It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Front Driveshaft?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:53 am 
LOST Newbie

I'm trying to find the front driveshaft for my '05 CRD. I had ordered one from ebay that claimed to be compatible, part #DYPDS-5066 (interchange part #65-9323, 225099, 419323, 52111593AB, AA1659323, N93230), but it was causing insane vibration once I reached 55-65mph.

Unfortunately Sasquatch Parts no longer sells these driveshafts, they said the supplier wouldn't stand behind their product when there were issues.

I'm afraid to order another one and have the same vibration problems. Does anyone know the correct part # or a website that sells them? I'd even purchase a used one from someone who doesn't use their 4WD :wink:

Post subject: Re: Front Driveshaft?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

I am in the exact same situation, tried one from the local auto parts store, exchanged it twice, all three caused the same vibration. I am left with looking at local junkyards or dealer part, i'm not willing to buy random ones online until I find a good one. If anyone does know a good one that is not a dealer one I would love to know.

Secondary fuel filter from wwdiesel
Northstar AGM
GDE Hot Tune
EGR delete
Suncoast TC
Transgo Kit
Carter Intank-pump
SAMCO Hoses
Silicone Intake hose
Silicone Vacuum hoses
Hayden HD Fan Clutch
ARB Front Bumper
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Gen II Fuel Head
Rockfather II Lift
GM 11 Blade fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:01 pm 
LOST Member

You can rebuild your old one.

I did mine and it was easy and not too expensive.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:12 pm 
LOST Newbie

I would have rebuilt mine but i bought the liberty broken, the front drive shaft had completely separated the joint at the transfer case side and beat around under the jeep, the teeth are toast on the shaft.

Secondary fuel filter from wwdiesel
Northstar AGM
GDE Hot Tune
EGR delete
Suncoast TC
Transgo Kit
Carter Intank-pump
SAMCO Hoses
Silicone Intake hose
Silicone Vacuum hoses
Hayden HD Fan Clutch
ARB Front Bumper
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Gen II Fuel Head
Rockfather II Lift
GM 11 Blade fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:32 pm 
LOST Junkie

Could you maybe take the one you'd ordered to a driveshaft shop and have it balanced? Or was the vibration from poorly fitting splines, etc?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:13 pm 

As stated you can certainly rebuild your current front driveshaft (propeller shaft, as some call it), you DO NOT have to replace the whole thing unless yours is damaged or missing and cannot be rebuilt.
See this thread for additional info:> viewtopic.php?f=98&t=77641

As to part number for complete driveshafts and replacement CV Joint Kits:
Mopar OEM: SHAFT. Drive. Front.
Part Number: 52111593AB (complete drive shaft)

Drive Shaft Parts:
http://www.driveshaftparts.com
ME807 (Transfer case end CV joint kit)
ME709 (Differential end CV joint kit)
http://www.driveshaftparts.com/index.ph ... arch=me709

Detroit Axle:
https://detroitaxle.com/
#CVK0011(Transfer case end CV joint kit)
#CVK0012(Differential end CV joint kit)

Dorman
Jeep Grand Cherokee/Liberty Driveshaft CV Joint Kit
932-301 (Transfer case end CV joint kit)
932-302 (Differential case end CV joint kit)

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:44 pm 
LOST Member

I tried to rebuild mine a couple of times. The Dorman cv joints were junk and failed on the 5 mile test drive. I got a front from Detroit Axle and it faired no better. I finally bit the bullet and paid the money for an OEM one. But they may be discontinued now. Same with the front axles. Replaced with aftermarket and they were terrible. Finally bought expensive OEMs and all is good. I believe they are discontinued now as well.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:47 pm 

mrhemi wrote:
I tried to rebuild mine a couple of times. The Dorman cv joints were junk and failed on the 5 mile test drive. I got a front from Detroit Axle and it faired no better. I finally bit the bullet and paid the money for an OEM one. But they may be discontinued now. Same with the front axles. Replaced with aftermarket and they were terrible. Finally bought expensive OEMs and all is good. I believe they are discontinued now as well.

I replaced both of my front driveshaft CV Joints with the Detroit Axle units back in 2014 and I am still running both of them today with no issues or problems.
They have held up very well.
Not sure what your problem was, but replacing CV Joints on both driveshafts and drive axles is a common everyday occurrence.
I have replaced hundreds of CV joints on VW's, Honda's, Toyota's, etc. and never had any issues of them not lasting.
But they must be installed properly and packed with the correct type of grease for longevity.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:04 am 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
mrhemi wrote:

I replaced both of my front driveshaft CV Joints with the Detroit Axle units back in 2014 and I am still running both of them today with no issues or problems.
Not sure what your problem was, but replacing CV Joints on both driveshafts and drive axles is a common everyday occurrence.
I have replaced hundreds of CV joints on VW's, Honda's, Toyota's, etc. and never had any issues of them not lasting.
But they must be installed properly and packed with the correct type of grease for longevity.

I have replaced plenty as well, with no issues. The CRD ones were installed properly and packed with the proper grease. The Dorman ones appears to have been made from crap steel, they fused together, The Detroit Axle just spalled badly causing vibration. These were replaced 2-3 years after your time frame. So I suspect a bad batch of Chinese aftermarket parts got out there. Like that never happens.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:16 am 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
mrhemi wrote:

I have the Detroit axel as well for about 40000 miles with no problem

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:31 am 
LOST Member

As a shop owner and long time tech I can tell you that dorman is crap anymore, most of their stuff I refuse to sell, like crap from O’Reilly’s... if you need to rebuild your front driveline you can get ok parts here

https://www.driveshaftparts.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:28 pm 
LOST Member

My66dodge wrote:
As a shop owner and long time tech I can tell you that dorman is crap anymore, most of their stuff I refuse to sell, like crap from O’Reilly’s... if you need to rebuild your front driveline you can get ok parts here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the link, I will give them a try. I kept my original driveshaft with the hope of finding decent rebuild parts for future use (I have two CRDs). Also, I see this outfit stocks Spicer U joints for the 7290 Mopar applications that I need and have trouble sourcing at times.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:38 pm 

mrhemi wrote:
My66dodge wrote:

Thanks for the link, I will give them a try. I kept my original driveshaft with the hope of finding decent rebuild parts for future use (I have two CRDs). Also, I see this outfit stocks Spicer U joints for the 7290 Mopar applications that I need and have trouble sourcing at times.

Both of these places are good sources of quality parts.
Drive Shaft Parts:
http://www.driveshaftparts.com
ME807 (Transfer case end CV joint kit)
ME709 (Differential end CV joint kit)
http://www.driveshaftparts.com/index.ph ... arch=me709

Detroit Axle:
https://detroitaxle.com/
#CVK0011(Transfer case end CV joint kit)
#CVK0012(Differential end CV joint kit)

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

So I purchased the 32.5" driveshaft from driveshaftparts, and for the life of me I could not get it to fit inside the front receiver or whatever it's called. The driveshaft itself is long enough in length, but it seems like the head was getting blocked from going in all the way. It was maybe 1/4-1/2 inch away from going in.

I'll link it below. I just don't know what to do anymore, and I need 4WD before spring comes.

https://www.driveshaftparts.com/index.p ... uct_id=676

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

dirtbikemike18 wrote:
I'd even purchase a used one from someone who doesn't use their 4WD :wink:

Wouldn't help, driveshaft spins in 2wd.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:59 pm 
LOST Addict

PM me

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden