It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Truck/4x4 vs Sports car
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:55 am 
LOST Newbie

So I am a mature student with savings and will need a vehicle to commute whilst wifey + 2 kids are using our "family" car
However, I am left with a choice between a Toyota MR2 T Bar Turbo (Mid engine, Rear-wheel Drive, 2 Seats) very unpractical for 2 children and a high chance of me getting more points on license. slightly better fuel economy than 4x4 have always wanted one since was a kid.

or

A hilux Surf 3.0td 4x4 that I will give a custom "redneck" camo paint job along with 5inch lift 33" mud tyres, bullbars, roof rack, snorkel the works...inherently more practical for kids...buggies.,.wheeling and dealing + offroading. A recent love affair but will cost £££ more to get it to where I want it. I am studying Conservation & Environment so I could possibly use the vehicle to access some more remote areas.

to sum up

sporty, fast, 2 seats, cheaper to run, high risk, older MR2 Tbar, fun/toy car

vs

Big, Heavy 5 seat go anywhere bomb proof rugged pirate redneck military 4x4 (fitted train horn HHOOOOONNKK! out my way style) less risk, more expensive to run can go offroading etc.

so please any suggestions/advice will be gratefully received.

I have already driven both and still can't decide, I have owned the following cars
Mini, Rover Metro 1.4 Gta, Metro 1.5D, Punto 1.4, Fiesta 1.4TD, Accord Type V 2.3, Vaux Cav 1.8, Clio 1.8 Gssomething..BMW 320, Mits Space star older, Mits space star newer lol, Renault scenic, Pug 807, Hyudai Coupe 2.0, fiat 500, Ford Focus. I also drove Trucks like the warrior for work etc.

Post subject: Re: Truck/4x4 vs Sports car
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:24 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
jeepsowner wrote:
So I am a mature student with savings and will need a vehicle to commute whilst wifey + 2 kids are using our "family" car
However, I am left with a choice between a

Toyota MR2 T Bar Turbo (Mid engine, Rear-wheel Drive, 2 Seats) very unpractical for 2 children and a high chance of me getting more points on license. slightly better fuel economy than 4x4 have always wanted one since was a kid.

Bought one new in 1991.

Never averaged under 30mpg on any tank fill. Usually around 33

After the oem tires went, I replaced them with autocross tires. Never used anything else after that.

As far as the license points, you have no idea, believe me. I was pulled over the day I bought it within 30 minutes without having done anything wrong.

Don't know where you live, but if you get any slippery winter weather it will be super unsafe to drive. The tires are different sizes, and must be 4-wheel aligned. This sets them to work against each other in a way that pre-loads them for faster response in turns. When you hydroplane or hit anything too slippery, the tire that still has traction will jump to the center of where the vehicle was. On a road with snowy or icy spots it will unpredictably 'dance' depending on where the traction is.

or

A hilux Surf 3.0td 4x4 that I will give a custom "redneck" camo paint job along with 5inch lift 33" mud tyres, bullbars, roof rack, snorkel the works...inherently more practical for kids...buggies.,.wheeling and dealing + offroading. A recent love affair but will cost £££ more to get it to where I want it. I am studying Conservation & Environment so I could possibly use the vehicle to access some more remote areas.

to sum up

sporty, fast, 2 seats, cheaper to run, high risk, older MR2 Tbar, fun/toy car

vs

Big, Heavy 5 seat go anywhere bomb proof rugged pirate redneck military 4x4 (fitted train horn HHOOOOONNKK! out my way style) less risk, more expensive to run can go offroading etc.

so please any suggestions/advice will be gratefully received.

I have already driven both and still can't decide, I have owned the following cars
Mini, Rover Metro 1.4 Gta, Metro 1.5D, Punto 1.4, Fiesta 1.4TD, Accord Type V 2.3, Vaux Cav 1.8, Clio 1.8 Gssomething..BMW 320, Mits Space star older, Mits space star newer lol, Renault scenic, Pug 807, Hyudai Coupe 2.0, fiat 500, Ford Focus. I also drove Trucks like the warrior for work etc.

IMO get the pickup. Drive nearly anywhere you want in nearly any weather, any time of year, with wife, kids, pets, & all.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set