It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Replacing a Factory Radio
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:46 pm 
LOST Member

I have been looking to replace my factory radio as the volume control has been broke for some time now, and found another factory unit for sale. I was just wondering what if any security codes or special programming is needed to swap one factory radio for another? Anyone ever do this, is a dealer and DRBIII needed?

Post subject: Re: Replacing a Factory Radio
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:54 am 
LOST Member

My son installed an aftermarket radio in his CRD. He then installed his factory radio into one of my CRD's which had a bad volume control on it's original radio. No security codes or programming required for either situation. Easy swap!

2006 Inferno Red Crystal Pearlcoat
2006 Midnight Blue Pearlcoat
2006 Gold Limited
2015 Black Ecodiesel
2015 Black Ecodiesel 2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

I installed a RB1 Nav unit out of a minivan and it just plugged in and worked (mine is a 2005 CRD Sport). It even had the Jeep logo on startup (it apparently queries the VIN from the BCM and changes the logo to match) ! It was really cool, and looked amazing (like a real factory nav unit, which it was), but I ended up going to a 2din android head unit which absolutely blows it out of the water feature wise. I can't see myself ever going back.

If I just wanted a fancy radio I'd still have the RB1, but with the android I get BT handsfree, mp3 player, actual google maps (running on the head unit) Wifi tether to my phone for traffic if I want it, backup camera, etc. It's not perfect, but it makes my little Libby seem 10 years younger~ (note I had to buy a better one as the cheapest android head units won't handle 2ohm speakers)

If you're in the US the stock radios should be a dime a dozen at any junkyard. RB1's are harder to find, but they're out there too. They used them in everything for these years and they should all interchange (from my understanding).
More info as to interchanging part way down this page: http://wjjeeps.com/nav.htm

EDIT: added some info

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:14 am 
LOST Newbie

foxmiles wrote:
I installed a RB1 Nav unit out of a minivan and it just plugged in and worked (mine is a 2005 CRD Sport). It even had the Jeep logo on startup (it apparently queries the VIN from the BCM and changes the logo to match) ! It was really cool, and looked amazing (like a real factory nav unit, which it was), but I ended up going to a 2din android head unit which absolutely blows it out of the water feature wise. I can't see myself ever going back.

If I just wanted a fancy radio I'd still have the RB1, but with the android I get BT handsfree, mp3 player, actual google maps (running on the head unit) Wifi tether to my phone for traffic if I want it, backup camera, etc. It's not perfect, but it makes my little Libby seem 10 years younger~ (note I had to buy a better one as the cheapest android head units won't handle 2ohm speakers)

If you're in the US the stock radios should be a dime a dozen at any junkyard. RB1's are harder to find, but they're out there too. They used them in everything for these years and they should all interchange (from my understanding).
More info as to interchanging part way down this page: http://wjjeeps.com/nav.htm

EDIT: added some info

Can you link to the android head unit you're currently running?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:43 am 
LOST Newbie

Sure!
https://www.amazon.com/KURATU-Octa-Core-Bluetooth-Navigation-Fastboot/dp/B07HQHCH65

It's a Kuratu K8432 (probably means 8core, 4gb ram, 32gb storage)
Pros:
1. Fast and responsive
2. Nice screen (IPS) that looks good at an angle, which you will be at in a KJ
3. Supports the 2ohm stock speakers
4. Supports steering wheel controls with an Metra Axxess ASWC-1(https://www.amazon.com/Axxess-ASWC-1-Universal-Steering-Interface/dp/B00B4PJC9K)
5. Fits the 2din kit tight and perfect (https://www.amazon.com/Liberty-Aftermarket-Installation-Standard-Harness/dp/B00E8SA5P0) I soldered and shrinkwrapped all the wires
6. Looks really good and can customize the button backlights to match the green jeep interior lights

Cons:
1. I already broke the buttons once, they are supported by two tiny screws into very tiny plastic standoffs from the faceplate. The standoffs snapped off while I was inserting a sdcard and pushed a bit too hard. I glued them back an and will be very careful inserting the sd card from now on.
2. It's a deep box (standard 2din size) They make shallow ones that probably would require less work with a dremel to fit. (Although this one will likely have better cooling)
3. It has crashed a few times one me (usually when I'm messing with it), it just reboots, so yea, it's the true android experience.
4. The bluetooth has really crashed on me too, and required removing power to reset it.
5. Didn't include some accessories (backup camera, but I wanted a specific one so it didn't really matter)
6. Can't get it to connect to my OBDLink MX. (Note: This is when I crash the BT)
7. Even at the lowest setting the screen is a bit bright at night. I have a special night screen set up in FCC and it's about as bright as my interior lights on high. I also figured out a way to turn the screen off, so it's ok.

Notes:
1. I haven't tried to root it, nor needed any factory support/firmware updates, so I don't know what would happen in either of those cases.
2. I got $30 off instead of the $20 they're offering now, the main deciding factor was that I wanted a 8core-4gb, that supports 2ohm speakers, and had hardware buttons (the tactile feedback is much easier to do without looking down, although the steering wheel controls largely eliminate this), This was the cheapest unit I found with those specs.
3. Google maps requires an internet connection to calculate a route over a certain distance (I think it's 100miles) even with offline maps covering the whole area. I've got some alternatives now (wifi tether, Sygic and Osmand). It caught me once on a trip. Set my destination and it calculated it fine in the driveway on wifi, drove 100 or so miles and stopped for a break, when I went to leave it wouldn't even just continue the route I was on. It was gone and I couldn't get it back.
4. I use Fly Control Center (FCC) as the home app, poweramp for music and have done lots of little tweaks here and there. There are tons of things you can do!

I didn't take pictures as I installed it, but I will take some and do a writeup at some point (and stop hijacking this thread, hehe~), as it should be applicable to any 2 din install. I will get one and link it later too, so you can see what it looks like all installed.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:09 pm 
LOST Junkie

I installed a pioneer avh-w4400nex in mine about 6 months ago. Got it on eBay for about $200. It has wireless Android auto/carplay.

No offense to foxmiles, but I'd avoid no name head units. They are bound to be buggy and quirky out of the box.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

RUNNING B100
Pic of my Jeep!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:20 am 
LOST Newbie

I just put an RB-1 in my Libby and couldn't be happier. Was about a hundo off of EastBay.... Took all of 5 minutes to R&R it and it sounds great!

It's so awesome, I ordered one for my dads Libby.

Las Vegas, NV

2005 CRD Limited just purchased. 189,000 miles...
GDE Full Torque tune
Sasquatch: Provent, Stage 2 delete.
Bosch 5 volt steel Glow Plugs
GDE Full Torque tune
GDE TCM tune
Sasquatch Upgraded turbo

Former CRD.
2006 Libby CRD Sport
GDE Green tune
OME Springs all four corners, Rancho shocks and struts.
Revo 245/75/16's

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:13 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
I swapped to an RB1 in my CRD as well - No security codes in the USA spec units, but apparently some in the rest of the world might have codes. Just be aware of this potential if you aren't in North America.

ALSO: If you have the factory satellite radio, the receiver unit for that will talk with any factory radio (RB1 / RBK / RBQ etc)... BUT if you want to go aftermarket it won't work with that. The receiver is located in the rear passenger wall and the antenna is a puck on the roof just forward of the top brake light. If you don't have the antenna, you don't have the Sirius unit.

Some Liberties DID have the lifetime-active radio, both CRD and gassers could have gotten this, and once a lifetime radio is active, it never goes out. So if you see one in a boneyard, snag the receiver and the antenna and as many wires as you can find.... You might just get lucky!

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:15 am 
LOST Newbie

@ebbnflow - No worries, frankly that's probably the better option for most people. The Chinese android head units are fiddly, but basically like having a real tablet in your dash, while the android auto units depend on your phone for most of the app-related functionality (from my understanding). I would probably be happy with either, and I would have a really hard time going back to any of the factory radios at this point.

@geordi - That's really cool! Now I want to watch the junkyard for them, even though I doubt I'll be going back to stock anytime soon...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:10 am 

foxmiles wrote:
@ebbnflow - No worries, frankly that's probably the better option for most people. The Chinese android head units are fiddly, but basically like having a real tablet in your dash, while the android auto units depend on your phone for most of the app-related functionality (from my understanding). I would probably be happy with either, and I would have a really hard time going back to any of the factory radios at this point.

Couple of things about the Android head units (which may or may not apply to your situation):

• Most of them run on really low-end hardware that can barely boot Android, let alone run apps with anything that can be called responsiveness. If you're used to modern phones / tablets with decent hardware, don't expect to be wowed by the performance.
  • Most of them also can't be upgraded (without a *lot* of work) beyond the version of Android that they're already running, which is typically anywhere from two to five versions behind current. There are some changes coming to that platform that are going to result in newer apps becoming incompatible with older versions of Android, so you're potentially facing a short runway on built-in obsolescence.
  • Don't know of one that supports HD Radio or Sirius/XM tuners.
  • Build quality is 'ehh' at best.

YMMV on some, all, or none of this, but this is what I've run into with ones that other folks I know have bought. Annoying, too, because I really like the idea of an Android-based head unit - but it is very much a 'you get what you pay for' deal.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
IRO WJ Short Rear UCA/WWDiesel mount
Skid Row Skidplates
HDS Model 001 Thermostat (190°F)
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Hayden 2986 fan clutch / GM 11-blade fan
Samco / Sasquatch Intake Hoses
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:24 pm 
LOST Junkie

I have been generally happy with the Joying unit in my Saab. It's been there for a couple years now without incident. If you do some shopping in advance, you can certainly find "high spec" and "low spec" units - the one I have is based on the Intel Sofia SOC. It's pretty low-spec in the grand scheme of things, but it runs Android just fine. Admittedly, I don't ask a huge amount from it... I run Google maps, Power Amp, and Torque and that's about it. It's a bit quirky for sure - like it will randomly lose the color assignment for the soft buttons. The audio section (amp, etc.) is not good, but I'm running mine through a Kenwood KAC-M3004 compact amp and it sounds great, even at 90mph with the top down.

I chose the Joying after a bunch of lackluster experiences with name-brand stereos. I've had a slew of Pioneer and Kenwood stereos of varying spec and none of them are what I'd call great. After a few years the name brand stereos stop supporting current smart phones, audio formats (AAC, etc.), connectivity protocols (AptX comes to mind...), and other things. I have a pretty expensive Pioneer stereo in my Suburban that won't support flash drives over 32gb, which is a perpetual frustration.

I just put a cheap $150 Sony in my loaner car and I'm happy with it. But, if I was gonna spend $250+ on a head unit, knowing that in three years Bluetooth 4.0 will be out, the iPhone 13 will be out, there will be new audio codecs out, etc. I'd take a hard look at another Android head unit. *Probably* it will be a dead end, but if I had to place a wager on Kenwood updating a 2019 head unit to "new stuff" or an Android head unit supporting new stuff, my money would actually be on the Android. If nothing else, you've got the folks at xda-developers to help out...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

I did... something different... :D a buddy of mine is refurbing and installing AUX ports into the older Jeep radios as a side business so I bought one from him (out of a 92 XJ). Behind the dash I installed a simple bluetooth dongle and a pair of USB chargers (one to power the bluetooth, one to charge my phone).

why did I do it? I like to be different. 8) and also because my phone already does all of the things. all of them. the radio is merely a conduit for the phone to talk to the speakers. plus it gives me a cool cubby hole to stick my phone while it's charging. :D

1 Diesel Liberty and 2 and a half Comanches