It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: transfer case number off of 2006 CRD
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:58 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I need a new transfer case.

The previous owner changed it with a lower gear ratio.

The dealer parts department indicated that the original model number of the transfer case was a 231.

The previous owner swapped to a 242 J.

Anyone know why he would swap it?

Also, I'd like to compare model numbers off of your transfer case ..... what Model number is on your transfer case?

BTW, The Miles per gallon on this CRD are terrible, could this be the cause of it?

Post subject: Re: transfer case number off of 2006 CRD
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

i believe its a 242 that should have came with the CRD

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:29 pm 
LOST Addict

The 242 is the only transfer case that came in US CRDs. If in doubt get your build sheet.

The only way the change gearing is to get an aftermarket kit for the low range.

If you need a new transfer case any 242 from a KJ will work. The gassers mostly came with the 231. The 241 came behind manual trans, don’t get this one either.

I think the WJ 242 will work fine as well, and the XJ 242 will work with a few changes, but it would be easier to get a KJ 242.

Good luck, there are plenty of them out there and they are not particularly expensive.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:37 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sam, I appreciate the response.

The parts guy was wrong and you are right, my build sheet indicates that I need a 242 and not a 231.

I have a 242 from a donor vehicle on the way, available and inexpensive.

Thank you

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:03 pm 
LOST Addict

racertracer wrote:
Sam, I appreciate the response.

The parts guy was wrong and you are right, my build sheet indicates that I need a 242 and not a 231.

I have a 242 from a donor vehicle on the way, available and inexpensive.

Thank you

Good to hear.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

Are we Positive any year 02-07 242 Select Trac TC will work, Gas or Diesel?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:40 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
The CRD has a 242J transfer case, the only difference MAY be the low range ratio, IIRC it is 2.35:1. The high range is 1:1.

For what it is worth, I believe the gassers also had the 242J. The 241 case WILL work, however it lacks the fulltime setting. I ended up with one of those after the high range imploded on a trip, and the boneyard THOUGHT that they had a 242... It wasn't correct b/c the owner of the wreck must have swapped it at some point just like I had to do. It worked for the trip, and then I had to get another (correct) case for the CRD. Now I have that as a paperweight and 2 more 242J cases that have been "inherited" from various projects.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:21 pm 

geordi wrote:
The CRD has a 242J transfer case, the only difference MAY be the low range ratio, IIRC it is 2.35:1. The high range is 1:1.

AFAIK, the low range ratio used on the NP242 in the KJ is the same as in the other Jeeps that used it - 2.72:1.

Quote:
For what it is worth, I believe the gassers also had the 242J. The 241 case WILL work, however it lacks the fulltime setting. I ended up with one of those after the high range imploded on a trip, and the boneyard THOUGHT that they had a 242... It wasn't correct b/c the owner of the wreck must have swapped it at some point just like I had to do. It worked for the trip, and then I had to get another (correct) case for the CRD. Now I have that as a paperweight and 2 more 242J cases that have been "inherited" from various projects.

Are you sure that NP241 isn't an NP241OR? If it is, it should have the 4:1 low range from the TJ Rubicon.

If it was a 'regular' 241, I believe that those were used in GM vehicles. No idea as to how easily those would interchange with a Jeep, however; could be a case of changing tailcones and output shafts (or something else entirely).

JBA Lifted A-Arms
IRO WJ Short Rear UCA/WWDiesel mount
Skid Row Skidplates
HDS Model 001 Thermostat (190°F)
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Hayden 2986 fan clutch / GM 11-blade fan
Samco / Sasquatch Intake Hoses
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:39 pm 
LOST Member

Based on the parts catalog, it doesn't list any specific engine options to the 242 transfer case, so I would assume it's good to go.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:18 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
casm wrote:
geordi wrote:

AFAIK, the low range ratio used on the NP242 in the KJ is the same as in the other Jeeps that used it - 2.72:1.

Quote:

Are you sure that NP241 isn't an NP241OR? If it is, it should have the 4:1 low range from the TJ Rubicon.

If it was a 'regular' 241, I believe that those were used in GM vehicles. No idea as to how easily those would interchange with a Jeep, however; could be a case of changing tailcones and output shafts (or something else entirely).

I'll buy that 2.72:1 ratio, sounds good to me. My number was just a fuzzy memory guess. As for the 241 case, it matched the physical appearance perfectly, fit exactly... Just didn't have the full-time position OR the NP241 tag to tell me precisely what it was. I couldn't tell you if it was an OR version or not - I don't think it was 4:1 though, that would be a CRAZY low range. My use of it was just in the 1:1 range, I only tested the positions after it was installed, but I was in the middle of nowhere Louisiana and had to get to Texas on that trip... So I wasn't too concerned about what range it had.

It was solid though, no crunchy noises like the case that had dropped the high range on me on an off ramp! When that one was cracked open... Mmmmm, yummy steel oatmeal all up in there. Dumped that sucker in the scrap heap.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:24 am 
LOST Member

From all the reading I have done about transfer cases, the 241J is just a more robust version of the 231J. The 241J was available on 2005-2007 Liberty with the 3.7 and 6 speed manual transmission.

Source:http://dodgeram.org/tech/specs/tranfer_case.htmImage

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

The NV242 HD from a V8 WJ is a stronger version of the 242 J and would retain the full time mode.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:06 pm 

Josh P wrote:
The NV242 HD from a V8 WJ is a stronger version of the 242 J and would retain the full time mode.

If you want to go for one with serious beef, look for an NP242 (I forget the exact designation) from a Hummer H1 or HMMWV. It adds a much wider chain (over 1", IIRC), oil pump, and external oil cooler.

Having had Jeeps with both the NP231 and NP242, I'm a huge fan of the NP242; the selectable centre diff is just so damned useful. Wish they had left the factory with the option of 4-low full-time, but if wishes were horses and all that.

Strangely enough, this is actually one reason why I've never been desperate to put an NP241OR in any of mine - it's a good case and having the 4:1 low range would let you pull down houses, but I know that I'd get more use out of the centre diff than the low range.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
Skid Row Skidplates
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

casm wrote:
Josh P wrote:

If you want to go for one with serious beef, look for an NP242 (I forget the exact designation) from a Hummer H1 or HMMWV. It adds a much wider chain (over 1", IIRC), oil pump, and external oil cooler.

Having had Jeeps with both the NP231 and NP242, I'm a huge fan of the NP242; the selectable centre diff is just so damned useful. Wish they had left the factory with the option of 4-low full-time, but if wishes were horses and all that.

Strangely enough, this is actually one reason why I've never been desperate to put an NP241OR in any of mine - it's a good case and having the 4:1 low range would let you pull down houses, but I know that I'd get more use out of the centre diff than the low range.

Great unit if you are willing to give up 2wd. The WJ 242 HD has a 1.25 inch chain.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:14 pm 

Josh P wrote:
Great unit if you are willing to give up 2wd. The WJ 242 HD has a 1.25 inch chain.

IIRC (and it's been over a decade since I've seen one of the Hummer NP242s, so could be misremembering), 2WD was only blocked off at the shifter. It's still available as long as you use a different shift gate for the transfer case.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
Skid Row Skidplates
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I have a low mileage 242J transfer case for sale.