It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AC Compressor questions, please help!
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 1:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have installed a new ac system in my 2003 Jeep Liberty 3.7

New accumulator, new condenser, new compressor, all with correct measured amounts of PAG46, and also a new liquid line with orifice tube, and all new gaskets and o-rings on every connection.

Pulled a vacuum and checked for leaking psi, then pulled a vacuum before introducing R134a.

I put about 3 oz of pag46 into the compressor and I hand cranked it about 30 times before I added r134 or plugged in power...

What I am getting here is the same issue I started with... The compressor kicks on and off for 5 seconds at a time, over and over...

The pressure on low side goes from 40-45, compressor kicks on, takes it down to 20-25, then turns off... over and over...

Before all the part swapping, the high side was just matching the low side, but now it seems to go up to 75+ psi when compressor is on...

Anyone know if this could be the high pressure switch or something? Or a problem with the evaporator? (The only major component I didn't replace) Keep in mind the 2003 liberty doesn't have an expansion valve in the evaporator)

Post subject: Re: AC Compressor questions, please help!
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 8:57 pm 
LOST Junkie

What is the outdoor temperature when you are testing it?

Did you weigh in the correct refrigerant charge amount?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Provent @ 43,000 km
SEGR in progress
SAMCO Sport hoses @ 48500 km
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT225/75R16

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

WolverineFW wrote:
What is the outdoor temperature when you are testing it?

Did you weigh in the correct refrigerant charge amount?

About 65 degrees outside...

The system isn't pulling refrigerant in really... It took in maybe a couple ounces or so I would say, but that was enough to make it show 35 psi or so and kick the compressor on and off...

When I turn the can of r134 on it barely flows, and the can gets frosty cold and hard... Could this be because the system is clogged or something, and the high side pressure is just coming from the condenser backflowing?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:13 pm 
LOST Junkie

First, at 65F you are never going to be able to properly test the performance of the AC since there is no load on it.

Second, you should be charging an empty automotive AC by weight. It is a critically charged system. Yes it will take a long time to suck in all that refrigerant with the compressor cycling on and off. You could try and warm the refrigerant canister with an electric heating pad or something...don't use a torch on those.

Or you can try and override the compressor to run until you have the full charge in the system.

I doubt you have any restrictions based on everything you have changed out.

Provent @ 43,000 km
SEGR in progress
SAMCO Sport hoses @ 48500 km
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT225/75R16

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

WolverineFW wrote:
First, at 65F you are never going to be able to properly test the performance of the AC since there is no load on it.

Second, you should be charging an empty automotive AC by weight. It is a critically charged system. Yes it will take a long time to suck in all that refrigerant with the compressor cycling on and off. You could try and warm the refrigerant canister with an electric heating pad or something...don't use a torch on those.

Or you can try and override the compressor to run until you have the full charge in the system.

I doubt you have any restrictions based on everything you have changed out.

This whole thing has been one long learning experience. I ordered a new evaporator because I thought it must be the cause since it is the only thing I didn't replace... Turns out I just needed to be more patient and pump a tiny bit in at a time... because of your one sentence "yes it will take a long time to suck in all that refrigerant" I saved ripping my whole dash apart to replace my evaporator, and now I got both cars pumping cold air. hahaha. thanks man.