It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bluetooth Mod for OEM stereo
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:22 pm 
LOST Addict

Hi All,

Now that my Jeep is 11 years old and I just got a new iPhone XR I am starting to wish for a new stereo. I would love to be able to send tunes to the Jeep’s stereo via Bluetooth but my model of radio is not designed for that.

(Image from AllPar)

There are 3 plug and play options I see. 1) Get the Mopar UConnect module for $2-300. It’s still expensive even though it’s old and probably obsolete. 2) Get a new stereo for $3-500. I like the touchscreen ones with Apple CarPlay. I don’t really have the money for either of these options though. 3) Get a cheap usb powered Bluetooth module that plugs into the aux jack. Functional but ugly. (Fugly?) I don’t like to have stuff hanging off my radio.

I have a plan for a fourth, inexpensive but more elegant option that I’m going to try out. I ordered a Bluetooth receiver chip from EBay for under $5. When it gets here on the slow boat from China I plan to install it inside my stereo where it will be hidden. I have a little soldering experience repairing a few devices around the house, so I think I’ll be able to do it. Here’s the plan:

Bluetooth receiver chip from eBay:

The power input is 5v so I got this 12v to 5v dc to dc converter for about $3:

It is a basic micro usb. I could wire it to the chip directly but since it already has a micro usb adapter, I figured that would be easier. I’ll draw power from the pin on the radio harness that has acc power (not on all the time). I don’t want it to drain the battery when the Jeep is off.

The Bluetooth chip also has a headphone jack, so this is the sound output. I’ll connect a spare head phone cord and solder its wires to the back of the circuit board where the radio’s aux jack is connected. Everything will be hidden and the oem aux jack will still function as designed when I am not streaming Bluetooth. Again the sound wires could be directly soldered to the chip, but since the jack is there I’ll use it.

(Image from AllPar)

Lastly, the aux button on the radio only works if something is actually plugged in. I got this to leave in the radio’s aux jack so that the radio thinks there is an external connection. But it’s nearly flush and pretty subtle and only $0.99.

A couple of things about this chip. It can pair with a phone as soon as it’s powered on. It doesn’t need an on/off or search-for-connection switch. This is good because I won’t be able to reach it once it’s physically inside the radio. It should be reasonably silent when not in use. I’ll see how well it does when I try it out. If the power source is noise free, the sound should be too. Lastly, this is a Bluetooth receiver only, so it can’t be used as a hands free phone device (no microphone connection). Oh well, I’m doing this for tunes not talking on the phone!

I’ll report back on how this goes once I have a chance to try it out. Shipping takes about a month since it’s coming from China, but shipping was free and I can wait. :POPCORN:

I got two of these, one for the Jeep and one for my 1990’s Yamaha amplifier in the living room, for a grand total of $17. So if it doesn’t work, I am not breaking the bank!

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

Post subject: Re: Bluetooth Mod for OEM stereo
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:40 pm 
LOST Junkie

I bit the bullet some years back and replaced my in-dash unit altogether, but this looks like a very cool project. I am looking forward to seeing how it turns out. :D

927/948 OME Springs - Bilstein Shocks - JBA Upper Control Arms - Rage Black Widow Roof Basket - Viper 3606V Alarm System

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:01 pm 
LOST Addict

Thanks for following, Prof!

I’ll update this thread once I have a chance to play around with the new gizmos. Their arrival time is supposed to be sometime between July 20 and August 30. Not kidding when I said the stuff is on the slow boat. Lol.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

Last edited by lfhoward on Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:20 pm 
LOST Junkie

I've had some slow-boat orders of my own. Sometimes it has taken so long that by the time it arrived I had forgotten that I ordered it. :SOMBRERO:

927/948 OME Springs - Bilstein Shocks - JBA Upper Control Arms - Rage Black Widow Roof Basket - Viper 3606V Alarm System

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:39 pm 
LOST Addict

The slow boat (or at least one of them) has come into port!

I had to try this asap!

My 1997 Yamaha amp has joined the 21st Century!

That’s a 5 volt micro usb charger from an old Samsung flip phone powering the thing. That headphone jack wire goes to the Aux In on the back of the stereo, which is actually separate red and white connectors.

The Bluetooth chip is only temporarily suspended in the air, of course. I’ll mount it somewhere inside the case. The old phone charger can plug into one of the switched outlets on the back of the amp, so the chip will turn on and off with the stereo and doesn’t constantly suck power.

Rush’s Jacob’s Ladder was the inaugural song streamed to the stereo. Had to match the era of the stereo of course! It worked flawlessly. No background noise, even when I turned it up. Good sound quality. Good range as I walked into the kitchen with my phone and it didn’t lose the signal.

Next step after mounting the chip in the living room amp will be to put one in the Jeep. I’m still waiting for a 12 volt to 5 volt converter, which will be the equivalent of the old phone charger for the Bluetooth chip inside the Jeep. That cargo is evidently on a different boat!

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:48 pm 
LOST Junkie

Looks great! :BANANA:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:52 pm 
LOST Member

I bought a GROM audio kit for my wife's 05 Sebring. Yea it's not the cheapest thing, but it integrates with the factory radio, has a mic for phone calls, can answer calls and skip music tracks in any audio app, using the radio's buttons. Seriously considering one for the jeep.

• OME 790/948/90009/N32
  • Western Suburbanite 7'4" plow
  • DetoursUSA Backbone
  • HF 12k# winch
[SIZE="1"]WTB: project liberty near N.NJ. stick shift, 4x4, working motor optional, CHEAP[/SIZE]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:59 pm 
LOST Addict

sota wrote:
I bought a GROM audio kit for my wife's 05 Sebring. Yea it's not the cheapest thing, but it integrates with the factory radio, has a mic for phone calls, can answer calls and skip music tracks in any audio app, using the radio's buttons. Seriously considering one for the jeep.

That GROM kit looks like a great option. In my case I’ll just use my iPhone to control audio and leave it in the tray above the center stack. (I use it for Waze and it lives there anyway.) Do you have radio controls on your steering wheel? Mine does not and so there is really no reason for the Jeep to communicate and send any control signals back to the chip. There are other Bluetooth chips out there on eBay that have button controls for those functions and a microphone connector but I just went for simplicity. :D

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:39 pm 
LOST Addict

Just an update. Phase 1, proof of concept, is complete!

The 1990’s stereo is now even more awesome. The blue light gives it away.

Phase 2 is modding the Jeep radio. I’m still waiting on some parts to arrive but I’ll update this thread when I start the project.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:19 pm 
LOST Addict

This question is for anyone who knows anything about radio wiring harnesses. I got the following info from Scar0's reply to this thread: http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=78493

Quote:
Radio C2
B1 YL/RD 14 FUSED B(+)
B2 WT/OR 22 CAN IHS (-)
B3 NO CONNECTION
B4 NO CONNECTION
B5 NO CONNECTION
B6 NO CONNECTION
B7 GY/OR 20 AMPLIFIED ANTENNA FEED
B8 GY/LG 18 LEFT REAR SPEAKER (+)
B9 GY/DG 18 LEFT REAR SPEAKER (-)
B10 DG/LG 18 RIGHT REAR SPEAKER (+)
B11 DG/GY 18 RIGHT REAR SPEAKER (-)
B12 BK/WT 18 GROUND
B13 WT/GY 22 CAN IHS (+)
B14 NO CONNECTION
B15 NO CONNECTION
B16 NO CONNECTION
B17 NO CONNECTION
B18 NO CONNECTION
B19 DG/VT 18 RIGHT FRONT SPEAKER (+)
B20 DG/YL 18 RIGHT FRONT SPEAKER (-)
B21 GY/VT 18 LEFT FRONT SPEAKER (+)
B22 GY/YL 18 LEFT FRONT SPEAKER (-)

Basically that's what each wire is supposed to do in the big wiring harness on the back of the radio. What I want is ACC power-- 12 volt that's on when the key is on. I need this to wire up my 12v:5v converter for the bluetooth module.

Based on the following...
B1 YL/RD 14 FUSED B(+)
B2 WT/OR 22 CAN IHS (-)
B12 BK/WT 18 GROUND
B13 WT/GY 22 CAN IHS (+)

... I am thinking of using B12 for ground (-). That seems pretty standard, although maybe B2 would work also? Next is where to get the 12v ACC power from. Based on this it should be either B1 or B13. However, one of these is probably power on all the time to keep the clock and radio settings alive, and the other is ACC power. Do you think the ACC power is B13 because it references the CAN bus?

[EDIT: Found out the 2 CAN bus wires (B2 & B13) are where the radio talks to the computer. They can’t be tapped as a 12v source.]

I know I could tear it all out and start poking around with my multimeter, and it may come to that, but I'm hoping to have a good idea of what I'm doing before I begin operating. I'm not really into exploratory surgery!

Plan B would be to siphon ACC power from the power outlet, but having power come from the radio itself is ideal. (My heated seats mod already takes power from this power outlet and I don't want to overdraw it.) Any experienced radio techs here?

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

Last edited by lfhoward on Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:15 pm 
LOST Member

I don't have steering wheel controls, and neither does the wife's car. It wasn't cheap, but it satisfied the high WAF requirement; she wasn't interested in an aftermarket stereo, wanted the OEM look and feel, and wanted hands free for bitching to her girlfriends during her hour long commute in bumper-to-bumper traffic. :-)r

• OME 790/948/90009/N32
  • DetoursUSA Backbone
  • HF 12k# winch
[SIZE="1"]WTB: project liberty near N.NJ. stick shift, 4x4, working motor optional, CHEAP[/SIZE]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:37 pm 
LOST Addict

I’m beginning to consider installing a switch for the Bluetooth module power, since there is no ACC power wire associated with the radio. Also, I’m reading that it would be a good idea to install a 3 amp fuse ahead of the 12v:5v converter. Thinking about doing some electrical reorganization under the dash to clean up some circuits and make this all possible.

I have a 6 circuit fuse block under the dash that I installed a while ago. Currently circuits go to:
2nd dash aux power outlet 15A via relay
Rear 120w inverter and trailer wiring harness 20A

I’m thinking of running a separate circuit for the rear inverter so that the fuse block would be reorganized like this:
2nd dash aux power outlet 15A via relay
Rear 120w inverter 15A
Trailer wiring harness 10A
Bluetooth Module 3A via rocker switch

The only issue is the electrical background noise likely produced by the relay. If it affects the sound quality I’ll have to run a wire for the Bluetooth module direct to the battery. That’s what I had to do for the CB radio because of interference.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:25 pm 
LOST Newbie

I believe if you ground the bluetooth board to the same point as the radio, that should help a lot with reducing feedback, but these radios seem to do a good job with reducing noise and hiss, I had done something similar with my 730N nav unit, because it didn't support bluetooth for music.

Not sure if you're aware of this site, but it can help you with finding power wires. I know the 4x4 switch has a switched acc power source

http://connectors.dcctools.com/home.htm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:33 pm 
LOST Addict

Well I started the work today to install the bluetooth module in the Jeep! I removed the radio this afternoon and was delighted to see all kinds of extra room around it inside the dash enclosure, particularly on the sides. Then I brought the radio indoors to my workbench.

Here's the RES radio my Jeep came with, which is a little different than the stock image I used above.

Left:

Right:

Back:

I started by removing the faceplate, which comes off by carefully bending back some plastic tabs.

The guts of the radio including and the CD player, I just set aside. The heavy metal box didn't look particularly easy to open, so I didn't bother. What I needed was on the faceplate.

I needed to connect to the inside of this aux jack:

Which looks like this:

There are 5 posts connecting the jack to the circuit board. Using my multimeter, I figured out that the top one is ground / bottom of the headphone jack, the next one down was the white wire / middle of the headphone jack, and the bottom was the red wire / tip of the headphone jack.

The other 2 posts (#3 and 4 from the top) are continuous with the ground #1 when an aux cord is inserted into the jack, but not when it's removed. Thus, I think these posts are involved with the computer knowing if a device is plugged in or not and they don't carry sound.***

The next step was to solder a headphone jack cord to the appropriate pins. I checked the continuity of the lines afterwards using the multimeter and they all checked out.

The headphone wire easily went into a slot in the faceplate so it could come out underneath the radio. The rubber jacket on the wire was nice and snug in the slot so it won't pull on my new solder joints.

Next the faceplate just snapped back onto the radio:

After rigging up my internal aux jack, I turned my attention to the bluetooth module and the 12v : 5v converter. I played around with where I could mount them and the right side of the radio seemed to work well. It's close to my headphone jack, and remember that I said there was all sorts of room next to the radio inside the dash. I used 3m/Scotch poster mounting tape (very high sticky factor) to mount them to the side of the radio.

Here they are affixed to the radio with my aux cord plugged in.

A slightly different view:

The red and black wires hanging from the converter are the 12 volt + power and - ground that will eventually hook up to something on the Jeep. I'd like to find a + wire that is live when the Jeep is in ACC/run but not when it's off. I'll put an in-line 3A fuse on this positive wire to protect the Jeep just in case this converter unit shorts out.

Anyhow, there we are! I'll test it out tomorrow. Got to run to the auto parts store for a fuse holder and find the ACC + and grounding points for it. Other than that, I think we're done! :BINGO:

***One note is, I'll have to have something in the original aux port to trick the radio into seeing a device and enabling the AUX setting. I have a small button-like insert on order (still on the slow boat), but in the meantime I can just use the end of a headphone cord. I thought about jumping pins 1, 3, and 4 with short sections of wire to make the radio permanently see the AUX device, but I wondered if there might be times when you'd want AUX turned off? Anyhow, I can always go back and do this later if necessary.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

Last edited by lfhoward on Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:42 pm 
LOST Junkie

That board is dang tiny! Looking forward to your testing. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:45 pm 
LOST Addict

profdlp wrote:
That board is dang tiny! Looking forward to your testing. :D

Thanks! Me too!!! :frankie: If I had a garage I'd be testing it now, but the Jeep is parked out on the street.

I think the radio is tied to my specific Jeep via an identifier in the CANbus. Thus, It won't run jury-rigged on the workbench either. Has to be plugged into my particular Jeep. Fingers crossed that this all works as planned!

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:01 am 
LOST Addict

I think the inaugural song played on the 2008 Jeep radio via bluetooth is going to be something by the Foo Fighters. Any suggestions or favorites? :rockon:

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:52 am 
LOST Member

Dave Grohl - Play
https://youtu.be/MFc8U0XrMkc

You'll thank me later.

• OME 790/948/90009/N32
  • DetoursUSA Backbone
  • HF 12k# winch

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:52 am 
LOST Addict

sota wrote:
Dave Grohl - Play
https://youtu.be/MFc8U0XrMkc

You'll thank me later.

Excellent. 8)

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:36 pm 
LOST Addict

I forgot to include a shot of how much room there is inside of the dash for my radio accessories. I don't expect having the bluetooth module and power converter on the outside of the stereo will be an issue.

I hit the auto parts store today to get a fuse holder for the final installation, but I won't have time to work on it until tomorrow.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates