It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CRD prices are insane - as all used vehicles...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:17 pm 
LOST Addict

Have you guys looked at how much CRDs are listed for sale? Sounds like I am living under a rock, although I knew used vehicles picked up crazy in prices, I could not believe a 15-16 years old vehicle can go for 6-8K, that in stock config. Well, I guess if they made it so long, they may not be entirely in stock config, lol.

There are quite a few on autorader.com, those with decent interior and 150K-ish give or take go for about 8,000. Did not monitor to see if some of them sell, since 2 weeks ago were under 10 in the US, now are 16...

Anybody selling?

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

Post subject: Re: CRD prices are insane - as all used vehicles...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:44 pm 
LOST Junkie

Look down a few threads ... Someone was discussing selling. There is one on CL in California. I will probably sell mine before the end of the year.

Used car prices have been 175% of "normal" for a long time now. Lots of theories on the cause, but it's probably a combination of factors. Trucks and SUVs are the worst affected... The last year has gotten a lot of folks interested in camping etc.

Good news (maybe) is new car sales are picking up, so that may add inventory to the used market and help get prices back to normal.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:51 am 
LOST Newbie

Well try as I might, I couldn't get $5k for mine. Very clean, no rust, stock setup other than a tune, drives great. Now, it does have 252k miles on it, but a completely rebuilt tranny, new tires and brakes all round. Well maintained and garaged most of its life. Americans just don't understand the durability and longevity of a good diesel.

My significant other really really wanted a new vehicle, so now we have a crew cab Tacoma, v6 offroad. Nice vehicle, but frankly I prefer to drive the CRD. I'll keep the Jeep, it's bought and paid for, gets better mileage,
and diesel torque makes for a better tow platform.

All up with the work I've done and original cost of $4k, I've got around $8k in it. A TB job and possible valve job are in the cards, but then I see no reason why it can't ez go another 100k-200k miles. Like any elderly vehicle,
it'll need ongoing maintenance and service, but it beats the hell out of >$40k+ for a new vehicle of dubious quality. To give Toyota its due however, it looks to be a proper truck, and does come with a 7yr/84k bumper to bumper warranty.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:10 pm 

The biggest hurdle owners face going forward is the lack of some very critical and unique only to this vehicle parts. Some of these parts are drying up fast and / or totally unavailable as of today.
Keeping one of these on the road in the future is going to be more and more challenging as more and more of these very unique and critical parts fails and becomes unavailable.
Buying up some spare parts is a wise move for just in case insurance. If you see one in a boneyard, there are a few items you should grab if they are available like the Front Control Module on the 05 models as the 05 engine's will NOT run if it fails and it is no longer available new anywhere. :banghead:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks WW for the heads up on the FCM. Did you recently post a list of necessary mods over on FB? The CRD was never as popular as my other ride, the VW TDI, so parts for them are more available. Even so, I've been slowly building a reserve of bits and pieces for the "02 Golf.
Driving both of my diesels now means that individually their mileage has been cut ~ in half.
Lol, as long as one of them makes it the next 11yrs or so, I'll be hitting 80 if we all make it that far.
That'll do! At that point many who make it shouldn't really be driving.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:55 pm 

Rrusse11 wrote:
Thanks WW for the heads up on the FCM. Did you recently post a list of necessary mods over on FB? The CRD was never as popular as my other ride, the VW TDI, so parts for them are more available. Even so, I've been slowly building a reserve of bits and pieces for the "02 Golf.
Driving both of my diesels now means that individually their mileage has been cut ~ in half.
Lol, as long as one of them makes it the next 11yrs or so, I'll be hitting 80 if we all make it that far.
That'll do! At that point many who make it shouldn't really be driving.

Yep, one and the same!
Some drivers I observe nowadays even a lot younger than us, have no business driving at all right now. :lol:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:42 am 
LOST Member

So Same Guy, why you selling now, after all that work?

And WW, did you post that list here too? Some of us don't know what FB is still... :-)r :-)r

1998 XJ 4.0L, stock with 130,XXX miles

First Jeep: 1962 Willys CJ-3B

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:21 pm 
LOST Junkie

I originally bought the CRD for someone else, but after putting a PILE of work into it and then finding that massive oil leak I parked it and bought her something else. I don't like unsolved mysteries so I was compelled to fix it. I have been enjoying driving it and was hoping that it would be a good, more efficient replacement for the Suburban, but I just don't think it's going to work out. The Suburban only sees a couple thousand miles a year so fuel isn't a huge cost, and the interior space just isn't there for us, the dog, and our gear.... it's gets pretty crowded in the back, and I don't feel the dog is safe when she is sharing space with cargo... in the Suburban the 3rd row seat is a good divider in case of an unexpected stop. And, the 3rd row seat is comfortable for the old girl (she's nearly 15!)

I've got 2500 miles on the Jeep so far, and I will keep it for a while longer. I want to be fully certain the fan holds up to the rigors of summer and that it's going to be reliable. It's been awesome so far, but I'd like to at least get to the first oil change. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:29 pm 

krb wrote:
So Same Guy, why you selling now, after all that work?
And WW, did you post that list here too? Some of us don't know what FB is still... :-)r :-)r

"FB" = Face Book.
The list has been published on LOSTJeeps several times before, but here it is again for those who may not have seen it:
(Feel free to copy and save it)

**Top Mods to make Jeep Liberty CRD reliable: wrote:
The Jeep Liberty CRD is really not a vehicle for everyone unless you are capable of performing most all of your own vehicle maintenance, wrenching, and performing most of your own repairs!
If you have to pay someone else to perform work on this engine and you are lucky enough to actually find someone that is knowledgeable and experienced on how to work on this very unique engine, it can get real expensive real fast!!!
The parts and the labor both can be very expensive!!!

Below is a list supplied to some other requesters previously, it certainly is not all inclusive, but a good basic list of possibilities to consider... Searching on LOSTJeeps.com, and YouTube you can find informational threads/videos on many of these items along with some 'how to' instructions on them... If you have questions on any of the items just ask, there are many great people on the Jeep forums more than willing to help and answer any question no matter now trivial....

**Timing belt replacement should be number one if you have not done it or know if and / or when it was last done! Most replace the water pump as well when replacing the timing belt...
A broken timing belt can cause catastrophic damage as this is an interference engine and repairs can get very expensive when considering replacement costs of damaged parts and labor...

Never install an in-hose thermostat, it has been reported by some owners who tried it to be a very bad modification that may cause a blown head gasket or worse yet, a cracked head. Not worth the risk!

**Top Mods to make Jeep Liberty CRD reliable:
Some very good updates and mods worth considering as time and money allow:
    1. ‡Total EGR system delete! Number one and most critical modification to this engine to improve longevity and reliability.
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... L&_sacat=0
    2. Install intank fuel pump. (Eliminates all air in fuel problems forever)
    http://www.auerbach.ca/kj/lift_pump/default.html
    3. Replace *timing belt, idler rollers, tension roller, and water pump
    (*if it has not already been done) https://www.idparts.com/timing-belt-kit ... -2721.html
    4. Replace all engine exhaust valves if vehicle mileage is approaching 200k. They are known for breaking off and causing catastrophic engine damage when reaching a certain life cycle.
    5. If the head is removed for any reason, reinstall using APG head studs, they provide much better clamping and sealing force than the OEM head bolts.
    6. Replace *Ceramic Glow Plugs with 5 volt metal ones if it has not already been done.
    *Ceramic ones can break off and cause catastrophic engine damage
    7. Install ProVent 200 filter on CCV system
    8. Replace boost hoses with good quality Silicone hoses
    Items 3-8 along with many other parts for this engine/vehicle can be sourced from IDParts.com
    9. Install 2-micron secondary fuel filter after stock OEM filter to protect CP3 pump & injectors (must have lift pump installed to run two fuel filters)
    viewtopic.php?f=98&t=80139&hilit
    10. Change engine oil / filter, use 5W-40 or higher full synthetic diesel rated oil only. CJ4 or higher API rating. Use a 15w40 weight full synthetic oil like Shell Rotella T6 is best in warmer locations. (Install a larger better-quality oil filter and never use 0 weight rated oil in this engine!)
    11. Make sure you only use or have the correct HOAT G-05 antifreeze installed.
    (Do not use the green stuff)
    12. ‡Remove CAT & choke point from exhaust pipe and put in straight piece of pipe in place of CAT (improves exhaust gas flow, lowers backpressure on turbo and improves turbo spool up response time)
    13. Replace muffler with straight through performance muffler like a Flowmaster. (Same improvements as item #13)
    14. Replace torque converter with a better/stronger unit if OEM TC is slipping. SunCoast TC is a highly rated TC that many have used!
    15. Replace transmission front pump assembly if you have the transmission out for any reason. There are wear items in the front pump that cause problems with age.
    16. Install Magnefine in-line transmission fluid filter (filters and traps all micro fine metal particles and can be serviced without dropping transmission pan)> https://www.magnefinefilters.com/NEW-Ma ... 810000.htm
    17. Replace the flimsy rear upper OEM boomerang control arm with the super heavy duty IronRock Control Arm & mount. https://www.ironrockoffroad.com/
    Replace all springs and shocks with quality parts like IRONMAN or OME springs and Bilstein Shocks. https://ironman4x4america.com/
    (OEM Springs’s sag and get weak over time and shocks wear out)
    18. Upgrade tires if needed.
    19. Add a good tune to the ECM for more power and better fuel economy.
    Some free DYI tunes are available on LOSTJeeps.com Web site.
    viewtopic.php?f=98&t=78418
    20. Hub bearings, front driveshaft CV joints, and front drive axle CV joints, rear U-Joints as needed.
    21. Add an additional transmission fluid cooler and a deeper sump transmission oil pan, especially if you are towing heavy loads in high temperature conditions.

There are some more, but this is a good starting point....
**List not all inclusive but covers most of the main or known failure/problematic items & areas.

Total removal of the CAT and EGR items may not be possible depending on your location and whether or not your vehicle has to endure an inspection. If it does there are some workarounds for both items to disable them completely but leave them in place for visual inspections purposes!

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:30 am 
LOST Member

I hear you on room. I think my 1990 Corolla wagon can hold more cargo.

Thanks for the reprint WW, I think I might have seen that before, a long time time ago, but not on this thing you call "Face Book". I'll save it.

1998 XJ 4.0L, stock with 130,XXX miles

First Jeep: 1962 Willys CJ-3B

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:36 pm 

krb wrote:
Thanks for the reprint WW, I think I might have seen that before, a long time time ago, but not on this thing you call "Face Book". I'll save it.

FYI:>
Jeep Liberty CRD "Facebook" Page
If you want an invite to join, let me know.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:56 pm 
LOST Addict

WWDiesel wrote:
krb wrote:

FYI:>
Jeep Liberty CRD "Facebook" Page
If you want an invite to join, let me know.

I wouldn't mind one, lol. Just found out about this and I requested membership.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:43 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
The biggest hurdle owners face going forward is the lack of some very critical and unique only to this vehicle parts. Some of these parts are drying up fast and / or totally unavailable as of today.
Keeping one of these on the road in the future is going to be more and more challenging as more and more of these very unique and critical parts fails and becomes unavailable.
Buying up some spare parts is a wise move for just in case insurance. If you see one in a boneyard, there are a few items you should grab if they are available like the Front Control Module on the 05 models as the 05 engine's will NOT run if it fails and it is no longer available new anywhere. :banghead:

Part number please for the FCM. I cannot find it. 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited CRD.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:54 pm 

joelukex4 wrote:
WWDiesel wrote:

Part number please for the FCM. I cannot find it. 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited CRD.

Front Control Module (FCM) -- 56044599AF

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:17 pm 
LOST Addict

Anybody knows how to test a FCM, assuming you get your hands on one? Will it work just plug and play, or is some additional programming needed?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:29 pm 

thermorex wrote:
Anybody knows how to test a FCM, assuming you get your hands on one? Will it work just plug and play, or is some additional programming needed?
Good question!
From the FSM: wrote:
The Front Control Module (FCM) (2) (Fig. 12) is located in the engine compartment below the Power Distribution Center (PDC).
The FCM’s primary function is to define communications between electronic controllers and move data collected from the multiple controllers to the host controller for processing using Controller Area Network (CAN), Programmable Communication Interface (PCI) buss or J1850.
The FCM does not contain any drivers, and therefore does not directly operate any vehicle components.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:39 pm 
LOST Addict

WWDiesel wrote:
thermorex wrote:
Good question!
From the FSM: wrote:
The Front Control Module (FCM) (2) (Fig. 12) is located in the engine compartment below the Power Distribution Center (PDC).
The FCM’s primary function is to define communications between electronic controllers and move data collected from the multiple controllers to the host controller for processing using Controller Area Network (CAN), Programmable Communication Interface (PCI) buss or J1850.
The FCM does not contain any drivers, and therefore does not directly operate any vehicle components.

Perfect, so it is just plug and play, thanks WW, much appreciated! Didn't even think to look in the FSM, I don't drive this jeep as i used to and I forgot the FSM even exists, lol... :banghead:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:29 pm 
LOST Addict

FYI, there's a bunch of fcm available from ebay, most from overseas. Just search eBay for part number wwdiesel provided - > 56044599AF

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:47 pm 

FYI, if you drive a 2005 model, be forewarned!
A fully functioning forward control module (FMC) is an essential piece of equipment for the 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD.
IF it craps out for any reason whatsoever, you are totally dead in the water, the engine will NOT start or run without it functioning properly . :dead:
Pretty scary ah, since they are no longer available from any Mopar sources new. :banghead:
:grim:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:29 pm 
LOST Addict

WWDiesel wrote:
FYI, if you drive a 2005 model, be forewarned!
A fully functioning forward control module (FMC) is an essential piece of equipment for the 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD.
IF it craps out for any reason whatsoever, you are totally dead in the water, the engine will NOT start or run without it functioning properly . :dead:
Pretty scary ah, since they are no longer available from any Mopar sources new. :banghead:
:grim:

I think we should look into buying at least the FCM (for 2005) and ECM, not sure if TCM will be hard to get being for a 545 rfe, but I would get all of them. I got an ebay FCM, will be looking for TCM and ECM. I also know there is a BCM, is this correct? And/or, is there any other computer that we should look for? I am trying to get a list of "todos" and get what I need before I need it...