It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: EPA Shutting down Diesel Turners and issuing hefty fines
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:19 pm 
LOST Addict

geordi wrote:
I just had a problem with a piece of lawn equipment. My string trimmer (Ryobi 4 cycle powerhead with removable attachments) decided it didn't want to work functionally anymore. I have been somewhat religious about draining the tank on it and running it dry every time I am done with it, but after less than 2 years it refuses to run above an idle. Just bogs out and dies.

I had a cheap $80 2-cycle trimmer from Home Depot.
Worked great for almost 12 years. Then started running poorly like yours.
I replaced it with a Ryobi 40 volt rechargeable. Works just as good and a lot quieter.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:16 pm 
LOST Junkie

geordi wrote:
Meanwhile in other Kaliforniastan news... I just had a problem with a piece of lawn equipment. My string trimmer (Ryobi 4 cycle powerhead with removable attachments) decided it didn't want to work functionally anymore. I have been somewhat religious about draining the tank on it and running it dry every time I am done with it, but after less than 2 years it refuses to run above an idle. Just bogs out and dies. Hmm, I know a thing or three about engines, so this seems like a fuel mix issue. Time to adjust the carb.[

That's generally bad practice. You should not store carbs dry - the gaskets and seals will dry out and fail. Additionally, fuel film will get left in small passages and turn to varnish or, if it's ethanol fuel, goo. Likely the reason it's dying is air leaks post venturi, but it could be a clogged jet, etc.. You don't need to adjust it, you need to rebuild it.

https://www.goldeagle.com/tips-tools/la ... k-mistake/

I've had the same Kalifornistan-mandated string trimmer, blower, and lawn tractor for a decade. None of them particularly expensive. I had to rebuild the carb on the trimmer (same symptoms as yours) once about three years ago. I bought the kit from Echo directly on the internet... cost like $15 and took maybe 20 minutes. Everything else works great. I do nothing special between ~December and ~March when they are unused other than connect the tractor's battery to a NOCO float charger.

FWIW, Kalifornistan's requirements for small engines have virtually nothing to do with "running lean." Engines that run lean produce higher NOx, which SOREs generally lack the ability to manage... no EGR, etc. The SORE guidelines in California are primarily centered on controlling vapor loss, removing adjustments ignorant users might mess with, and inclusion of oxidizing catalyst mufflers. Most of this information is readily available on ARB's website, but here's a great page on the details:

https://pressurewashr.com/what-is-carb- ... BvsNonCARB

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:07 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
You might be mistaken about the really small engine carbs, the gaskets are generally made of a fiber material (cheaper) and the instructions for the new machine actually say if you are not going to use it for a couple days, that you SHOULD drain the tank and run it dry. There is little risk of varnishing and slime with nothing in the system, but that damm ethanol will leave white deposits everywhere if it is allowed to sit for any length of time.

These also don't have "rebuildable" carbs, you just replace them. About the only things that can be replaced on the latest generation of stuff is the entire carb, or the primer bulb. MAYBE the primer valve, but that's dubious. I actually think the problem might be starvation from the primer valve, but I haven't had a chance to mess with it yet. After running for a bit, when it died the primer would compress and just not pop back up, which is what makes me think that's where the problem is.

Last edited by geordi on Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:12 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
flash7210 wrote:
I had a cheap $80 2-cycle trimmer from Home Depot.
Worked great for almost 12 years. Then started running poorly like yours.
I replaced it with a Ryobi 40 volt rechargeable. Works just as good and a lot quieter.

I looked at those... But with the attachments (chainsaw on a stick, edger, hedge trimmer, straight trimmer with gator blades, rototiller cultivator...) I'm REALLY not sure the battery would have the grunt for the harder stuff. Swinging string, sure. But I've been dealing with an overgrown hedge and BAMBOO from the neighbor. The bamboo, some of what the gator blades cut was nearly 1.5 inches thick. Those things buzzed right through it on the gas engine. The hedge has been this NASTY mess, 7 feet high and about 80 feet long and THICK. I've burned up 2 sets of the gator blades on this mess already. REALLY not sure the battery would handle this kind of heavy lifting.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:21 am 
LOST Addict

TKB4 wrote:
Jim I realize this wasn't your problem but for all my small engines I started using non ethanol fuel with stabilizer added and running the fuel out too. In the last 3 years on the really small engines like weed eaters and chain saws I went to aviation fuel 100 low lead. Its expensive but its worth it.

Just a thought, changing octane or changing concentration of the fuel with an unusual additive like diesel etc may in effect richen the mixture. That is if you cannot adjust the mixture adjust the fuel.

Interesting idea... This is a 4 cycle, so it isn't so much a fuel concentration issue, but I would have also thought that running it with the choke partly in, would also make it rich b/c it had more suction to pull more fuel AND less overall airflow. But the thing just bogged instantly when I tried touching the throttle no matter what. I've got to pull it apart and see what gives. This is a VERY common complaint online about this general model (several variants) and they all have the same complaint - runs at idle, dies when you touch the throttle.

I have been pretty consistent with the stabilizer, and usually draining it. But I think something else is going on, not that there's deposits from the ethanol. But you might be onto something by adding a bit of diesel to cut the octane. According to the book on my new unit (brand sounds like a common metal) ;) These tiny engines should NOT like higher octane, the book says it makes them run hot.

I'm curious how yours have liked the Avgas, when pinging from compression is the least of the considerations? For small engines you want EASIER to combust not harder, so lower octane seems the goal.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:07 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
avgas will have the effect of cooling the piston and rings due to some unburned fuel, but it's a reacharound fix.

Back to the original subject..
I'm wondering if GDE has been 100% shut down, or only for the modifications pertaining to engine / emissions.
Are they still able to help with Transmission tunes?
Glow plug timing such as the 7v fix for cold weather? If EPA really stands for what they claim to, that would be one thing they would in fact, mandate, since easier starting reduces cold engine emissions. That's completely proveable.

Perhaps GDE can lease the use their equipment to a different entity? Perhaps a Canadian based business entity.. that employs experienced qualified personnel..?

Just kind of thinking out loud here...

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:36 pm 
LOST Junkie

Intentionally skirting the EPA, selling products into the US seems like a good way to end up in a world of hurt.

I don't know what the guidelines are for selling computer modifications... there must be some, as you have behemoths like HP Tuners operating free and clear. I wonder if GDE et al got caught up in a bust of commercial tuners due to the diesel connection, or perhaps it was the nature of their advertising. "Disable emissions controls on street vehicles" isn't a good look. "Providing enhanced reliability for off highway vehicles" or "custom tunes for your engine swap project" is probably where you wanna be.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:57 pm 
LOST Member

I read on another forum that the EPA was going to be contacting individual owners telling them they have to back to stock. The post had no documentation so not sure how much I believe it, but has anyone else heard anything similar?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:11 pm 
LOST Junkie

Personally it's hard to imagine that scenario unfolding, but it's not like it would be difficult.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:35 pm 
LOST Member

If they catch you they can... I tell everyone I know that it’s a cool truck and I don’t know more than that...I bought it this way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:58 pm 

Won't never happen to DIY'ers!
How the neck would the EPA crooks even know if you have ever done anything on your own rig or reflashing their own ECM's using free tunes available online or tunes bought via emails?
They have NO possible way to track them.
Now GDE tunes is a whole different story, they got records and VIN numbers, the EPA could go after owners using confiscated records.
If I had a GDE tune, I might be worried....

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:21 am 
LOST Addict

I would not lose sleep over it. It would be the first time in history for EPA to go after individual owners of vehicles...if that were the case.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:40 am 
LOST Addict

GreenDieselEngineering wrote:
I would not lose sleep over it. It would be the first time in history for EPA to go after individual owners of vehicles...if that were the case.

If you think it would make sense to set up in Canada; Alberta might just be your best bet.

You know how to contact me; I hope to hear from you soon.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:56 am 
LOST Member

What I am referring to is
When people brag about what has been done when in person, at a class a trainer told us of a guy who was at the pump with his 6.0 and the guy said nice truck, what did you do to it... the guy said, I lifted it and tuned it and deleted it and replaced the exhaust ect... after he was done the guy flips out his EPA badge and writes him a ticket and he has to get it (emissions wise) put back to stock. So the idea is yea it’s a cool rig and I got it this way, the less you say the better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:33 am 

My66dodge wrote:
When people brag about what has been done when in person, at a class a trainer told us of a guy who was at the pump with his 6.0 and the guy said nice truck, what did you do to it... the guy said, I lifted it and tuned it and deleted it and replaced the exhaust ect... after he was done the guy flips out his EPA badge and writes him a ticket and he has to get it (emissions wise) put back to stock. So the idea is yea it’s a cool rig and I got it this way, the less you say the better

Can't be too careful these days! Boy if they start reading these forums, we might all be in trouble.... :banghead: :grim:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:29 pm 
LOST Member

Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:36 pm 
LOST Member

Looking at how the left is turning your country, I wouldn't be surprise if it happen at some point.... If it can help the "climate emergency".

Make sure you get rid of your customers list !!!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:21 pm 
LOST Junkie

The statutes that prohibit vehicle owners from tampering with emissions system dates back to 1990. You might note that "left turning" government was George Bush's. Repair shops & fleet operators were prohibited in 1977 and manufacturers in 1971. You might note the folks responsible there were Ford and Nixon. Conventionally speaking, not left leaning individuals. In fact, Nixon is the guy that started the EPA.

What's changed is computers which allow people to buy and employ emissions tampering devices en masse, and allows the government easier ways to track those people down. Emissions gatsos, amirite? Either way, these are not new laws. I don't rail against all my speeding tickets... I knew what I was doing when I mashed the right pedal. You break the law, you take your chances. I think there are all sorts of dumb laws, but I'm not outraged when I get in trouble for breaking them. "Oh, that X government is coming after me for something I knew was illegal.... how dare they!"

Last edited by thesameguy on Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:00 pm 
LOST Junkie

WWDiesel wrote:
My66dodge wrote:

Can't be too careful these days! Boy if they start reading these forums, we might all be in trouble.... :banghead: :grim:

Bit late for that warning, my money is on they have been reading this forum for some time.
Its interesting here in Australia, there are diesel shops that advertise on the TV doing remaps. They claim to do it using a dyno.
The mods to VW's are not compulsory in Australia. I am waiting to see the announcement that you get no compensation unless you get the mods done. Have been told they turn the car into a fuel hungry slug.
How come people who get their yearly test done in CA are not failing? Or do they go back to standard for the test?
Are GDE still doing hot tunes for OS customers?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:35 pm 
LOST Junkie

If CA = California and not Canada, it's because 2000+ cars are not subject to a tailpipe or overarching functional test, only an e-test... if the CEL is off and the emissions monitors are set, you pass. But, in general, California has very limited functional tests - they look very casually at very few systems. It would be unlikely (IME) for a defeated EGR to cause a fail. That doesn't make it not illegal, just unlikely to fail. For many years I had carefully defeated the EGR on my XR4Ti and it never had a problem passing the tailpipe or visual test... EGR is generally only active on part throttle cruise, so doesn't factor in much to a tailpipe test. Or "making power" which is why I am always baffled why so many people are so driven to defeat it. On the CRD, I get it... it's clearly a problem, though I think a bit overblown. Still, I get it. - it's clearly very poorly implemented. That said, my XR's EGR was defeated only because parts were not available... I have since acquired a waiver from the state indicating as much, so I am now exempt from that test. It still needs to pass the tailpipe test, which it does handily.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next