It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1089 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 55  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hard to find noise -- clinking and clanking
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:22 am 
LOST Junkie

Had to do some other things today, so only got a couple hours to work on the beast. One thing that was waiting was to replace the gasket on the pan. Drained the oil & turned the engine on it's head -- engine stands are sooo nice. The pan gasket was easy and went together nicely. The bottom of the pan was only littered with glops of assembly lube -- no dirt or shavings or missing pieces.

This engine is tall so it's heavy to turn upright again. Glad I work in front of the house and have a walking trail along our street. Didn't have to wait long for some fella to walk past and enlist him. He looked like an accountant so he's probably never touched a oily pipe before.

Tomorrow I'll put the fan belt and pulleys on, as well as the turbo. After that, I'll start clearing a path to the Jeep to place the beast back in the engine compartment.

Dean.

Changed Turbo.
100,000-mile service.
Replaced harmonic balancer.
Noise in front axle or 3rd member - removed loose chain in transfer case.
Rebuilt engine - replaced #3 cylinder, piston, valves, head repair. Removed EGR.
Sheared bolts on TC. Replaced flex plate, TC, bolts.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:45 pm 
LOST Junkie

Nice!

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Provent @ 43,000 km
SEGR in progress
SAMCO Sport hoses @ 48500 km
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT225/75R16

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:19 pm 
LOST Junkie

Thanks WolverineFW !

Finished assembly of the engine today. Tomorrow I'll start putting it in the Jeep. Doesn't look like very much to do on the Jeep before repowering it. I'll lay all the Chrysler wiring harnesses out of the way and hose down the empty engine bay.

Have a doctor appointment at 10 AM; that should be a good time for a break.

I'm not expecting to finish the installation tomorrow. I'm proceeding slowly at idle forward -- that gives me time to think and hopefully catch any out-of-sequence mistakes.

Dean.

Changed Turbo.
100,000-mile service.
Rebuilt engine - replaced #3 cylinder, piston, valves, head repair. Removed EGR.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:25 pm 
LOST Junkie

You are an inspiration Dean!
When the weather improves here I plan on finally getting the engine out of my 07 then the fun begins.
We are all locked down here. I am in isolation till midnight Tuesday. Some one with delta walked past me over a week ago, we both had masks on and I am fully vaccinated but our health officials get all excited and lock down cities. So home detention for me. The fridge is nearly empty but I think with a little rationing I wont go thirsty till it ends. Not permitted to leave my property. I have 400ac so its not so bad. Can go on a 1/2 day walk without leaving the place. I would hate to be stuck in a high rise flat.
Stay safe mate!
LB

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:39 am 
LOST Junkie

layback40, glad you're locked down. Australia has done an excellent job of managing the virus - the US is full of idiots. Be safe.

Got the engine into the Jeep but it's just sitting on the mounts. The camera made the day look nice and bright but it's actually a little dark from overcast.

Tomorrow I'll straighten everything out and bolt it all together. I don't expect to turn the key tomorrow, but who knows...

Dean.

Changed Turbo.
100,000-mile service.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:13 pm 
LOST Member

Lookin' good Dean! Great to see the progress. Thanks for sharing! :D

Facet Fuel Pump, Secondary Fuel Filter
ARPs, 188 Degree Thermostat
GDE Eco Tune Full Torque
OME 1.5", JBA A-Arms and Top Plates
245/75/16s, Spidertrax

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:26 pm 
LOST Junkie

Thanks iajk11. I'm old now so progress is slower. 68 going on 85 when I lay on the ground under the beast.

Wrestled the engine into mating with the transmission today, and got some bolts in. Removed the engine mounts and lowered the engine to gain access to more bolts, but still not enough. Will have to lower the back of the transmission tomorrow to get access to the top bolts.

Dean.

Changed Turbo.
100,000-mile service.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:12 am 
LOST Junkie

CaptainDean wrote:
Thanks iajk11. I'm old now so progress is slower. 68 going on 85 when I lay on the ground under the beast.

Dean.

I hear you Dean!
I place a large corrigated plastic slipsheet under mine when I need to lay under it.
Easy to keep clean. Just leave it out in the rain.
I would never lay on concrete.
My shed is lined with old carpet on the floor. When it gets messy, just place another layer of carpet on it. There are about 6 layers of carpet there now. Easy to scrounge old carpet from building sites or carpet instalers.
My 07 is at the stage where I need to drop the rear of the trans to undo the top bell housing bolts. Been like that for a while. We are at the end of winter now so I will get to it soon.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:00 am 
LOST Junkie

Thanks layback40. I do use my creeper which helps A LOT. The Jeep is in front of the house and we live in a nice neighborhood so I have to keep appearances up.

Took the weekend off of the Jeep project, got back on it today (Mon).

Ran into a snag by finding that I allowed the transmission dip stick tube to get behind the engine while backing it into place. Bent the tube around toward the driver's side and had to re-bend it back. It didn't come perfectly back into shape but it's close -- however not close enough to get the dip stick tube upper bracket lined up with the bell housing bolt. In the end I chose to leave it loose and figure another way to secure it later.

Anyway, the engine is mechanically installed and secured by 3 mounts again. Started connecting the electrical connectors and got most of them connected. Will start again tomorrow.

Ended the day by letting the front of the Jeep down off the jack stands. :BANANA: Front tires are still full !! Going back through this string of messages, seems the Jeep has been on front jack stands since late April or early May 2019.

Dean.

Changed Turbo.
100,000-mile service.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:22 am 
LOST Junkie

Can any one tell me the size and thread of that grounding lug on the block near the starter & motor mount? It seems like a 6mm bolt with very course threads.

I have one on the 2006 engine with the nut, but it's larger diameter stud. Problem is the one on my 2005 engine will not come out -- the splined built-in nut on the end broke off before it turned the stud out.

Last resort is to use another threaded hole on the engine nearby this threaded stud.

Dean.

Changed Turbo.
100,000-mile service.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:15 am 
LOST Junkie

Never did find a nut for the grounding lug; scraped some paint off and used another threaded hole. Turns out the bolt head clears the starter motor by 1/16".

Went to a half-hour dentist appointment at 1 PM, then got COVID tested nearby. Finished at 3 PM.

Installed the starter and some cable clamps to support the wiring harness near the starter.
Installed the fuel filter and fuel lines. Learned that I should have connected the steel fuel line before installing the engine.
Installed the air conditioning hoses from the pump to the condenser tank and to the AC radiator. New o-rings all around.
Installed the coolant reservoir tank & hoses & tank level sensor connector. Bent the transmission dip stick tube out of the way.
Installed the power steering reservoir & hoses & high pressure line to the steering pump. (2 o-rings at the pump)

Dean.

Changed Turbo.
100,000-mile service.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:32 am 
LOST Junkie

Hi Dean,
I spent some time today trying to replace glowplug 3 in my 2006 that is my daily drive.
I hope you put new GP's in.
#4 is relativly easy to do in place. I replaced it a few weeks ago.
#3 is a bear. I managed to feel my way to get the conector off. Need to get a 1/4" drive long reach 10mm socket to undo it. Will need to use a universal to allow me to get it on properly.
Hope your assembly is still going well.
LB

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:32 pm 
LOST Junkie

Thanks layback40,

I did put 'good' glow plugs in, but I don't need them in the tropics. It never gets below 60F/16C in the low lands of Hawaii. (Sorry to rub it in)

Even getting access to the #3 glow plug, I found it cannot back out far enough with the intake connected to the head cover. I've tossed around the idea of drilling a through-hole in the intake just to enable removing #3 glow plug. A removable seal would not be difficult to construct. Maybe even cutting it off and putting it back with a rubber hose & hose clamps.

Dean.

Changed Turbo.
100,000-mile service.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:12 pm 
LOST Junkie

CaptainDean wrote:
Thanks layback40,

I did put 'good' glow plugs in, but I don't need them in the tropics. It never gets below 60F/16C in the low lands of Hawaii. (Sorry to rub it in)

Even getting access to the #3 glow plug, I found it cannot back out far enough with the intake connected to the head cover. I've tossed around the idea of drilling a through-hole in the intake just to enable removing #3 glow plug. A removable seal would not be difficult to construct. Maybe even cutting it off and putting it back with a rubber hose & hose clamps.

Dean.

Thanks Dean for the heads up. Its the start of spring ere so temperatures are better.
Both 3 & 4 GP's were dead.
Starts now 4 is replaced.
Just a long crank.
I will just keep a can of starter fluid with me for any time it doesnt want to start.
Maybe some one else will comment if there is a way to replace #3 GP without removing the camifold.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:19 pm 
LOST Junkie

Being serious about the #3 glow plug, I think the best method would be to remove the intake elbow from the intake of the head cover. Replace the #3 glow plug. Replace the bolts for the intake elbow with studs and reassemble.

It will still be a PITA but less of one by fitting nuts instead of trying to start screws.

Dean.

Changed Turbo.
100,000-mile service.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:54 pm 
LOST Junkie

The beast is back together again, even the grill is on. HOWEVER...

I did make one tiny but huge mistake, I forgot to install the plug atop the oil pressure relief valve.

Everything shown here is installed; what's not shown is the Allen head plug that pushes the whole mess down against the spring. I'm sure it's sitting in the "all flow to bypass" position so I'm not even going to attempt to start it until I fix this.

It is located against the upper sealing surface of the oil pan where I can Dremel a section out to gain access. I'll have to do a good job of sealing this incision to prevent any oil leaks.

The sealing surface of the oil pan is wider at this point, so carving out an access hole will (maybe) not be a problem.

Has anyone attempted this before? If someone is having low oil pressure, this could be a fix for them.

Dean.

Changed Turbo.
100,000-mile service.

Last edited by CaptainDean on Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:14 pm 
LOST Junkie

it's alive. It's Alive ! IT'S A-LIIIIVVE !!!!

Only ran it long enough at idle to turn the beast around. But it sounds good. Still have to carve a spot out of the oil pan mating surface to gain access to the oil relief valve.

Cleaned out the carport workshop and converted it back into a carport. All the stuff is in the back of my Ford Ranger, but now both vehicles fit under the same carport. Finally back to a civilized front yard again.

I'll be AFK (Away From Keyboard) to make a short trip to California: Sacramento, Sunnyvale, Stockton, Citrus Heights.

Talk with you all soon.

Dean.

Changed Turbo.
100,000-mile service.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:50 pm 
LOST Addict

Congratulations Dean!!! Glad to hear the old beast is running again. It’s like it’s been stuck in covid time warp for 2 years like the rest of us humans. Way to persevere. I have no doubt you’ll get the final odds and ends sorted out and you’ll be on the road with it soon.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:42 pm 
LOST Junkie

Thanks ifhoward,
Got a chance to review LOSTJeeps while waiting for my return flight to Kona. I’ll be back under the beast tomorrow.
Dean

Changed Turbo.
100,000-mile service.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:41 am 
LOST Junkie

CaptainDean wrote:
Being serious about the #3 glow plug, I think the best method would be to remove the intake elbow from the intake of the head cover. Replace the #3 glow plug. Replace the bolts for the intake elbow with studs and reassemble.

It will still be a PITA but less of one by fitting nuts instead of trying to start screws.

Dean.

Got motivated and got it all done.
The 2 inner elbow bolts are best accessed from underneath the jeep. About 2' of 1/4" drive socket extension. Wrap the head of the bolt in tissue paper so it stays in the socket until its tight. Works a treat.
I placed a tin plate under the pipe from the exhaust into the heat exchanger to seal it off. Shaped another piece over the fitting on the elbow and clamped it with the clamp & sealed with RTV. just left the pipe free of the fitting. Butterfly disk removed. Started & runs ok. No codes. Hope my McGyver EGR disable continues to work.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1089 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 55  Next