It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help Please with 2005 Liberty T-Case
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 4:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hey Everyone. Been searching everywhere but can't seem to find how to unsieze a Transfer case shifter? I just got a new to me 2005 Liberty. I drove it home with no issues. Later that night i tried to shift into 4WD to see that it worked. Then 4low. Well that is where the problem happened. It got stuck in 4 low and I could not get it out. I tried all the tricks and procedures that I found online with no luck at all. So I took it very slow and brought it to my mechanic.
I asked for a pre safety and to also get it back into 2WD for me.

He got it back into 2WD for me but said the Transfer case is seized? also the shifter cable is damaged. Also some other things with AirBag light is on and seat belt light is on all the time :(

I was hoping all you guys could help me out by letting me know how to un seize the transfer case linkage? Can I take the center console out and access the linkage from above? Or???

Any help will be great as I would love to get this on the road before summer :)

Thanks all!

Dezi

Post subject: Re: Help Please with 2005 Liberty T-Case
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 5:21 pm 
LOST Member

You probably weren’t yanking on it enough. They take a good bit of force to shift them. Otherwise just keep it lubed up is all you can do I think. Is it a cable or just a hard linkage? If it’s a cable then they need cleaned and lubed to have any chance of working.

2005 limited, tinted, OME lift, falken wildpeak 245/75-16, Suncoast, Transgo, Chevy fan+clutch, 195° Kap Stat Mod, Derale tranny cooler, Provent, Stage 2 tune, EGRdelete, Cat delete, Group65 batt, V6 airbox, tow brakes, switchblade key, DIY roof rack, DIY Front bumper,
Future; rear bumper, true tracs, tank fuel pump, webasto heater, 5sp manual

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 8:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

Jett wrote:
You probably weren’t yanking on it enough. They take a good bit of force to shift them. Otherwise just keep it lubed up is all you can do I think. Is it a cable or just a hard linkage? If it’s a cable then they need cleaned and lubed to have any chance of working.

Well we had to use a pry bar and whack it to get it out of 4Low. So the plan is to take the console out from inside, pull the shift lever out of the way and start to lubricants the linkage from above.

Could you guys think of a better way or if I’m thinking about this all wrong?

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 10:23 pm 

It should shift easily thought the different positions when the transmission selector is in the neutral position.
First thing to try is disconnect the transfer case shift cable at the transfer case and see how easy it is to move the transfer 4x4 lever with it disconnected.
If the lever move easily through all the positions, then your problem is in the transfer case, not the shift mechanism.
If you find the problem to be the transfer case itself, you can rebuild it, have it rebuilt, or find a used one in a salvage yard.
They are simple manual boxes and fairly easy to rebuild.
Not a lot of parts in them that wear out.

:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount