It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hi! New owner of a KJ CRD!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:30 am 
LOST Newbie

just wanted to say hello! and also new to the Jeep scene
I recently bought a 2005 Liberty CRD and want to learn more about it, so thought this would be the best place to find invaluable information on how to best take care of my new kid.

I will be around on the forums. mostly researching already established posts. I hope if I have any questions, the great members of this community will be here to help!

Post subject: Re: Hi! New owner of a KJ CRD!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:09 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Welcome!

Start Here > http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=54207

After that, If you haven't already done so, get as much VERIFIABLE back-story as you can on your new rig. Particularly IF and WHEN and at what Mileage the timing belt was replaced. You may already know the importance of replacing diesel engine parts at scheduled intervals BEFORE they fail, as it's very much cheaper than fixing things AFTER they fail. This one you really NEED to know, and if the info isn't available, it needs to be done ASAP so that you DO know.

Also find out as much as you can regarding what MODS (modifications) have been (if) done, and what parts used. If you put those in your sig it helps greatly in how to address any weirdnesses or problems you are experiencing.

Opinions vary, so all I can offer you is my own :2cents: in dealing with the VM Motori CRD in the Jeep Liberty, based on my own personal experiences of the last couple years.

CRD guide, (short version)

Not required, but should be. (for reliability)
1) Lift pump (In Tank is best) Completely and permanently eliminates easily over half the drivability issues, common with this rig.
2) Provent (or similar, as long as it works)
3) Weeks type kits (Passes sniffer and opacity tests on healthy engines. Visual too, IMO, depends on how much you flaunt it.)

Recommended (Things that lean towards optimization and a bit of diminishing returns for your dollar, rather than fixing problems that should never have made it to the market.)
1) Good Thermostat, Healthy cooling system, Especially if you are leaning towards power-ups.
2) good thermal protection for sensors, wiring looms, etc edit - also check wiring looms everywhere they go behind something (fuel filter bracket) around something, or through something (behind alternator, above starter, etc) check for worn insulation, bare wires, etc and fix anything you find (pre-emptive strike) Or you could just wait till something happens and hunt it down then.
3) Fuel filter upgrade (< 5 micrometer)
4) ARP Studs (best installed BEFORE head gasket fails)
5) Silicone CAC hoses and T-bolt clamps

Optional (power-ups and Fun-ups Things to do as time and money budget allows, depending on how you intend to use your CRD.)
1) Exhaust (On my list this was actually in highly recommended. Kind of depends on local statutes, or whether one licenses in CA)
2) ECM / TCM Tune
3) Torque converter (kind of goes along with #2) front pump, and any shifting mods desired.
4) Suspension / lift
5) Tires
6) Gearing / diff locks if needed / wanted.

Good Luck! Let us know if you need help.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:42 pm 
LOST Newbie

yeah I got fortunate when I found mine. came with full service records from both previous owners from new.

previous owner put on a Kennedy lift pump, samco cac hoses, gde eco tune.

I need to replace the transmission cooler fitting going into the cooler (jiffy Tite is leaking) I was thinking of just cutting the fitting off and replacing it with a 3/8" jic to 3/8" compression fitting (Farrel). I've also had to replace the speed sensors on the transmission. next is replacing the 7 year old battery and I have glow plugs on the way (5v steel). he also changed the oil with 0w-40 European car formula Mobil one oil. I was thinking I should probably get that out asap and change to rotella t6 and a m1-301 oil filter.

all recalls have been taken care of besides the control arms. I'm not sure if I want them to do it or replace them myself with the Moog straight beam type. if they just replace them with another welded bolt fitting, wouldn't that just be the same problem again?

I got the darn thing for a hell of a deal, so with that savings (after taking care of the problems) I was going to move onto exhaust, ome lift kit, and then probably upgrading the rocker arms/lifters with the arp studs, etc. I was just going to purchase the Sasquatch parts timing belt kit with the tools.

also, the first thing I did after purchasing the vehicle was buy a factory service manual. I will be working on it entirely myself up to the point of engine/transmission rebuilds. live in an apartment so can't pull too much apart or I'll get in trouble. I was/am an automotive tech and graduated through an automotive school... but this is my first venture into diesel land!

so far I am extremely happy with how much easier this crd is to work on than a direct injected v8 Touareg lol

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Last edited by jreaper7 on Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

GordnadoCRD wrote:
Welcome!

Start Here > http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=54207

After that, If you haven't already done so, get as much VERIFIABLE back-story as you can on your new rig. Particularly IF and WHEN and at what Mileage the timing belt was replaced. You may already know the importance of replacing diesel engine parts at scheduled intervals BEFORE they fail, as it's very much cheaper than fixing things AFTER they fail. This one you really NEED to know, and if the info isn't available, it needs to be done ASAP so that you DO know.

Also find out as much as you can regarding what MODS (modifications) have been (if) done, and what parts used. If you put those in your sig it helps greatly in how to address any weirdnesses or problems you are experiencing.

Opinions vary, so all I can offer you is my own :2cents: in dealing with the VM Motori CRD in the Jeep Liberty, based on my own personal experiences of the last couple years.

CRD guide, (short version)

Not required, but should be. (for reliability)
1) Lift pump (In Tank is best) Completely and permanently eliminates easily over half the drivability issues, common with this rig.
2) Provent (or similar, as long as it works)
3) Weeks type kits (Passes sniffer and opacity tests on healthy engines. Visual too, IMO, depends on how much you flaunt it.)

Recommended (Things that lean towards optimization and a bit of diminishing returns for your dollar, rather than fixing problems that should never have made it to the market.)
1) Good Thermostat, Healthy cooling system, Especially if you are leaning towards power-ups.
2) good thermal protection for sensors, wiring looms, etc edit - also check wiring looms everywhere they go behind something (fuel filter bracket) around something, or through something (behind alternator, above starter, etc) check for worn insulation, bare wires, etc and fix anything you find (pre-emptive strike) Or you could just wait till something happens and hunt it down then.
3) Fuel filter upgrade (< 5 micrometer)
4) ARP Studs (best installed BEFORE head gasket fails)
5) Silicone CAC hoses and T-bolt clamps

Optional (power-ups and Fun-ups Things to do as time and money budget allows, depending on how you intend to use your CRD.)
1) Exhaust (On my list this was actually in highly recommended. Kind of depends on local statutes, or whether one licenses in CA)
2) ECM / TCM Tune
3) Torque converter (kind of goes along with #2) front pump, and any shifting mods desired.
4) Suspension / lift
5) Tires
6) Gearing / diff locks if needed / wanted.

Good Luck! Let us know if you need help.
so the egr delete will still allow me to pass emissions?

I contacted green diesel a few days ago and they said to leave it alone.
I would like to, but I also don't want to get into having to bolt and unbolt the entire system once a year. Colorado emissions laws suck, and have to do them annually...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:22 pm 

If you don't want to install a kit and get rid of all the EGR crap, there is a simple alternative. (Installing a kit and total removal is BEST!)
You install a simple metal blank-off-plate on the end of the exhaust feed tube where it bolts to the EGR valve:> viewtopic.php?f=5&t=76576
It sandwiches between the EGR feed tube end plate and the EGR valve. Two bolts to R&R and it only takes about 15 minutes to install.
Once this is done, you can also blank off the coolant hoses going to the EGR cooler as it is no longer needed. Doing this gets rid of potential coolant leak points.
You can make the blank out of any thin steel metal like the top from a soup or vegetable can. See drawing below for dimensions.

If you go this route, it is also best to remove the butterfly plate out of the FCV (flow control valve) internally.
All of this leaves the entire system visually intact and just looking at it, modifications will be totally undetectable if done right. :D
If you need more help or advice on this, just ask, plenty of helpful people on this forum! :mrgreen:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel wrote:
If you don't want to install a kit and get rid of all the EGR crap, there is a simple alternative. (Installing a kit and total removal is BEST!)
You install a simple metal blank-off-plate on the end of the exhaust feed tube where it bolts to the EGR valve:> viewtopic.php?f=5&t=76576
It sandwiches between the EGR feed tube end plate and the EGR valve. Two bolts to R&R and it only takes about 15 minutes to install.
Once this is done, you can also blank off the coolant hoses going to the EGR cooler as it is no longer needed. Doing this gets rid of potential coolant leak points.
You can make the blank out of any thin steel metal like the top from a soup or vegetable can. See drawing below for dimensions.

If you go this route, it is also best to remove the butterfly plate out of the FCV (flow control valve) internally.
All of this leaves the entire system visually intact and just looking at it, modifications will be totally undetectable if done right. :D
If you need more help or advice on this, just ask, plenty of helpful people on this forum! :mrgreen:

I might try this first this weekend while I'm working on it, got glow plugs to install so I'll pretty much have half of it out already... if it seems to produce good results I'll get a kit!

thanks for the info!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:25 pm 

jreaper7 wrote:
I might try this first this weekend while I'm working on it, got glow plugs to install so I'll pretty much have half of it out already... if it seems to produce good results I'll get a kit!
thanks for the info!

This picture shows where the blank goes and where the FCV has been removed and a elimination kit has been installed. :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel wrote:
jreaper7 wrote:
thanks for the info!

This picture shows where the blank goes and where the FCV has been removed and a elimination kit has been installed. :wink:

awesome! thank you. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]