It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: would this be a good egr/fcv kit?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:31 am 
LOST Newbie

any better ones? going to try the free mod first to see how it goes. if it's not too much of a pain to put things back together for emissions, I want to get a good kit.

someone said it'll still pass emissions without the egr? as long as it isn't obvious...

thoughts?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2554433039

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: would this be a good egr/fcv kit?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:36 am 

Looking at the picture, it appears to be a good kit with everything needed. Better get them while you can because they are drying up fast.
EPA's BS may be putting a halt to sales of any kind of delete kits very soon. :banghead: :furious:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:52 am 
LOST Newbie

yeah because an efficient good running diesel engine is so terrible. we all should just drive unmaintained cars that somehow pass emissions by a stroke of luck that get worst milage than our polluting diesel engines. oh, wait... I get the same milage out of a 5600lb SUV as that accord lol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:32 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Na, it's about the money.
When manufactured parts (Non-DOT-Approved) are installed on vehicles licensed for and used on roads, they lose many millions. NOT so much with these little Jeeps, but when they are in high gear mode tracking down "Big Three" sources, they also will go after smaller issues that are "right there" at the same time, to get more for their legal expense investment.

Historically, ingenious people who developed home-brewed methods to improve mileage or power, would sell plans/specifications/blueprints of their mods (like this one), often from magazine ads, and the interested public would buy these and implement them on their own. Many of these ingenious individually would simply disappear.

Times have changed, in some ways for the better, but it's requiring federal interests to change their methods as well. Like WWDiesel, I doubt it will come to tracking down individual citizens, as there is simply no financial reward for doing so. It's more likely that uncle Sam will pressure states to implement policies and testing methods to force people's hand, but I believe that is decades away, if ever.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:11 am 

GordnadoCRD wrote:
Na, it's about the money.

So very true Gordon, It is all about the money! ; The EPA is simply looking for other ways to fatten their pockets.
They are going after diesel businesses (low hanging fruit) since they have paper trails i.e. records that they can use as evidence to levy fines. :furious: :twisted:
In every YouTube video I have watched on the EPA busts, it was EPA lawyers questioning the owners of the businesses. BLOOD SUCKERS! :frankie:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

anyone else have a hell of a time with the intake inlet bolts? Image

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:11 pm 

You talking about the ones that hold the FCV to the intake manifold?
There are 4 of them and best to get to the 2 rear ones from below with a long extension. see picture.
Takes a 10mm socket best I remember.
or
Are you pulling the intake/valve cover?
Your picture really does not show.... :?

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

Last edited by WWDiesel on Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:20 pm 
LOST Newbie

the fcv to the intake manifold.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

jreaper7 wrote:
the fcv to the intake manifold.

sorry about the picture... and the 5/16 bolts are what I'm talking about. getting the back side was a pain.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel wrote:
You talking about the ones that hold the FCV to the intake manifold?
There are 4 of them and best to get to the 2 rear ones from below with a long extension. see picture.
Takes a 10mm socket best I remember.
or
Are you pulling the intake/valve cover?
Your picture really does not show.... :?

so i got 2 of 4 glow plugs. whoever last replaced the glow plugs overtighted everything, even the plugs... #1 was hard to fully thread without a bit of force... concerning but it is fully threaded now and didn't look like it pulled any threads as i took it back out to see why it was so hard to get in there... I was attempting #3 and couldn't get it to budge. got the intake inlet pulled out enough to get to it. the bracket on the bottom of the inlet that attaches to a hose is so tight and in such an awkward position i can't get it to move at all... i'll try again tomorrow. i'm worried about how the threads look at this point. it was a dealership that did it also. he must have used an impact on almost everything (the alternator bracket was pretty much finger tight though) what a Richard. trying not to cuss but i really don't think the guy that did it knew what he was doing or was having a bad day. feel like calling that dealership and telling them that tech can fix his... screw ups... meh, i don't want that donkey touching it again... i'm pretty annoyed right now.

just in case anyone asks: i'm not doing this for fun. i have a bad #2 glow plug and the ones i purchased are a different brand than bosch... so i would feel better to replace all of them at once to not run into troubles later on. the plugs in there now are almost 10 years old so i just want to do them all now and save a headache later, especially with winter coming up soon.

the elbow bolts are 5/16". metric sizes didn't work... 8mm was too big and 7 mm didn't quite fit either...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:59 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Glow plug tip - PB Blaster for days and days ahead of time if possible.

Pretty normal dealer wrench experience, where these are concerned.

Changing the glow plugs is cheap compared to risking any of the ceramic stock ones in place. They work well up until the ceramic tip breaks off in the cylinder. If you live where you have sub-freezing temps in the winter, you will get better performance with a modified GDE tune and 7v plugs, or 5V plugs in either brand. (they work with either 5v or 7v programming)

WWDiesel is correct, if your hardware holding the FCV to the intake is anything other than 10MM, it's been changed, (probably stripped) and good to make a note of in case of future need to pull apart again.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:13 am 
LOST Newbie

all of the smaller bolts so far are 5/16". at some point I'll try changing all the intake stuff over and deleting the egr. but tomorrow I need to just focus on getting the rest of the glow plugs replaced, getting the oil changed and getting it back together for Monday.

replacing the glow plugs from Bosch to ozkam brand European made plugs. they look identical to the Bosch ones and were way cheaper than oem. I don't have much money right now so couldn't afford to get Bosch or etronic or whatever they're called. like I said these appear to be very high quality so if they work I'll let you guys know. they were about 25% of the price of the other brands and have stellar reviews in Europe.

that sooty oil does not come off your hands very well. I've washed my hands like 7 times and they're still stained lol

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:49 pm 

Where are you located, your signature does not say.
Adding location and vehicle information is always helpful to others when answering questions. :wink:

As to glow plugs, soak them real good with a very good penetrating oil like Kano Aerokroil Penetrating Oil (best) or PB Blaster Penetrating Oil.
Also some suggest plugging in block heater may help as well. :idea:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

I live in Colorado.

block heater is out of the running unfortunately. live in an apartment.

putting it back together now. what a pain.
I guess it's a nice introduction to diesels. lol
I have only worked of gassers, so I guess I jumped right into the deep end.

I can imagine this is a lot easier with the egr delete.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

I won! no more check engine light.

that serpentine belt is not fun to get back on either.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

so, I did not win. I did not have time to replace the last two glow plugs. now I'm getting a code for #3. I'm sure it's because the new ones have a different resistance than the old Bosch ones. it didn't come up that day, but did pop up today after starting it. dammit.

so, I guess I'll be pulling the elbow back off Saturday to try to get the #3 plug. I think I can get #4 without removing the fuel filter.

will soaking it in pb blaster for a couple hours help? I'm thinking of getting it to operating temp then trying to remove it.
also, anyone have a hard time getting the socket to seat on #3? there seems to be a ridge on the intake manifold on the left side of the plug that obstructs the socket from going all the way down onto it. that's why I gave up and put it back together. I needed it running to get to work today.