It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fuel tank access hatch time!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:42 pm 
LOST Addict

Ok, so I forgot to swap the float when I installed my airtex, and so my gauge is about 1/5 inaccurate, and I get a fuel lift on my dash, mostly during cold weather.
I've decided to cut the hatch open, but I only found one thread where they cautioned about how close the tank is.

What I want to know, does our hatch look like this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=rear+fu ... ov3YDA-_EM

And did they just run a bead around the perimeter? Or, can we make it a nice overlapping hatch, or should I prepare to weld or bolt on some tabs?

I'm thinking that I'll cut at a 45 degree angle so that the hatch fits like a pumpkin lid regardless. I'll seal it with spray foam, caulk, or silicone so it can be easily sliced open, but waterproof, and easily resealed if opened.

Any insights are much appreciated. I think this is a no-brainer mod, and that there's no need to worry about it affecting value as it will be invisable, and potentially useful for a future owner.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

Post subject: Re: Fuel tank access hatch time!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:11 pm 
LOST Addict

I posted about this several months back and at that time I believe I was told that the US CRDs don't have an access hatch or it could be that after a particular year prior to 2005 they don't have one. Even if ours don't have one still might be worth making one. I didn't pull up carpet etc after was told we don't have the access hatch.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:06 pm 
LOST Addict

I have the carpet removed in mine. The whole area is covered with that interior body coating, and there's an oval depression that's obviously the remnants of a hatch. I'll have to go at it with a chisel first.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:57 pm 
LOST Addict

good luck let us know what you find. I may need the access too.

All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:39 pm 
LOST Addict

TKB4 wrote:
good luck let us know what you find. I may need the access too.

Thanks

I spent:
-about 10 minutes chiseling the coating off.
-10 minutes cutting the hatch out 1/4" bigger than the recessed hatch area.
-5 minutes filing and sanding sharp edges
-2 minutes hammering the hatch flat so my little hinges would mount nicely and so the hatch slightly overlaps.
-10 minutes drilling and attaching the hinges.

Then I worked on swapping the float arm. Very easy access.

Still need to spray some rustoleum paint to stop corrosion, and the largest gap I have is 1/16", so I'm going to lightly seal it with caulk. Easy enough to open with a knife or screwdriver in a pinch.

The flat hatch isn't strong like the old curved pre-cut body was. If you go this route you need to either build a reinforced hatch base/lid, or you could put a piece of 3/8" OSB or about an 18" square piece of 3/16" steel would work lightly glued in place.
I'm going to have a bench like box built in there that levels the sleeping space as I sleep at the jeep prior to many backcountry pack-ins and outs (beats unpacking my pack and setting up a tent for one night, just to then be delayed in the morning with a wet tent, mildew not good. It'll also double as a hidden compartment to hide my sacred Kimber .308.
This 6" bench will keep the weight of dogs or heavy objects off of the hatch.
I may have to go in to the tank a third time for the dash light, so I'm not sealing this thing up anytime too soon.

As another person mentioned, you have to be extremely careful cutting and drilling as the tank is almost touching the body below. I put some tiny cuts and drill holes in the tank, but not nearly deep enough to matter, phew!

I'll try to add a pic soon.

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:39 pm 

What about using a boat hatch plate cover? They come in different sizes, screw in, hinged, plastic, metal, etc...

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:25 am 
LOST Addict

That would work well, just need to be big enough to fanagle the float/pump assembly out of there. 12"+ I imagine.

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:34 am 
LOST Addict

Boat hatch is great idea. Does this hatch also give good enough access to install an in tank fuel pump ?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:03 pm 

TKB4 wrote:
Boat hatch is great idea. Does this hatch also give good enough access to install an in tank fuel pump ?

They come in different sizes and shapes. They have round ones up to about 8 inches ID.
Some of the square ones would allow plenty of access room to the top of the tank and are water and air tight and quite strong.
I have installed some in boats and they are strong enough for people to walk on so I believe they would hold up to the cargo location in a Jeep.

https://www.westmarine.com/access-hatches

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:30 pm 
LOST Member

I wish I had seen this earlier! I have done this on two CRD's now. The first one I cut pretty significantly into the fuel tank, despite being very careful, which scared the crap out of me once I finally removed the "lid" to realize I was probably spraying sparks down into the tank! Luckily diesel isn't as flammable as gasoline!

All I did to seal mine was cut out a piece of 12ga steel a little larger than the opening and caulk it down. I, of course, removed the sound deadening material from the area to be caulked first. Regarding the access hatches, I think you're going to find that there isn't enough room underneath to affix them properly. The tank is literally touching the body panel that you have to cut through to access it. If you dropped the tank an inch or two and installed the hatch, you could then crank the tank back up into position with some protective foam or something to prevent the screws/rivets from puncturing or rubbing on the tank. If you attempt it, please update us with how it works out. I'd like something a little more sophisticated eventually, if possible.

Glad this worked out OK for you. I don't recommend it because it can be very dangerous if you're not careful!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:37 pm 
LOST Addict

APC9199 wrote:
I wish I had seen this earlier! I have done this on two CRD's now. The first one I cut pretty significantly into the fuel tank, despite being very careful, which scared the crap out of me once I finally removed the "lid" to realize I was probably spraying sparks down into the tank! Luckily diesel isn't as flammable as gasoline!

All I did to seal mine was cut out a piece of 12ga steel a little larger than the opening and caulk it down. I, of course, removed the sound deadening material from the area to be caulked first. Regarding the access hatches, I think you're going to find that there isn't enough room underneath to affix them properly. The tank is literally touching the body panel that you have to cut through to access it. If you dropped the tank an inch or two and installed the hatch, you could then crank the tank back up into position with some protective foam or something to prevent the screws/rivets from puncturing or rubbing on the tank. If you attempt it, please update us with how it works out. I'd like something a little more sophisticated eventually, if possible.

Glad this worked out OK for you. I don't recommend it because it can be very dangerous if you're not careful!

I had just enough clearance to put tiny nuts (1/8" thick) for the hinges, so I think the hatch would be fine. You can easily put a slight bend in the body for more clearance also. Tiny hinges, tiny bolts and nuts, and red locktite worked well for me.

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

I had saved this thread in prep for doing the in-tank pump mod, and am circling back onto it now. I've got all the parts/tools needed to install the pump and want to re-visit the hatch install aspect. Can anybody (incl the OP) update their success/lessons learned on this matter?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:47 pm 
LOST Addict

Following along...

I like the idea of a fuel tank access from inside the vehicle. WWDiesel's idea of using marine hatches is brilliant!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:31 pm 
LOST Member

Or you could just install a Carter P4594 Lift pump. I don't know why no one does this anymore. Back in the day it was more popular than the in tank pump. It's not hard to do. People who don't know, don't know they don't know. You know?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:33 pm 
LOST Member

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK wrote:
Following along...

Are you done with my Model 001 Thermostat yet??? I'm dying of old age here!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:16 pm 
LOST Addict

DieselJeepLuvr wrote:
TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK wrote:
Following along...

Are you done with my Model 001 Thermostat yet??? I'm dying of old age here!

I was in hospital for day surgery on Tuesday, April 18.

I am recovering at home, but I have managed to free up time to deburr, clean and assemble thermostats this weekend.

Your thermostat is in this group that I am doing now.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

I measured the in-tank pump at 7" o.d., from the outside of the locking ring tab directly across to the other side of the ring. I could pull up the rear carpet to find this out, but maybe somebody's already got the info: what are the dimensions of the impressed (but not hatched) area in our CRDs directly over the stock tank where an access hatch could be installed?

Thanks in advance for the info!

Steve