It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Worth rebuilding the stock Turbo?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Anyone had their stock Garrett turbo rebuilt? Any recommendations on rebuilders?

Post subject: Re: Worth rebuilding the stock Turbo?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:57 pm 
LOST Member

I just went though this. It depends on what is wrong. These turbo's where used by VW and Audi. There are basically a disposable turbo. I spent days researching these critters. I went to a Garret turbo parts supplier and nothing is available if you need hard parts. If you are wanting to rebuild because of a leak or anything that didn't cause it failed the rebuild kit is CARDONE 2N-3003SKT, Rockauto has them for 134 bucks. The unsion ring can be found here:https://kbdieselperformance.com/other/Turbo-Vanes-&-Unison-Ring-Nozzle-Kit-for-Jeep-Liberty-2-8l-CRD-2005-06-p318818055. I would be replace the ring as it gets a work out. I have seen some where the vanes have become dislodge which means excessive wear. Here is a link on rebuilding this turbo:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rT6f744T58&t=1030s.

Mt turbo had two problems. 1) the oil issue on the intake side. I bought a Provent to take care of this. I also bought a silicon intake house from kbdieselperformance.com. 2) I know what happen but unsure of the why. The lever that controls the vanes was pretty much locked up. Once the turbo was off it took a lot of force to move it. There wasn't anyone thing that caused this failure. There is a history behind it and depending on you interpretation of the facts you can come up with multiple causes. This is the second turbo on this Jeep. The original was replaced at the dealer foe some reason.

I chose to buy a new Rotomaster A1200125N from Rockauto for 500 bucks. You can also just buy the center cartilage from Rotomaster.

1993 C3500 Chevy 6.5 Turbo Diesel
1984 C7500 Chevy Flat Bed 366 gas
1987 R25 Chevy 350 gas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:35 pm 

bugnout wrote:
Anyone had their stock Garrett turbo rebuilt? Any recommendations on rebuilders?

Garrett states their turbo for this engine is NOT rebuildable; OEM replacement parts are not available according to posters on this forum.

Unfortunately, both suppliers below says "Out of Stock", on their Web Sites. :cry: :banghead:

cevans (IDPARTS.com) wrote:
Big no on the turbo rebuild kits. We have worked with Garrett for many years and Garrett specifically forbids rebuilding of VNT turbochargers - if a Garrett authorized repair center repairs a VNT turbo they may lose their license. The failure rate is through the roof. Thus, the "rebuild kits" are aftermarket, non-Garrett products and I frankly don't have enough confidence in them to use them myself, so I wouldn't be comfortable recommending to someone.
IDParts lists a NEW Garrett Turbo for this engine on their web site:> https://www.idparts.com/garrett-turboch ... -2823.html

Sasquatchparts.com wrote:
About half the price of a new OEM Garrett!
He lists the following specs on his replacement turbo:
All parts are brand new, we have the turbos made to our specs.
Sasquatch Parts Upgraded Replacement Turbocharger for Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD
    - Upgraded to a larger center shaft with 360° thrust bearing, which distributes and supports the complete thrust load placed on the shaft, whereas the OE turbo 270° thrust bearing covers only a portion of the shaft.
    - Modified center section to prevent oil coking issues with the OE turbo.
    - Added a CNC billet compressor wheel, which offers increased airflow at a given boost pressure, resulting in faster turbo spool, lower EGTs, and provides superior surge resistance compared to the OE cast wheel.
    - 1-year manufacturer’s warranty

From a previous LOSTJeeps post on turbo replacement:
viewtopic.php?p=902643#p902643

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:31 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks, that was the info I was looking for. That is a pretty definite answer. I replaced the stock Turbo with the Sasquatch improved version last fall and its running great. As far as I can tell, my original turbo just had the seals go bad and I thought it might be worth rebuilding. It will make a nice paperwieght.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:12 pm 

You might try reaching out to Joe Kirian at: Blackbird Innovations and see what his advice is on these turbos.
I believe he has worked on a few of them. He may be able to salvage yours???
Web page:> https://blackbirdinnovations.com/
Facebook page:> https://www.facebook.com/Blackbird-Inno ... 086600275/
:POPCORN:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 10:14 am 
LOST Junkie

I'm here,

The factory turbos are ABSOLUTELY rebuildable. Garrett says they aren't because they aren't rebuilders, they manufacture new and that's it.

Every part is available, don't let anyone tell you it's not. Also, the sasquatch turbo is not an upgrade in any way. It's a Chinese turbo with a shiny wheel, my upgrades have replaced several that have had issues.

Ask sasquatch or idparts if they'll rebuild the turbo they sell. They won't, they'll just sell you a new one, that should tell you all you need to know about them.

05 Liberty Limited CRD, converted to KPA 2863 ball bearing and billet turbo, 50hp injectorsl, complete egr delete, cooling fan delete, weeks intake kit, cummins in tank lift pump, ARP studs, 3" turbo back exhaust, samcos, etecno plugs, GDE trans tune, custom GDE engine tune.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 11:00 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Lets not bash on IDparts OR Squatch, they stay in their lane which isn't service.... It's selling parts. Now Squatch is selling a Chinesium turbo, where IDparts is only selling the genuine article.

I have full confidence in Joe's rebuilds and customizations though. I've been working with one for over a year now in my own CRD, where it spends most of its days TOWING and whizzing along happily. If it was a crap build, it would have eaten itself long ago. He knows what he's doing.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 12:49 pm 
LOST Newbie

I haven't tried working on a CRD rebuild but have done a rebuild on an old Mercedes diesel turbo.
Rebuild kits are cheap, however, I found it an awful, filthy, very time consuming job. All the scrubbing, picking, thread chasing, dozens of cans of brake cleaner. IMHO its well worth just exchanging.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 8:26 pm 
LOST Junkie

recently I got turno from Sasquatch just as a spare. I noticed when they rebuild these turbos they're not too picky the actuator bracket was slightly bent and wasn't damaged from shipping it was just like that. so looking at the rod and diaphragm it looks crooked so I don't know if in the future it will work correctly but it is what it is

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 8:28 pm 
LOST Junkie

recently I got turbo from Sasquatch just as a spare. I noticed when they rebuild this turbo they're not too picky the actuator bracket was slightly bent and wasn't damaged from shipping it was just like that. so looking at the rod and diaphragm it looks crooked so I don't know if in the future it will work correctly but it is what it is

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 1:59 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
rankom wrote:
recently I got turbo from Sasquatch just as a spare. I noticed when they rebuild this turbo they're not too picky the actuator bracket was slightly bent and wasn't damaged from shipping it was just like that. so looking at the rod and diaphragm it looks crooked so I don't know if in the future it will work correctly but it is what it is

It's not a "rebuild" from Sasquatch, it is a $200 Chinese knockoff that they are selling for $600. It's probably damaged at the factory in China.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.