It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Headlights will not stay on/turn on and off
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have a 2005 Liberty and the low-beam headlights will suddenly turn off (mostly noticed when driving, have not tried letting it run and not moving to see if it does it). When this happens, I flick on high-beams so can see, but then - after a random time - they will come back on again. Every time I've tried to show it to someone to repair (of course) they work fine. I read another post that suggested possibly a bad headlight switch in the steering column- anyone else have this problem and/or suggestions? thanks

Post subject: Re: Headlights will not stay on/turn on and off
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:19 pm 

Certainly could be the mulit-function switch, but it could also be a bad low beam headlight relay.
The high and low beam headlight relays are controlled by the multi-function switch through the Body Control Module.

The low beam relay is located in the junction box fuse panel on the left side of the dash.
I would swap out the high beam headlight relay with the low beam headlight relay and see if that fixes your problem before changing out the multi-function switch.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:49 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ok, so I switched out the 2 relays today after driving last night and - again - running along the road and suddenly the headlights go off. I don't remember if they were still not working when I got home and if I just kept on the fog lights/high-beam, but changing the relays now did not fix it. in fact, right now, the headlamps are not on when I turn the headlights on at the steering wheel switch (regardless of the relay swap/with the swap), which, presumably, means the multi-function switch is the problem (as the high beams work fine)? addtl thoughts appreciated. thanks

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:53 pm 

jbkuppe wrote:
Ok, so I switched out the 2 relays today after driving last night and - again - running along the road and suddenly the headlights go off. I don't remember if they were still not working when I got home and if I just kept on the fog lights/high-beam, but changing the relays now did not fix it. in fact, right now, the headlamps are not on when I turn the headlights on at the steering wheel switch (regardless of the relay swap/with the swap), which, presumably, means the multi-function switch is the problem (as the high beams work fine)? addtl thoughts appreciated. thanks

If you look at the FSM (factory service manual), you will see that most of the major lights on the Jeep CRD are controlled through the Body Control Module.
Index of /manuals/Jeep/KJ
2005JeepKJServiceManual.pdf

The multi-function switch simply tells the body control module what light to activate.
You can test the low beam headlight circuit by simply removing the low beam relay from the fuse panel and jumper pins 87 to 30, doing this should make the low beam headlights come on regardless of what position you have the stalk switch in. (See relay drawing below)
If they do not come on when doing this test, then the problem is in the wiring between the relay and the headlamps.
If they come on OK, then your problem is in the multi-function stalk switch or the wiring to / from the multi-function switch or worse yet, the Body Control Module.
:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount