It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gremlin p0299 in my money pit >:(
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hey guys, dumb owner of a money pit diesel…anyways about 2 months ago I heard a loud bang in my engine bay gave me a p0299, didn’t feel any loss in power after I restarted the car. Decided to to software only egr delete to see if it was egr, nothing happened. 1 month later after driving with the code I noticed the car takes an extra 2 seconds to build boost from 45 -55mph about. Thought turbo was bad. Replaced it (spent an extra $700 having a shop fix an electrical issue I caused from replacing it myself ). Along with that I put in an actual egr delete with new hoses and glow plugs. Still have my p0299 and slow to boost at same speeds. Basically I wasted money on a Sasquatch turbo and spent an extra $700 because I’m dumb. My question is has anyone experienced something similar or may know what my issue is? I had a shop check for boost leaks… I’m thinking it’s the vacuum system that’s controls the turbo?

'05 kj CRD Limited 160k on body 85k on engine, 2.5" lift, JBA arms, OME springs, Bilstein 5100 front, skyjacker blackmax rear, Spider spacers, toyo a/t 245 75s, all suspension and steering components new, sasquatch turbo, EGR delete, 5v bosch plugs, @Libby.PDX on Instagram!

Post subject: Re: Gremlin p0299 in my money pit >:(
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

Forgot to mention the Libby smokes like a deleted 12 valve when the turbo is under load (when the boost is suppose to come in)

'05 kj CRD Limited 160k on body 85k on engine, 2.5" lift, JBA arms, OME springs, Bilstein 5100 front, skyjacker blackmax rear, Spider spacers, toyo a/t 245 75s, all suspension and steering components new, sasquatch turbo, EGR delete, 5v bosch plugs, @Libby.PDX on Instagram!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:01 pm 

Check all your vacuum hoses and plastic pipes in the vacuum system.
You may just want replace all the vacuum hoses and plastic pipes with silicone vacuum hose which is impervious to heat and oil.
When I did mine, I found the little plastic vacuum pipe was partly collapsed between the turbo modulator valve the the turbo vane actuator.
Doing this greatly improved turbo response time.
On mine, I actually split the vacuum system and ran a separate hoses for the Turbo Controls and a different one for the HVAC system. see drawing

See this thread for more pictures:> viewtopic.php?p=940681#p940681

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

Loud bang, underboost code, smokes bad, replaced turbo and the symptoms didn't change? You checked the boost hoses really well right? Like, really really well, right? Failing that the intercooler is far less common but still possible. You need to see what kind of boost you're building. Lots of black smoke means not enough air, so either no boost or rockers are my guess.

How are you reading the actual boost pressures? You can read them with an obd2 adapter and a smartphone, a scan tool, or a dedicated gauge. First things first, got to know what's going on here.

Have you cleaned/replaced the MAP sensor lately (top of intake/valve cover, towards the back). These are bad for clogging up, especially with egr.

Have you checked the vacuum system for leaks or at least that it's pulling 25"inhg+ (think that's right) entering the the solenoid? You can also tee a gauge into the line going to the turbo, but there aren't any specs I'm aware of to tell you what to expect there.

How many miles/years do you have on the timing belt?

Hope it's something simple!

Also, $700 for an electrical repair? That's insane, I'd like to know what they did!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

I checked all boost pipes and replaced with Mishimotos. I had my regular car mechanic check for boost leaks and see if the radiator is good. $700 is for a special super expensive diesel shop to work on it. Out in Oregon nobody is wants to touch these and if you want a competent guy to work on a crd Libby get ready to shell a fortune. I had to sue one of my previous mechanics for a new engine (he threw it out of time when changing the rear main seal) about 85k on engine. New belts 75k. I’m gonna start replacing vacuum system stuff…

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:23 pm 
LOST Newbie

I’m about to pay $700 for them to fix a broken ground to my tcm and charge my A/c lol arm and a leg for nothing. But hey when 3 shops told you they won’t even touch it I guess I was screwed. I was prob never gonna find that broken wire because the scan tool was saying the front gateway had a electrical fault instead of the tcm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ouch... That sucks, but electrical stuff can be really hard to track down ($700 is still nuts).

I'd get a vacuum gauge and a obd2 adapter before I started replacing anything, it's like $40 for both ($20 vacuum test kit, $12 bluetooth OBD2 thing, and $5 for torque pro), bit more if you get a better OBD2 adapter. Mityvac would let you apply vacuum too (without the engine running of course), though I don't think that's necessary. Without tools you're just guessing and throwing money at it with no idea what's going on.

Loud bangs really worry me, but you should be safe for timing and valves, hopefully.

There is one vacuum solenoid you can safely bypass for testing, and one you cannot (the safe one is just on/off, it stops the stored vacuum in the reservoir from bleeding off when you shut off the engine. If it fails closed, no boost. The other one regulates the turbo, bypassing it could result in bad things). You really need to find out if you're building boost at all before you start throwing parts at it.

If you're not then you need to look at the vacuum system. It's pretty simple, and fairly easy to test with just a vacuum gauge. There are a few places they could fail, like the one going from the solenoid to the turbo. It's a little plastic line that goes through some pretty hot places. Could get brittle and crack or break.

If that's all good, then have another look at anywhere boost could escape the intake system (you said radiator, probably a mistake and you meant intercooler, but I'll mention it so we don't miss something obvious).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

Yes I meant intercooler. Car boost fine until 45 mph then black smoke and small lag before it kicks in before I hit 55+mph. The turbo vacuum modulator and filter and solenoid aren’t too expensive. When I removed the vaccum lines from the turbo I could tell there was vacuum inside them. I will get something figured out to check boost levels. I drove my car for over a month after the “bang” because I felt no difference in power only after a little more than a month did the turbo start to lag and blow smoke.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:29 pm 

Where are you located?

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:25 pm 
LOST Newbie

Portland, I’m I’ll be back in town to replace the vaccum tubes on the 13th… really hope there’s a kink in the plastic lines.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:10 am 
LOST Member

There is a CRD mechanic in Kenniwick Washington if you can get there. He is a member of this forum.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:49 pm 
LOST Newbie

Found the issue ww diesel was correct a plastic vaccum tube was broken. Replaced it with a silicone one from Amazon for $11. Only tools required was a pair of scissors. Pissed that I dropped money on a new turbo and even more pissed because 2 months ago I gave my regular car mechanic all 3 components to the vaccum system to to make sure it was working fine (both modulator thingys and the filter) from a crd that happened to be in a pick in pull. Lesson is to check both the modulator system and the lines connecting it. Literally took me 10 mins to put the new line in. Replacing the turbo took me about half a week cause that was the first time working (under the hood) on my car. If anyone has a gremlin p0299 you know where to look first now lol. Ima still a forum newbie not really sure how to post pics, here’s some links to them hope they work… https://ibb.co/C73cLf8
https://ibb.co/zfYWGhc
https://ibb.co/Y2Zn4b0 I’m gonna zip tie them together and replace the other tubes later.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:42 pm 

Very glad you got it all sorted out and it turned out to be something very simple like a vacuum line. :BINGO:

So sorry you wasted your money on a new turbo, maybe you can sale your old one if it is still good and not hurt.

Don't feel bad, you are not the first one to stung by a leaking vacuum tube/hose, etc...and and relying on an uninformed mechanic working on this engine.
A good mechanic who fully understands these engines and is knowledgeable in how they are controlled and function will always check the obvious things first, i.e. vacuum lines, air in fuel, MAP Sensor, etc...

If you have a problem, always seek advice on the Jeep CRD forums as there are many very knowledgeable and willing to help members that can guide you and tell you what to check first to hopefully prevent you from making expensive mistakes by throwing the parts cannon at a problem...
:D
:rockon:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the Vacuum diagram WW! Got it saved in my Jeep folder.

Sorry to hear about your trials and troubles jerry, it never ceases to amaze me how failure of a bit of rubber or the like can lead to so much of a headache and cost. I fixed a boost leak recently for nothing by just taking my time and eventually tracked down the break in the hose, likely to someone overtightening a clamp. Trimmed the hose and motoring on. Knowledge is key with these motors.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:46 am 
LOST Member

mr.jerryfluffy

Vacuum lines are on my to do list. I understand there are two sizes. Can you tell me which one you bought or the link, Thank

1993 C3500 Chevy 6.5 Turbo Diesel
1984 C7500 Chevy Flat Bed 366 gas
1987 R25 Chevy 350 gas

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:31 pm 

synthetic-oil wrote:
mr.jerryfluffy
Vacuum lines are on my to do list. I understand there are two sizes. Can you tell me which one you bought or the link, Thank

FYI: These are the hose sizes as shown on the drawing below: :wink:
I strongly recommend adding the second dedicated vacuum hose for the HVAC vacuum supply as shown in the drawing.
That way the turbo controls has its own supply not affected by HVAC operations in the dash.
The OEM design has only one hose for both HVAC & Turbo Boost Control.

A good place to order/purchase silicon vacuum hoses and boost hoses and fittings is:> Flex Technologies Incorporated (https://www.siliconehose.com/)

If you need more info, please let me know.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch