It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ignition Switch problem?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:06 pm 
LOST Member

So I am looking for some thoughts about what might be going on here:

My wife drove one of our CRDs to the school and parked it, all was fine. When she went back to start it again, she must have hit panic or something cause the alarm went off, she kept hitting remote buttons until it stopped. But then the car would not start. Key goes in, turns on and the lites do their thing, but when you try to turn it to start it doesn't quite go far enough and the starter doesn't come on. She walked back and got me. This is what I've tried:

Tried our second key, same thing doesn't want to go all the way to start. I tried remote start (which this CRD has), it worked once, engine started and ran for a few secs but then died. When I try the remote start again it beeps the horn with the button but does not go thru the start sequence anymore. But at least for that first remote start, the starter worked and the engine ran just fine for a few secs.

So I am wondering what's up here. My first thought is the ignition switch, either the switch itself or perhaps the linkage to the switch is broken and not moving all the way. Not sure why the remote start isn't working after that first try. I suppose both keys might have lost their RFID key programming, but that seems unlikely, and even if they did, the engine should start then die after a couple of secs when the RFID isn't recognized.

When I compare the "feel" of this not-starting ignition switch to the one that starts, they seem the same up thru the run position. But the non-starting one only turns about 1/2 as far towards start as the working one which does start.

Any of this sound familiar to folks here? What do folks think? And any way to get this jeep started so I can drive it home without a tow?

TIA

Post subject: Re: Ignition Switch problem?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:37 pm 

This is probably what you need, they are known for going bad (breaking).
You can search LOST for instructions on how to replace it. I believe it is quite easy to replace.
Ignition Switch Actuator Pin 924-704

Autozone:
Ignition Actuator; #295435 924-
https://www.autozone.com/batteries-star ... 295435_0_0

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:43 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks WW.

Yeah, have been searching youtube vids, and pretty much came to the same conclusion. Probably this intermediate part and possibly also the electric switch unit itself.

Only question is if I took the cowling off the steering column, and took the switch unit off (which looks like it is just on security torx screw) could I then start the jeep and drive it home. I think that would work (as long as it isn't the switch which is broken too). Seems like it would be worth a try to avoid a tow.

Any thought on whether its worth going with genuine jeep parts on this, or are the aftermarket ones OK?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:53 am 

Steve777 wrote:
Thanks WW.
Yeah, have been searching youtube vids, and pretty much came to the same conclusion. Probably this intermediate part and possibly also the electric switch unit itself.
Only question is if I took the cowling off the steering column, and took the switch unit off (which looks like it is just on security torx screw) could I then start the jeep and drive it home. I think that would work (as long as it isn't the switch which is broken too). Seems like it would be worth a try to avoid a tow.
Any thought on whether its worth going with genuine jeep parts on this, or are the aftermarket ones OK?

I believe some have posted removing the cover and manually operating the switch to start the engine.
Of course if you can get the ign switch to turn to the "ON/run" position, you could pull the starter relay in the power distribution panel under the hood and jump the starter and make it start. See drawing.
I would just go aftermarket like the AutoZone part.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:37 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks again WW. And you are absolutely right, jumping it from the starter relay was way easier than taking apart the steering column on the side of the road to get to the ignition switch (although would have done that if needed).

Did your relay trick this morning, took a minute to get it running and drove home.

That was the easy part, now to dig into the real problem...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:54 pm 

Steve777 wrote:
Thanks again WW. And you are absolutely right, jumping it from the starter relay was way easier than taking apart the steering column on the side of the road to get to the ignition switch (although would have done that if needed).
Did your relay trick this morning, took a minute to get it running and drove home. :BANANA:
That was the easy part, now to dig into the real problem...

:POPCORN:
Watch these, a few good videos that will guide you through replacing the ign switch actuator:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwbEmSC ... oRepairLLC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5mo3OA ... botchicken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpjnAS_ ... ISBUILDSvw

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:19 pm 
LOST Member

Forgot to update the conclusion here. Got a part off Ebay and put it in, working fine now.

FWIW, the part I got (roughly $10 on ebay) works, but the key is a bit stiff going in the final 1/8" or so. I'm hoping this will wear in. But a word of caution, may be worth getting a slightly higher quality clone of the part for smooth operation.