It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Factory Towing Package??
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:39 pm 
LOST Addict

jagster936 wrote:
No I am not sure. It is a real Chrysler hitch though. That’s why this is all so confusing. The plug that is plugged into mysterious box behind bumper comes from wires from the taillight so has to be it.

Remember too there was a recall on these jeeps because of rear end collision fires that basically entailer adding a bumper hitch if it didn't have one to protect the fuel tank. Whether that was the same as original hitch or not I dont know(mine all had hitches on them and I was told if brought in they would INSPECT it and add hitch if not there already so I didn't take mine in.)

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:39 pm 
LOST Member

TKB4 wrote:
To your earlier question about sirius xm radio. Many of the at least 2006 Jeep CRD when bought new had a lifetime free subscription to virus XM service and of course they came with the antenna and other electronics needed. My 2 radios eventually malfunctioned. I am not sure if I bought another radio if I could get the free service or not since it may have been tied to an electronic id etc. I can still get something on another CRD. The ones equipped with satellite receivers etc have a small black antenna mounted on the middle of the roof above back window.

Yea mine didn’t have lifetime but everything still functions fine. 3 years for 99 I’m happy. Apparently only on inactive radios for 5 years or pre 2009 maybe? So I read on Reddit.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:42 pm 
LOST Member

TKB4 wrote:
jagster936 wrote:
No I am not sure. It is a real Chrysler hitch though. That’s why this is all so confusing. The plug that is plugged into mysterious box behind bumper comes from wires from the taillight so has to be it.

The box you are referring to is likely a conversion kit that attaches to wiring going to the taillights that provides the input for a 4 way flat connector for taillights brake lights blinkers and running lights NOT a brake controller.
As I think you linked to E trailer does sell one or 2 that will work. At least one installs by simply removing a connector to driver tailight and plugging it into the adapter and plugging adapter into where that original plug went. I believe there was another single wire to connect also. ? to a wire on passenger side. I believe they also have a kit without the convenient plug.

I believe ALL CRD s that came with a factory tow package have a square box for the 7 pin connection about a foot left of the receiver hitch.,

Oh man. Crazy Jeep. So that box I thought was it was the TPMS receiver. I looked up part number once could read it. I have no magical 7 pin connector and I have looked everywhere. The other clean option is Oreily / Hopkins makes a pass through harness that takes the factor plug behind the right plastic panel on passenger side and steals the signals there to create a 4 pin connection for trailers without brakes. This is what I’ll do! The 7 pin doesn’t exist but I don’t know history either.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:40 pm 
LOST Member

Satellite been working mostly ok. Now this is super strange. Sometimes it has static. I cycle the key and maybe alarm lock unlock and it’s gone. Does once every 5-10 key cycles. Just did it sitting still in parking lot. Turned off and back on. Same. Turned off. Armed. Unlock. Start. Perfect audio. From an electrical perspective that’s really strange.

The other day I went to FM. Then back to sat. It acted freezy like it used to do. Then my ac happened to stop working. Bad ground? Also volume from steering wheel quit or went nuts like previously on sat only with no subscription.

Got home. Cycled power to key. AC perfect. Sat back on. Steering wheel volume worked again. Lol.

These jeeps truly have unexplained gremlins. And I’m an electrical engineer.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:19 pm 

Modern vehicles are full of electronics. The Jeep CRD is mild and a small precursor compared to some of what is out there now and what they are selling or NOT selling due to chip shortages. As you well know as an electrical engineer, an amp meter and a good multi tester along with a very detailed wiring diagram can provide you with a multitude of information.
Of course now days, some very good mechanics are also adding oscilloscopes to their arsenal and using them to help identify electrical malfunctions that you cannot see otherwise with ordinary multimeters or test equipment.

Times, they are a changing.... :banghead: :dizzy:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:15 pm 
LOST Member

It’s hard to troubleshoot when there are poor or inaccurate schematics though! And the strangeness fact remains.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:17 pm 
LOST Member

And I’m glad the Jeep is relatively simple for sure :). It’s a dinosaur compared to modern stuff. Fine by me.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:42 am 
LOST Junkie

You can buy very inexpensive one or two channel scopes with a built in display on Amazon for $100. They are perfect for automotive work. I use mine frequently.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:55 pm 

Worked on a strange (non-Jeep) one yesterday; fuel gauge not working, and right turn signal indicator not working yet outside lights were blinking just fine. No other issues!
After some testing, narrowed it down to a single multiwire connector that must not have been properly seated or had bad contacts.
Unplugged the connector to test for the incoming signals which both were good.
Cleaned all the connectors with contact cleaner and then plugged the connector back together real good, and voilà, everything went back to working properly. :BANANA:
Loose or bad connections and electricity can cause some really strange things...... :banghead:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:30 pm 
LOST Member

Yea those scopes can be handy on these cars! Why I have a mixture of super old and semi old vehicles. My 12V dodge is refreshingly simple can literally run without any battery power. I love that thing

Hahha! Connectors can be fun ones! What will get you good and even got me a couple times is when you measure a voltage to be 12V. Then as soon as you put a load on it it drops to zero or near zero due to a high resistance connection somewhere. Lessons learned measure voltage with load present. Ohms law :)

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f28/sir ... 048/?amp=1

That is the same issue. It did it again; a couple of key cycles and it returned and stayed strong for 2 hour drive. It NEVER changes during a key cycle. It doesn't like it when you switch between FM and SAT though and can get freezy. Crazy thing. Probably a head unit or tuner issue.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:36 am 
LOST Member

jagster936 wrote:
TKB4 wrote:
jagster936 wrote:

The box you are referring to is likely a conversion kit that attaches to wiring going to the taillights that provides the input for a 4 way flat connector for taillights brake lights blinkers and running lights NOT a brake controller.
As I think you linked to E trailer does sell one or 2 that will work. At least one installs by simply removing a connector to driver tailight and plugging it into the adapter and plugging adapter into where that original plug went. I believe there was another single wire to connect also. ? to a wire on passenger side. I believe they also have a kit without the convenient plug.

I believe ALL CRD s that came with a factory tow package have a square box for the 7 pin connection about a foot left of the receiver hitch.,

Oh man. Crazy Jeep. So that box I thought was it was the TPMS receiver. I looked up part number once could read it. I have no magical 7 pin connector and I have looked everywhere. The other clean option is Oreily / Hopkins makes a pass through harness that takes the factor plug behind the right plastic panel on passenger side and steals the signals there to create a 4 pin connection for trailers without brakes. This is what I’ll do! The 7 pin doesn’t exist but I don’t know history either.

Finally remembered to look at my jeep. It's an '05 with factory towing. The 7 pin recepticle is screwed to a bracket welded to the hitch crossmember located below the bumper, left of the hitch, and to the right of the tag. The flippy lid on the outlet has Chrysler #56038366AB and an explanation of which pin/blade connector does what. Left and right connections relate to left and right stop and turn lights. Top left is for running lights. Top right is "+". Bottom left is "--". Bottom right is for electric brakes. Center is for backup lights. The wiring harness is only for trailer wiring and runs to the passenger side behind the right rear tire and up through a rubber seal just below the mesh cubby in the cargo area. No square box and my jeep doesn't have TPMS.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:20 pm 

This is the wiring for the Jeep Liberty factory trailer tow connector.

Image]

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:04 pm 
LOST Member

Nice info! I had to add the split y connector thing from factory harness to the other special connector which then goes to normal trailer connector. If I recall correctly.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:21 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
The static on the Sirius tuner was a known issue, there was a TSB about it. It ended up that you could have the entire tuner replaced, which would be a problem if you have a lifetime unit but not in your name / you weren't the one that purchased it. They are really kinda pissy about transferring those lifetime units.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:31 pm 
LOST Member

I googled around for that tsb. Very hard to find. Would they still replace the unit or too old?

It works most of the time so not too worried about it.