It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Air in fuel "TEST"
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:19 am 
LOST Addict

I have mentioned this on a post and its mainly common sense but I didn't think of trying it at first so maybe it can save others time trouble and money. Posting as new topic to make it more easily searchable.

Engine not starting or not running smooth or dying etc especially if you checked codes and are none with charged good battery. !. Remove engine side of fuel line from filter head.
2.Pour diesel slowly into the line till full. ( might shake a little to get any bubbles out.
3. Crank the engine. It should start and run normally after a few seconds if air in fuel is the problem.

You can continue pouring fuel in to run longer but really doesn't accomplish much.

Drawback: You can introduce dirt to the pump. I use clean and dry glass beaker or jar and pour in fuel that I have let set an hour or so to make sure no water only if it appears clear and clean. You could get filtered fuel from the filter head by pumping also.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

Post subject: Re: Air in fuel "TEST"
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have a thread trying to diagnose my issue.
What is the cause of air in fuel and what is the solution?
I plan on trying this method tomorrow afternoon as I am running out of ideas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:44 pm 
LOST Member

The factory fittings that connect the fuel lines to the tank are often the culprit. They seem to leak under negative pressure, but hold well when pressurized by an in-tank fuel pump.

I removed my factory lines and replaced them with regular hoses and spring clamps, as have many others, search this forum for more details.

Another perfectly good, but more involved fix is to add an in-tank fuel pump. This allows you to keep the factory fuel lines. See video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLIQeemtQE0

See also:

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=87569

2005 Liberty Limited CRD; Air Filter Monitor; Samco Hoses; GDE HOT Tune; RL037142AA TC; KJ Interior Rack from All J Products; JBA Adjust-a-strut lift and A-Arms; 245/75R16 Firestone Destination ATs on Moabs; ARB Bumper; ASFIR Skids; FS-2500 Bypass Filter; ARP studs.
2016 Grand Cherokee Overland CRD.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks, I may have to try that. Was hoping to get a 100% diagnosis before putting more time and money into it