It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oil recomendation (I know it's been asked)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi All,

I've been doing a lot of reading and think I've decided on Schaeffer Manufacturing Co. 9000-012 Supreme Full Synthetic Diesel Engine Oil 5w-40. It seems like there are so many options. Is this oil a good choice?

I'm going to add here I am a new owner of a 2006 CRD. I've been totally emerged in this website for days. So much info but... A lot of these posts with general questions about "oil" for example are from 2005 and 2012 etc. I know oil technology has changed a lot over the years.

Last edited by Partsguy19 on Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Oil recomendation (I know it's been asked)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:21 pm 
LOST Member

:POPCORN:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:23 pm 

Partsguy19 wrote:
Hi All,
I've been doing a lot of reading and think I've decided on Schaeffer Manufacturing Co. 9000-012 Supreme Full Synthetic Diesel Engine Oil 5w-40. It seems like there are so many options. Is this oil a good choice?

5W40 full synthetic diesel oil is a good choice for cold winter months, but for summer driving in higher temperatures you may encounter in NC, you may want to consider a heavier oil like this one:
Available at Walmart and most Parts Stores.
Shell Rotella T6 15W-40 Full Synthetic Diesel Engine Oil

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel wrote:
Partsguy19 wrote:
Hi All,

5W40 full synthetic diesel oil is a good choice for cold winter months, but for summer driving in higher temperatures you may encounter in NC, you may want to consider a heavier oil like this one:
Available at Walmart and most Parts Stores.
Shell Rotella T6 15W-40 Full Synthetic Diesel Engine Oil

I've used Rotella for years in farm equipment and that was one of my top choices also.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:06 pm 
LOST Junkie

I run the shell rotella t6 5w-40 in all my diesel engines. Haven't tried the 15w-40 yet. I might this summer.

RUNNING B100
Pic of my Jeep!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:34 pm 

ebbnflow wrote:
I run the shell rotella t6 5w-40 in all my diesel engines. Haven't tried the 15w-40 yet. I might this summer.

I put it in my Jeep CRD about three week ago on the last oil change. It will be going into my Dodge Cummins on its next oil change.
Been running the much higher priced Royal Purple 15w50.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:08 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

only one I knew using Schaeffer was cowpie1 - he was a truck driver who used it in his work truck
he never had any complaints about it.

he hasn't logged in since 2013

I use Mobil 1 TDT 5-40

(there was a comment about 5W being too thick at -30F never tested that)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:36 pm 
LOST Junkie

WWDiesel wrote:
ebbnflow wrote:

I put it in my Jeep CRD about three week ago on the last oil change. It will be going into my Dodge Cummins on its next oil change.
Been running the much higher priced Royal Purple 15w50.
I use it in my yard equipment too. Lawnmower, edger, pressure washer, and Billy goat.

RUNNING B100
Pic of my Jeep!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:27 pm 
LOST Member

It’s an Italian Dohc turbo diesel do it needs a hths oil, big recommend for liquimoly lm2332 leichtlauf high tech 5w40, it’s the best oil for any diesel without a dpf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:33 pm 
LOST Junkie

I use schaeffers 15w40 in everything, they also do their own oil analysis. When i showed my mechanic buddies the analysis, they couldn't believe the amount of zinc in the oil, it is very high which provides great lubrication for the engine.

Ive run 15w40 in my crd with 0 issues, engine runs quieter. Also worth adding, turbos prefer thicker oil. That tidbit is straight from a paper from Borg Warner turbo systems.

05 Liberty Limited CRD, converted to KPA 2863 ball bearing and billet turbo, 50hp injectorsl, complete egr delete, cooling fan delete, weeks intake kit, cummins in tank lift pump, ARP studs, 3" turbo back exhaust, samcos, etecno plugs, GDE trans tune, custom GDE engine tune.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:52 pm 

Brand, type, and weight of oil is a very highly contested and debated subject on this forum or most any forum you read.
Unfortunately there is no magic bullet, everyone has their own opinion of which oil they think is best.
Using the API (American Petroleum Institute) Diesel Oil Ratings as a guide is one way to better understand which oil is best rated for certain diesel engines.
You should never use any oil regardless of brand or weight if it is not rated for diesel engines.
Everything else is totally subjective.

https://www.api.org/products-and-servic ... categories

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:43 pm 
LOST Junkie

x2 for looking at the API requirements, finding a grade appropriate for your climate, and never looking back. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:27 am 
LOST Member

I have a 13 Mercedes bluetec coming in Monday for 2k worth of repairs because the Rotella t6 (he read about online) meets API but yet is the minimum ACEA spec for his engine and guess what... problems... repair bill is about 2k to fix it, in the end the solution is simple... a euro engine needs euro oil to live a long and healthy life... DOHC roller rocker NEEDS a HTHS oil, read up on bobistheoilguy.com and learn about it for yourself! This is not a Cummins or power stroke or Duramax, they just need basic oil (other than the HEUI aspect of the early powerstrokes). We sent 6 vehicles to the scrap yard last year because of overly expensive repair costs, and it’s always the same, guys not understanding oil basics, so go read up and learn up! If you read up on this engine in Europe you will not find an api requirement but instead you will find a ACEA requirement and the oil needs to meet that! That’s why so many euros over here have engine problems! There is more to an oil then viscosity and zink, I have 10w60 at my shop for the m5 cars and yet I don’t use it in my jeeps for a reason!

Last edited by My66dodge on Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:22 am 
LOST Junkie

A little reading for you all !!
The engine oils specified for the vast majority of vehicles sold in Australia are covered by either the SAE / API or ACEA oil classification systems, though there are other systems in use as well. The following is a brief explanation of these classification systems.
SAE viscosity ratings
Oil Viscosity
SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) ratings designate the oil’s viscosity; simply put, how thick or thin an oil is at a certain temperature.
 For example, SAE 30 oil is “thinner” (less viscous) than SAE 50 oil at a given temperature.
The vast majority of carmakers specify multi-grade oils which are designed to act like a thin oil when cold so that they can circulate through the engine quickly on start up, and like a thicker oil when hot, to provide the necessary engine protection.
 An example of a multi-grade oil designation is 10W-40. The 10W (W = winter) indicates how the oil would behave when cold, while the 40 is how it acts when hot.
Mono-Grade Oil
However, some special applications may require a mono-grade oil such as SAE 30. Many older vehicles will also specify a mono-grade oil because they were built at a time when these were the only oils available. Some may accept modern multi-grade oils however you should discuss this with an oil manufacturer first.
API service classifications
American Petroleum Institute service classifications are a two-letter rating beginning with “S” for petrol engine oils and “C” for diesel engine oils. The second letter designates the oil’s quality standard, beginning with the letter “A”.
 The further along the alphabet, the higher the oil’s ‘quality’ or ability to withstand increasing service severity.
Many oils meet standards for both petrol and diesel engines and will be marked with a dual service classification, for example SH/CD. However, this is not universal and it is becoming more common for oils to be specified for only one type of engine.

Selecting the correct oil for your car
The viscosity rating and the classification system when combined generally give the information needed to select the correct oil for your car. Your car’s handbook will specify the manufacturer’s recommendations.
 For example, SH 10W - 30.
Some handbooks also have temperature charts so you can select the correct grade of oil for the climatic conditions the vehicle is likely to operate in.
Superseded API standards
If you have an older vehicle you may find the handbook specifies a superseded service rating, such as SE. Where a vehicle’s handbook lists oils that are no longer readily available, you should discuss appropriate replacements with a lubricant manufacturer.
ACEA service classifications
ACEA stands for the Association des Constructeurs Europeens d’Automobiles, the association of European automobile manufacturers.
Like the API service classifications that have been used in the US and Australia for many years, the European ACEA system is the accepted standard in Europe, and is appearing more frequently in Australia. ACEA Standards
ACEA standards recognise that European engines differ from US (style) engines in both their design and operating conditions and that the demands on their oils are also different. This requires the oils used in European engines to be unique and consequently, the classification system for them also needs to be unique. For this reason, it is difficult to compare the common API classification and ACEA standards, as the test sequences for them are quite different.
Some ACEA standards also take into account the effect the oil has on engine emissions and emission control systems. This is very much more important for engines that need to meet the much tighter Euro emission standards now applicable in Europe and Australia.
 An example of a typical ACEA oil specification is 0W – 40 A3. ACEA Categories Major oil companies are providing ACEA classifications on the packaging of compliant oils. Generally, only the higher quality synthetic or part synthetic oils will meet ACEA standards.  Oils that do not carry ACEA classifications should be regarded as not meeting these standards.

These oils are not suitable for all engines and it is important to follow the vehicle manufacturer’s recommendations at all times. If there is any doubt about the appropriateness of an oil for a particular application, it is wise to check its suitability with the oil’s manufacturer. All major oil companies operate technical help lines and websites that can provide technical information on their range of lubricants, including product recommendations for most vehicles / models. The following information is intended to be a brief explanation only. It should not be used as a guide to selecting a suitable oil.
ACEA categories
A / B / C / E – Petrol and diesel engine oils (A = petrol engines, B = light duty diesel engines, C= catalyst compatible oils, E = heavy duty diesel engines) A1 / B1 Oils intended for use in petrol and diesel car and light commercial vehicles specifically capable of using low friction, low viscosity oils with high temperature / high shear characteristics. A3 / B3 For use in high performance petrol and diesel cars and light commercials where extended drain intervals are specified by the vehicle manufacturer and / or for year-round use of low viscosity oils and / or for use in severe operating conditions as defined by the vehicle manufacturer. A3 / B4 For use in high performance petrol and direct injection diesel engines. Also suitable for applications described under B3. A5 / B5 For use in high performance car and light commercial petrol and diesel engines designed for low viscosity oils where extended oil change intervals are specified by the vehicle manufacturer. C - Catalyst compatible oils C1, C2, C3 and C4 For use in high performance car and light commercial petrol and diesel engines, with diesel particulate filter, three-way catalyst and / or requiring low viscosity, low friction, catalyst-compatible oils.

E- Heavy duty diesel engine oils E4 Recommended for highly rated diesel engines meeting Euro 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 emission standards and running under very severe conditions (i.e. extended oil drain intervals as specified by the vehicle manufacturer) It is suitable for engines without particulate filters, and for some EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) engines and some engines fitted with SCR (selective catalyst reduction) NOx (oxides of nitrogen) reduction systems. E6 Recommended for highly rated diesel engines meeting Euro 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 emission standards and running under very severe conditions, (e.g. extended oil drain intervals as specified by the vehicle manufacturer) It is suitable for EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) engines with or without particulate filters, and for engines fitted with SCR (selective catalyst reduction) NOx (oxides of nitrogen) reduction systems. E6 is strongly recommended for engines fitted with particulate filters and is designed for use in combination with low sulphur diesel fuel. E7
Recommended for highly rated diesel engines meeting Euro 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 emission standards and running under severe conditions, (e.g. extended oil drain intervals as specified by the vehicle manufacturer) It is suitable for engines without particulate filters, and for most EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) engines and most engines fitted with SCR (selective catalyst reduction) NOx (oxides of nitrogen) reduction systems. It further provides excellent wear control, soot handling and lubricant stability, and effective control with respect to piston cleanliness and bore polishing. E9 Recommended for highly rated diesel engines meeting Euro 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 emission standards and running under severe conditions, (e.g. extended oil drain intervals as specified by the vehicle manufacturer) It is suitable for most EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) engines with or without particulate filters, and for most engines fitted with SCR (selective catalyst reduction) NOx (oxides of nitrogen) reduction systems. E9 is strongly recommended for engines fitted with particulate filters and is designed for use in combination with low sulphur diesel fuel. It further provides excellent wear control, soot handling and lubricant stability, and effective control with respect to piston cleanliness and bore polishing.
Superseded ACEA standards
As demands on engines change, oil specifications also need to change. This means that oil specifications become out dated and such oils are no longer produced. Some examples of superseded specifications include E1, E2, E3 and E5. Where a vehicle’s handbook lists oils that are no longer readily available, you should discuss appropriate replacements with a lubricant manufacturer.

ILSAC ratings
Oils carrying the ILSAC rating must meet the oil standards set by the International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee (ILSAC). They are denoted by a GF rating prefix (such as GF3, GF 4 etc). For oils to carry a GF rating they must meet the standard specified by ILSAC for minimum performance requirements (both engine sequence and bench tests) plus physical and chemical properties. ILSAC also requires specific testing to prove improved engine energy efficiency. Typically, ILSAC ratings are applied to low viscosity oils such as 0W-20, 5W-20, 0W-30, 5W-30 and 10W-30. ILSAC GF3 was introduced into Australia in 2001, GF4 in 2004 and GF5 in about 2011. Generally speaking, each change in rating requires significantly more severe test conditions to be met. Thus, later (higher) ratings will typically outperform earlier ILSAC rated oils. Some oils will be specified as meeting ILSAC as well as other standards, such as API. For more information on ILSAC ratings and other low viscosity oils see our fact sheet on Low Viscosity Engine Oils.
Japanese Automotive Standards Organisation oil specifications
While it is common for Japanese vehicle manufacturers to specify engine oils in terms of API oil service classifications, some applications use JASO ratings. This is because API rated oils are not always applicable to Japanese engines, due to variations in engine design and exhaust emission requirements compared to the American engines for which API oils were originally developed. JASO DH-2 and DL-1 are typical examples of diesel engine oil specifications. JASO also provides specifications for petrol engine oils which are particularly relevant to motorcycles and other small engines. There are specific standards for two stroke engines, for example JASO FC or FD, and for four stroke engines (JASO MA and MA2), such as those used in motorcycles which have a clutch and gearbox that are also lubricated by the engine oil.
If in doubt about the suitability of an oil for a particular application, we strongly recommend seeking advice from an oil manufacturer.
Specific vehicle manufacturer oil specifications
It is common for vehicle and engine manufacturers to define a particular oil specification for their product. This is very common with European vehicle manufacturers and heavy diesel engine manufacturers. VW 503.0, VW 508.00, Cummins CES 20081 and Detroit Diesel DDC PGOS 93K218 are a few examples. Usually there is no way for an end user to easily align these requirements to the more commonly used specifications, so unless the particular specification you require is mentioned in the oils spec sheet your selection should be guided by an oil manufacturer.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:59 pm 
LOST Addict

I am not arguing, there may well be better oils but when I tore down two CRD engines to replace head gaskets at a190 to 210,000 miles only owning them since around 80,000 each but with maintenance records showing appropriate oil changes with diesel rated oil ( I don't remember what they were) both had some rocker play but wouldn't have needed replacing for probably another 50k and both had factory crosshatch patterns on liners. I used 5w-40 Mobil 1 turbo diesel oil and the T6 5w-40 at 3,000 to 4,000 mile intervals and they both had GDE tunes already when I dot them not to mention any later EGR changes if any.
I also had one that at 140,000 miles the rockers were trash with everything stock and who knows what maintenance.

My conclusion is that EGR function etc probably more important especially for rockers and that the oil I used was at least adequate. Of course its not a scientific experiment and I would want to use oil that met the manufacturers recs.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:03 pm 

You want ACEA ratings, you got'em!
OEM Specifications and Approvals for Shell ROTELLA® T6 full synthetic heavy duty engine oil
API: CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4
*ACEA E9; JASO DH-2; Cummins CES 20086; Volvo VDS-4.5; Detroit Fluid Specification (DFS) 93K222, Caterpillar ECF-2/ECF-3, MAN M3575, JASO MA/MA2, Allison TES 439, MB-Approval 228.31

From layback40 posted info:
*ACEA E9 Recommended for highly rated diesel engines meeting Euro 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 emission standards and running under severe conditions, (e.g. extended oil drain intervals as specified by the vehicle manufacturer) It is suitable for most EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) engines with or without particulate filters, and for most engines fitted with SCR (selective catalyst reduction) NOx (oxides of nitrogen) reduction systems. E9 is strongly recommended for engines fitted with particulate filters and is designed for use in combination with low sulphur diesel fuel. It further provides excellent wear control, soot handling and lubricant stability, and effective control with respect to piston cleanliness and bore polishing.

guess we'll beat this old horse some more? :ROTFL:
:banghead:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:14 pm 
LOST Member

Yes but the engine is VERY different than a Cummins or Mack (pushrod old school low speed engines) and is more like a Mercedes or VW and yet t6 only meets Mercedes lower spec for diesel for the older ones, not the newer ones or VW or Fiat or Peugeot or Bmw, and they are all more closely related and have similar dohc high speed turbo diesel technology. When the timing tensioner let loose on my wife’s Jeep at 230k (with only the MAF unplugged), I replaced the rockers due to breakage they were tight as the new ones, I tuned it after that job. The little needle bearings in there need oil flow not thickness of oil and they need clean oil as the egr soot loads it and wears them out with grit.

I use t4 and t6 where it belongs in the larger simple pushrod diesels that require basic oil. Again though it is not a HTHS oil like is need to prevent wear on a DOHC engine, there is lots of friction involved in the head and it needs special oil requirements! Put it in a VW BEW engine and you will wear out the cams and injectors writhing 100k for example, while our little tractor engine is not quite as picky still if you plan to make it to 500k it’s a necessity! I have customers past the 300k mark on the original rockers with their r428s and all’s I am saying is that’s the way to do it... read up on what makes a HTHS oil special

HT/HS or "High Temperature/High Shear" (ASTM D-4683) is an rating that determines the oils stability in a high temperature, high stress conditions. The oil's ability to withstand shearing and tearing is very important especially in a high RPM engine. The oil's ability to protect bearings, cylinder walls and rings, connecting rod bearings, main bearings, cam lobes and lifters, etc. is vital to an engine. For an oil to pass the ASTM D-4683, an oil must have a protective viscosity of 2.9 cP at 302 degrees F. The HIGHER the number the better!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:18 pm 
LOST Junkie

This pulled off of the spec sheet for the schaeffers 15w40 i use:

SynShield™ Durability Advantage SAE 15W-40 meets and exceeds the following manufacturers’
specifications and requirements: API Service Classifications CK-4/CJ-4; Military Specification MIL-PRF-
2104K; ACEA E7-16; ACEA E9-16; Global Specification DHD-1; Caterpillar ECF-3; Cummins CES 20081,
CES 20086; Detroit Diesel Power Guard Oil Specifications: DDC93K218 and DDC93K222; Deutz DQC
III-10 LA; Ford WSS-M2C171-E, WSS-M2C171-F1; JASO DH-2; Mack EO-O Premium Plus, Mack EOS-
4.5; MAN 3275, MAN 3575; MB 228.3; MB 228.31; MTU Category Type 2 and 2.1; Renault VI RLD-3,
RLD-4; Scania LDF-2; Volvo VDS 4, VDS 4.5; Navistar; John Deere; CHN (Case-New Holland).
TYPICAL PROPERTIES
SAE GRADE 15W-40
Specific Gravity @ 60°F/15°C .8666
Viscosity 40°C cSt (ASTM D445) 111.7
Viscosity 100°C cSt (ASTM D445) 15.51
Viscosity Index (ASTM D2270) 147
CCS Viscosity @ -20°C cP (ASTM D5293) 4461
Mini-rotary Viscosity-TP1 @ -25°C cP (ASTM D4684) 13,600
High Temperature High Shear Viscosity 302°F/150°C cP (ASTM D4683) 4.1
Flash Point °F/°C (ASTM D92) 469°/243°
Pour Point °F/°C (ASTM D97/D5950) -38°/-39°
Sulfated Ash Content % Wt. (ASTM D874) 1
Total Base Number (ASTM D2896) 10.2
Noack Volatility % Evaporative Loss (ASTM D5800) 10
Shear Stability % Viscosity Loss – 90 Passes (ASTM D7109) 9.96%
TEOST MHT (ASTM D7097) Total Deposits, mg 20.7

05 Liberty Limited CRD, converted to KPA 2863 ball bearing and billet turbo, 50hp injectorsl, complete egr delete, cooling fan delete, weeks intake kit, cummins in tank lift pump, ARP studs, 3" turbo back exhaust, samcos, etecno plugs, GDE trans tune, custom GDE engine tune.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:10 pm 
LOST Member

While it is a good oil like the other is doesn’t meet the requirements of other engines like ours with DOHC HIGH SPEED TURBO DIESELS, the engines I see it meets are pushrod and large LOW SPEED diesels, the MB it meets is the older specs, nothing in the 229 and up requirements... here is the liqui moly leichtlauf high tech I am saying to use

ACEA A3
ACEA B4
API SN
MB-Freigabe 229.5
Peugeot Citroen (PSA) B71 2296
Porsche A40
Renault RN 0700
Renault RN 0710
VW 502 00
VW 505 00
LIQUI MOLY RECOMMENDS THIS PRODUCT FOR VEHICLES THAT NEEDS TO COMPLY THE FOLLOWING SPECIFICATIONS:
BMW Longlife-01 (bis MJ 2018)
Chrysler MS-10725
Chrysler MS-10850
Fiat 9.55535-H2
Fiat 9.55535-M2
Fiat 9.55535-N2
Fiat 9.55535-Z2
Opel GM-LL-B-025
Peugeot Citroen (PSA) B71 2294

The other oil we use a lot is the liquimoly top tech 4200 long life 5w30 and it’s specs are

ACEA C3
API SN
MB-Freigabe 229.31
MB-Freigabe 229.51
Porsche C30
VW 504 00
VW 507 00
LIQUI MOLY RECOMMENDS THIS PRODUCT FOR VEHICLES THAT NEEDS TO COMPLY THE FOLLOWING SPECIFICATIONS:
ACEA C2
BMW Longlife-01 (bis MJ 2018)
BMW Longlife-01 FE (bis MJ 2018)
BMW Longlife-04 (bis MJ 2018)
Fiat 9.55535-S1
Fiat 9.55535-S3
VW 500 00
VW 501 01
VW 502 00
VW 503 00
VW 503 01
VW 505 00
VW 505 01
VW 506 00
VW 506 01 (Ausnahme R5 und V10 TDI-Motoren vor 6/2006)

Both are DESIGNED FOR SIMILAR ENGINES so they would be recommended, or use the top tech 4100 5w40, the only downside to the leichtlauf is it is high saps so it will kill a DPF in time that’s why it’s not recommended on the newer dpf engines otherwise the rep that comes from Germany every so often tells us it’s one of his favorite oil’s... they even use it in formula one cars
Trying to compare large slow speed diesels to ours is like trying to compare a Honda f20c engine to the GM L18 engine, while yes they are both gasoline engines they are completely different and have different requirements. This is the knowledge I have been trying to pass along, everyone tries to use the cummins / cat oils in an unrelated engine with different needs, while it will work, you won’t see the differences in the short term but over the long haul it makes a difference. That’s why we do more repairs for customers who go else where for oil changes on average...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:36 pm 
LOST Addict

I used rotella T6 5w-40 for most of my engines life.
At 160k miles there was no significant rocker arm wear.

Now that I’m over 230k miles I’ve switched to rotella T5 15w-40.
Works good but I live in Florida.