It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Drive By Wire
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

Greetings To The Lost World!

Another over complicated system that relies on a computer to do something more easily done with a cable. 
What you don’t know, and must now be told is one of the reasons I purchased Lando with 106k on the clock was he came with a new engine that has only 700 miles on it, and a 3 year 100k warranty!
Today Lando came out of his spot in the garage and was suddenly making a whining belt noise. I popped the hood and it sounded like a symptom of the automatic tensioner. I wanted to raise the RPM’s for a better confirmation, but could find no throttle lever on the throttle body! I saw where the cruise servo cable tied into the rear left side of the throttle body, but no way to manually actuate the throttle. Any ideas, or am I a dinosaur out of luck?

Lando Liberty 2011 Kk

Post subject: Re: Drive By Wire
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:24 pm 
LOST Member

The throttle is 100% drive by wire, so the only way to raise engine speed is through the gas pedal. You might be able to raise it a few hundred RPM by taking the brake booster hose off of the manifold but you might set a DTC for vacuum leak.

Numerous junkyard upgrades

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:42 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Servo cable? The 08+ Libby is completely drive by wire, even the cruise control.
I'd love to see a Pic of the setup.

ESP Off Switch
Take a ride on the Trō side!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:40 am 
LOST Newbie

Scar0 wrote:
Servo cable? The 08+ Libby is completely drive by wire, even the cruise control.
I'd love to see a Pic of the setup.

It sure looked like a servo cable at the TB end. I guess it could be a plastic vacuum line. This rig is so foreign to me. :(. Give me a set of distributor points, and a carb any day!

Lando Liberty 2011 Kk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:07 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Lando-Liberty wrote:

It sure looked like a servo cable at the TB end. I guess it could be a plastic vacuum line. This rig is so foreign to me. :(. Give me a set of distributor points, and a carb any day!

I hear that! My last ride was an 88 Cherokee. It had some computers but nothing like the KK or KA. It was a BIG learning curve having to deal with all the computers. The Bummer is they make it almost impossible to Mod or tune to your liking.
I remember setting points with a matchbook cover, and rotating the distributor a little to get more jump off the line. Then tuning the carb/carbs by ear and a screwdriver. 80-140 Mph on the freeway with no traffic or police around. Ahhh, the good old days...
But alas, I digress back to reality. Drive by wire sucks!
Particularly when the throttle sticks at 4000 rpm as you are approaching a stop sign and pressing on the brake as hard as you can! "POP it into neutral!", my brain is screaming, as I am now just 20' from the car stopped at the sign.
The cause was just a tiny bit of carbon buildup in the throat of the TB, causing the butterfly valve to stick. Now I check and clean the TB every 3 months.

ESP Off Switch
Take a ride on the Trō side!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

Scar0 wrote:
Lando-Liberty wrote:

But alas, I digress back to reality. Drive by wire sucks!
Particularly when the throttle sticks at 4000 rpm as you are approaching a stop sign and pressing on the brake as hard as you can! "POP it into neutral!", my brain is screaming, as I am now just 20' from the car stopped at the sign.
The cause was just a tiny bit of carbon buildup in the throat of the TB, causing the butterfly valve to stick. Now I check and clean the TB every 3 months.

I hear you buddy! I used to be a firm believer in buying only Shell premium for all of my FI vehicles. It was the best consistent pure gasoline around. In the last few years they have been adding questionable additive packages, like Nitrogen, and I have seen issues with fuel pump diaphragm failures. So I quit paying the big bucks for the stuff, and started using Shell mid-grade. I save a bundle at the pump, and I top off each tank with a small bottle of Lucas Fuel Treatment. Since doing that I have had much better response out of the various throttle bodies in my fleet, and picked up a couple of miles per gallon. I call that a double win!

Lando Liberty 2011 Kk