I flip, gopnp.com, if you get the rv low stall it is the same stall speed as the suncoast or Florida, and the holding power is the same as the updated euro converter, they fold me it it was good for 450ftlbs and their billet version is good for over 500, the ones from ats, florida and suncoast are all rated for 650ftlbs. I have done lots of calling and used my mechanic connections to get this info. Also if you need a trans and want one that's upgraded call ATS and they will build you a stage one 545 to fit your needs with a rv stall bullet converter and upgraded valve body and internals and aluminum pan, and they have a 5 year 500k warranty, I won't give my price but it was very reasonable for a built trans, and I sell a lot of them so I have seen lot of pricing. Today at my shop I did a youkon free spin hub kit and dynatrack balljoints and centric premium brakes on a 06 cummins. Next month he is coming back for a pusher cross air system:)

Would you have a number or web address for the ATS you are referring to? Google machine gives me 3-4 different ones.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:23 pm 
LOST Member

To get the trans you need you need to call them as the kj crd is a low production vehicle so they don't advertise for it but they advertise for the hemi ram and it's the same trans but for the crd they build it different and have a low stall billet converter.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:03 am 
LOST Member

Contact info for ATS? I get three different outfits with the Google machine.