It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Has anyone swapped 3.55's into a crd
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:58 am 
LOST Addict

Actually putting on larger tires makes the EVIC numbers closer to correct unless it is reprogrammed. The vehicle is going further for every RPM or faster than speedometer shows so the EVIC data tells it that MPG is lower since data tells it that it has gone less distance than it has, My EVIC with 32 inch tires or about 10 % oversize tires is now usually right on the money but I still calculate by hand.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:02 am 
LOST Member

I know the evic is off... my mileages are round trip starting at home and going over the pass and back, we set the cruise at 70 and go... I maintain to the max on my rigs. I do a BG compression restore every oil change and BG injector cleaner EVERY oil change, and change ALL fluids every year, I run an AFR pro guard 7 air filter, all the other reusable let too much dirt through, (only the 7 passes Cummins filtration requirements). I hate fixing my cars so I maintain and upgrade. The time we did 37.2 we went over to Tacoma and back and the temp was 38 average, also we drive around in Seattle for a little bit, I had my fan removed and I modded the hvac controls so the ac is only on with defrost or manual, so when we take our trips and the control is set for floor defrost mix it isn’t running the compressor for better mpg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:15 pm 

geordi wrote:
The EVIC lies to you by 3+mpg, and with larger tires that error is compounded. You really need to hand-calculate to get an accurate number. I'd LOVE to see a 40mpg CRD, but I think a lot of your numbers is mileage going downhill. ;)

Now if someone in Indiana or Louisiana can match those results on dead-flat land... Then we are really talking!

We're in Oklahoma. It's pretty flat here.

The best I've ever pulled (hand-calculated) in the CRD was 29.2mpg at 70mph. That was pre-lift, no A/C, cruise on. For all I know, there may have been a slight tailwind.

If you're getting up into high-30s / low-40s economy figures, that's right in the territory that our Mk. 6 Jetta sits at (80mph, A/C blasting, cruise control on). I'm not going to go so far as to say that a CRD couldn't do it, but it sounds as though if it is possible it may be at the expense of tradeoffs (speed, gearing, etc.) that may not be entirely desirable.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
IRO WJ Short Rear UCA/WWDiesel mount
Skid Row Skidplates
HDS Model 001 Thermostat (190°F)
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Hayden 2986 fan clutch / GM 11-blade fan
Samco / Sasquatch Intake Hoses
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox