It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: The CRD drive line noise thread
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:46 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

How can i check/test to see if the front differential is the problem without taking everything apart?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:31 pm 

racertracer wrote:
How can i check/test to see if the front differential is the problem without taking everything apart?

If it is an 05 model, you can either jack up the rear end and place it on jack stands with rear tires OFF the ground or simply place the vehicle on a shop lift and lift it up until all tires are off the ground, then crank it up, place transmission in drive and bring speed up to level where you were hearing the noise.
If you don't hear any noise while performing this test, it will eliminate everything on the REAR running gear thus eliminating all those parts.
Short of taking the front differential apart for inspection, your options are limited.
They do make electronic listening devices for finding noises where you put pickups at strategic locations under the vehicle and then go drive the vehicle and listen for the culprit noise. (See information below)

Cautions and Notes: wrote:

If you go the jack up the rear end route, be sure and chock both front wheels, forward and rearward real good on both sides before performing the test.
When you perform this test, it will set an ABS light on the dash, but it will go away once you drive it down the road a little with all four wheels rotating.
When you let off the throttle, be sure and slowly & gently brake the rear wheels to a slow stop before placing the transmission back in Park.
Do not think you can perform this kind of test on an 06 model since it has the traction control ABS system.

Wireless ChassisEAR Diagnostic Device Kit: https://www.steelmantools.com/wireless- ... 60635.html
SKU 60635, can be ordered direct or bought on Amazon.
The STEELMAN 60635 Wireless ChassisEAR is a unique automotive diagnostic device designed to pinpoint squeaks, rattles, vibrations, and other noises across a vehicle's engine, axles, and chassis.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:36 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

WWDiesel wrote:
racertracer wrote:

If it is an 05 model, you can either jack up the rear end and place it on jack stands with rear tires OFF the ground or simply place the vehicle on a shop lift and lift it up until all tires are off the ground, then crank it up, place transmission in drive and bring speed up to level where you were hearing the noise.
If you don't hear any noise while performing this test, it will eliminate everything on the REAR running gear thus eliminating all those parts.
Short of taking the front differential apart for inspection, your options are limited.
They do make electronic listening devices for finding noises where you put pickups at strategic locations under the vehicle and then go drive the vehicle and listen for the culprit noise. (See information below)

Cautions and Notes: wrote:

If you go the jack up the rear end route, be sure and chock both front wheels, forward and rearward real good on both sides before performing the test.
When you perform this test, it will set an ABS light on the dash, but it will go away once you drive it down the road a little with all four wheels rotating.
When you let off the throttle, be sure and slowly & gently brake the rear wheels to a slow stop before placing the transmission back in Park.
Do not think you can perform this kind of test on an 06 model since it has the traction control ABS system.

Wireless ChassisEAR Diagnostic Device Kit: https://www.steelmantools.com/wireless- ... 60635.html
SKU 60635, can be ordered direct or bought on Amazon.
The STEELMAN 60635 Wireless ChassisEAR is a unique automotive diagnostic device designed to pinpoint squeaks, rattles, vibrations, and other noises across a vehicle's engine, axles, and chassis.

WW.. as always, I appreciate your response, you're a great resource on this forum. thank you

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:45 am 

Kind of ironic, I just got this email from a tool vendor this morning. I have no affiliation with them but have purchased several tools from them in the past. :shock:
This is a pretty good deal if you are needing this type of equipment to help pinpoint a strange noise in your vehicle.
Sale Price include free shipping. :D

ChassisEAR® Squeak & Rattle Finding Kit:> https://www.tooltopia.com/steelman-6600.aspx
Quickly pinpoints problems under Chassis, Fuel Injectors, Bearings, Gears & Suspension, Transmission, Differential/C.V. Joint.
Listen to six different under chassis locations in one road test
Clamp the six sensors on springs, torque rods, shocks, body mounts, brakes, dash assembly, door hinges, drive train, rear or front axle, transmission, transfer case, suspension, sway bars, tie rod ends, struts, axle hubs, ring & pinion bearings, mufflers, catalytic converter, 02 sensor, A/T case, oil pump, or even an un-torqued bolt

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:47 am 
LOST Newbie

Yes, I had a loud whirring noise from the front which started when I reached 20mph and it would get slightly louder and only change pitch a little after that. I knew it wasn't a worn clutch release bearing, as the noise didn't change when I dipped the clutch, nor did it change when I changed gear, or put it in 4x4...I had no idea what it was, but at one point I thought it was my gearbox on it's way out so I started looking for another gearbox...I was quoted £1950, including fitting, for a reconditioned box! And he would have expected mine in exchange for free! As it was still going into gear fine I eventually realised that wasn't the problem...Next suspect was the front prop shaft...I went to Propshaft Services, and the guy crawled under and checked the CV's at both ends...They were fine so it wasn't that.
Next I suspected a worn pinion bearing in the front diff and I was sure than was the problem until people kept suggesting I change the front hubs. I explained that if there had been any play in them it would not have passed the MOT. But then someone said they can still be noisy even when there is no play in them...And that is when I started looking for new hubs.
The strange thing was I could not hear any noise from the hubs outside with the windows wound down, only from the front somewhere, from inside...Which is why I didn't suspect them.
I got a pair of good quality, German made, ABS hubs for only £68 the pair on ebay. Fitting them was quite frankly a PITA as I had to make my own hub puller to get them off the driveshaft splines after struggling for hours without one, but afterwards...There was no noise! What a relief knowing it had been the hubs all along.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

At around 50/55 mph I have a loud pulsing roar that not only can be heard but felt in the floorboard. It seems to be intermittently present at slower speeds and load/acceleration seem to change when and if I hear it. The pulsing seems to go away above 65mph but the loud roar is still there. It seems like it is coming from the front of the vehicle. However, my Jeep DOES NOT HAVE the forward drive shaft and front CV axles installed at this time and has new front wheel bearings. The noise is not dependent on engine speed (even off, coasting trans in N) and doesn’t change with tire pressure changes. The rear shaft to diff U joint was also replaced recently. The shaft to transmission U joint did not have any play and was not replaced. The U joint job did not change the roar either.

I know my rear upper control arm boomerang is worn-out, it will be replaced this week. Could this worn-out arm be causing a driveshaft u joint miss-alignment and that noise/vibration is just being felt in the front of the vehicle as the U Joint vibration transfers through the trans, engine and thus felt more up front? Motor mounts do not seem worn out.

I've seen several posts with similar symptoms that were solved by new front bearings, but mine are new. Is there a chance my new ones were manufactured wrong?

I’ll take a video of the noise when this very welcomed north Texas rains takes a break.

What do y’all think?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:53 pm 

Make sure it is not tire noise. Put it up on a rack (lift) and run up to speed where noise is usually heard and see if it is still there or it goes away.
(this will most likely trigger a ABS alarm, but it will go away once you drive it around on solid ground again)
If you still hear it, then it is in the driveline somewhere.
If you don't hear it, then it is most likely a bad tire?
While you got it up on a lift, you can spin the front tires/hubs by hand and listen and feel for a bad hub bearing and check all CV joints, driveshaft CV joints, and rear U joints.
:idea: :SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:03 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

WWDiesel wrote:
Make sure it is not tire noise. Put it up on a rack (lift) and run up to speed where noise is usually heard and see if it is still there or it goes away.
(this will most likely trigger a ABS alarm, but it will go away once you drive it around on solid ground again)
If you still hear it, then it is in the driveline somewhere.
If you don't hear it, then it is most likely a bad tire?
While you got it up on a lift, you can spin the front tires/hubs by hand and listen and feel for a bad hub bearing and check all CV joints, driveshaft CV joints, and rear U joints.
:idea: :SOMBRERO:

Yes, I replaced both front bearing one time on my libby, to find out the Bridgestone Revos were the problem, with a rotation front to back, noises changed. :roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8