It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Two Dead Jeeps
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:13 am 
LOST Newbie

Three years ago I bought a 2006 CRD, and it ran flawlessly. I loved it. Then the computer (I think) went haywire. When I would drive it, randomly the tach would drop to zero, the speedo would peg out and the air conditioner would turn off. After a minute or two, the dash would ding and the gauges would return to normal. (Occasionally the tach would stay at zero) I wouldn't lose power, so I didn't worry too much about it. My local mechanic couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. Last winter, I tagged a big buck at 60 MPH, which caused mostly body damage and my insurance company deemed it totaled. I was able to buy the salvage back from them for a good cost, so I figured it was a good deal. I took the insurance money, and bought an identical (except for no sunroof/power seats) Liberty. The new liberty ran fine for a couple of weeks, but then the turbo started having problems. My mechanic tried multiple things to get proper boost, but to no avail. It still drove, and he told me it would be OK to drive it like that. Apparently not. A couple of weeks ago, as I was pulling out of my driveway there was a loud pop and what sounded like a belt slapping something and I lost all power. I was able to coast into my neighbors driveway safely. An inspection by a different mechanic confirmed what I feared, that I had blown a head gasket as when I added coolant it drained directly into the oil. The engine cranks, but will not turn over. Spraying ether into the airbox while attempting to start it didn't get the engine to turn over either.

I got a quote for the head gasket at $2300. My fear is that they will replace the head gasket, but I will still be having problems with the turbo. I could also pull the front quarter panels and bumpers off the blown jeep, and put them on the totaled one, but I fear that the computer issues might still be a problem. Am I better off just trying to sell both Jeeps as mechanics specials, or might it be worth it to get one running Jeep out of the two dead ones? I have another daily driver so I am not in immediate need of getting one of them running, but it is frustrating to say the least. If I did decide to sell them, is there any idea of a ballpark value?

This was originally posted on JeepKJ.com, where it was suggested I also post over here. I was informed there was a travelling mechanic that works on Libertys named GEORDI so I am here to search out the wizard.

Post subject: Re: Two Dead Jeeps
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:17 am 
LOST Member

You're in the right place.
Everybody is out working on their jeeps.
If I knew more I'd spill my guts.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:56 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
If you would go to the user control panel (link upper right) and fill out your sig with city or at least state you are from, your vehicle, and mods you know about, it would be helpful to people trying to give good advice.
I suspect Geordi is either traveling or recovering from driving cross country, doing what he does for a living (on-site CRD mechanic).

If you are hunting wizards, :seuss: you may be at the wrong site :SOMBRERO: :lol:

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:28 am 
LOST Junkie

Did you get a camshaft sensor code when the second one died? If so, it is likely the timing belt snapped.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Provent @ 43,000 km
SEGR in progress
SAMCO Sport hoses @ 48500 km
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT225/75R16