It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:18 am 
LOST Addict

Jeepjeepster wrote:
The air box in the crd cannot be the same as the 3.7 b/c my intake comes in the bottom of the box which would never let water get to the filter. If i stood there and poured water in the intake with a water hose it wouldnt fill up. There are holes in the bottom of the box that lets the water go out. Sounds to me like all you need to do is make the holes bigger? Dont know why this is getting so complicated for such a small issue. It doesnt take an engineer to figure this out. Maybe it has something to do with the crd pulling so much air it sucks all of the mist up into it?

From what I've seen it's the exact same intake (with the exception of the lid). It's not an isssue of drainage but an issue of draft. The diesel draws over twice the air volume than the 3.7L (according the DC tech rep). Twice the volume will produce twice the intake velocity. When pulled through a tight opening through the front grill as with the Liberty it will create a significant vaccume. Most likely enough velocity to draw rain and road spray directly into the filter element which is less than 12 inches from the grill face. The first clue I had this happening was I literally had road salt in the filter element (coated & w/rocks) and the inside of the airbox was lined with salt. More recently found the filter element completely saturated after driving in the rain.

Getting an intake constriction is a serious problem on a turbocharged engine, especially a diesel. Have seen this on some larger diesel vehicles with pneumatic systems sharing a common airfilter box for both the engine and the air compressor head. The draw of the turbo is so strong that it starves the air compressor head for fresh air. When this happens it literally pulls crancase oil past the compressor rings, contaminating the pneumatic system with oil. I believe there is a similiar problem with the CRD but involving the turbo seals and the CCV. A minor and temporary constriction caused by a damp filter would be sufficient to pull oil through the turbo seals into the CAC and create sufficient crancase vaccume (through the CCV) to pull additional oil through an unfiltered CCV. When I witnessed my first incident, it pulled atleast 1 qt of oil through the turbo seals in @ 2 tanks of fuel (800 miles). It also pulled hard enough through the Provent to clean-out the accumulated sludge from the dirty CCV line, depositing it in a wad of sludge in the top of the Provent can.

The solution is to allow expansion room or create a baffle to reduce aiflow velocity so moisture has a chance to drop out before it gets to the filter element. The modification I did to mine opens both the diameter of the intake hole in the airbox and the intake tube along with adding a baffle. The larger diameter intake tube also allows for some leakage so a small amout of intake air is drawn from behind the headlight where it is dry. Have been running this in heavy rain for three days, thus far it appears to be working.

And you are correct, it shouldn't be this complicated. It's something a DC engineer should have known and corrected long before mine was ever built.

Thankful to now be an EX-CRD owner.

Post subject: Airbox
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:17 am 
LOST Newbie

OldNavy the airbox on the 3.7 gasser may be about the same size but its intake is very different it is directed up to the hood above the grill essentially to create a ram air induction effect and it also should allow fording in water almost to the top of the grill. I was surprised when I got my CRD yesterday that the Airbox intake was so different I was expecting a similar set up but with a larger intake. It looks to me that the engineer with the least off-road experience was assigned to the airbox design and development for the CRD.

Post subject: re: Airbox
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:45 am 
LOST Newbie

I guess I should have read page 2 before posting :oops: but trust me the intakes are different I have a 3.7 and a CRD sitting in my driveway and I have directly compared the two the big advantage for the 3.7 is that the intake is much higher off the road then the CRD by 6 inches or so that by itself would keep a lot of water and stuff out of the box in the first place also it could be my imagination but the 3.7 airbox itself seems to be a little larger but the actual intake seems to be smaller.

Post subject: Re: re: Airbox
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:44 am 
LOST Addict

jeepusa wrote:
I guess I should have read page 2 before posting :oops: but trust me the intakes are different I have a 3.7 and a CRD sitting in my driveway and I have directly compared the two the big advantage for the 3.7 is that the intake is much higher off the road then the CRD by 6 inches or so that by itself would keep a lot of water and stuff out of the box in the first place also it could be my imagination but the 3.7 airbox itself seems to be a little larger but the actual intake seems to be smaller.
They use the air filter so the box is pretty much the same size. Our CRD came through a 3" down pour yesterday on the highway and filter is dry this morning. Maybe the bug screen helps with that also.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:11 am 
LOST Addict

RFCRD, I think you just provided an answer for me. Noticed the same thing with my Provent for the first 3000 miles or so, a bunch of nasty looking sludge accumulating in the top of it. Then later on it completely stopped. I think the answer is that I pulled off the air inlet tube and changed the filter.

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:24 am 
LOST Newbie

Can someone post a picture of the air filter box please, apparently my CRD don't have the same air box that most of you guys have. I need a picture to compare with my air box.

I would like to see a picture of the compleat assembly (assembled)

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:28 am 
LOST Addict

retmil46 wrote:
RFCRD, I think you just provided an answer for me. Noticed the same thing with my Provent for the first 3000 miles or so, a bunch of nasty looking sludge accumulating in the top of it. Then later on it completely stopped. I think the answer is that I pulled off the air inlet tube and changed the filter.

Convinced this whole oily mess is all interrelated. BTW, that wad of sludge dissolved and went into the filter after a few days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:31 pm 
LOST Addict

RFCRD wrote:
retmil46 wrote:

Convinced this whole oily mess is all interrelated. BTW, that wad of sludge dissolved and went into the filter after a few days.

Same here, surprised the heck out of me, it just went away.

Come to the same conclusion, Provent/CCV filter is only part of the answer, will just mask the symptoms of a marginal air intake.

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler

Post subject: Pics for HotChiliRam
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:23 pm 
LOST Newbie

Here is the CRD Air Box you can see the intake coming in from behind the headlight

Here is the 3.7 airbox with the air intake coming in from above the radiator

2002 Liberty Limited 3.7
1989 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
Affiliation: Mid-Atlantic
L.O.S.T. #074571

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:12 pm 
LOST Addict

Funny thing is they used the 3.7L airbox just because it would fit and and would save big $$$$$$ not having a new and bigger box designed and shoe horned in some where under the hood. The sad thing is the VW TDI (99 to 03) air filter is at least 50% larger in area then the CRD filter and it is a full liter smaller then the CRD in our Jeep.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject: Re: Pics for HotChiliRam
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:13 pm 
LOST Newbie

jeepusa wrote:
Here is the CRD Air Box you can see the intake coming in from behind the headlight

Here is the 3.7 airbox with the air intake coming in from above the radiator

The Airbox of my CRD is exactly like the second one from the pictures. So, I have the same airbox from the 3.7L. Kinda strange being a CRD. Maybe for Export the guys at DCX install a different airbox.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:51 pm 
LOST Newbie

Quote:
HotChiliRam wrote:
The Airbox of my CRD is exactly like the second one from the pictures. So, I have the same airbox from the 3.7L. Kinda strange being a CRD. Maybe for Export the guys at DCX install a different airbox.

I was looking at the year of your CRD if it was the first year that CRDs were produced they could have just used the 3.7 airbox but it could also be the export thing like you said. Looking at the 3.7 the intake seems to be about the same size as the late model CRDs intake with out pulling to hose of the CRD and doing a direct comparison which I may do that this weekend if the weather is ok and I may just see if the old 3.7 airbox is a direct fit into the new CRD if the intake sizes are the same.[/quote]

2002 Liberty Limited 3.7
1989 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
Affiliation: Mid-Atlantic
L.O.S.T. #074571

Post subject: Airbox modification PIC's
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:37 pm 
LOST Addict

Thanks to Oldnavy, photos of what I did are available on his Jeep stuff page.

4" Rubber boot intake hose to replace the factory accordian pipe.

4" street 90 that has been cut-away to cup/channel water into the ramped side of the box. I used PVC (schd 40) because it is flexible but black ABS would also work fine. A small section of the flange scrap was saved to be glued on as stop blocks. I first tried this without drilling, caused too much airflow constriction.

Rubber boot knotched to fit around washer fluid bottle neck

Cut-off and reuse end of factory accordian pipe. This fits inside the rubber boot and fills the gap where the rubber boot doesn't reach the back of the grill.

Finished part installed in the airbox. Held in place with a 4"x1/4 stainless steel cariage bolt, washers & nut. The factory hole must be enlarged to fit the 4" pipe (trace around and cut with sabre saw). Must be careful not to overtighten as it will distort the shape of the box.

Last edited by RFCRD on Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:54 pm 
LOST Addict

RFCRD you could right click on each picture on my web then click on properties, then highlight the URL, the right click on the highlighted URL and then copy the URL, then go to the page here and click on the Img block above then paste in behind [img] then click on Img again in the post and then do a write up on the pictures.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject: Update
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:09 am 
LOST Addict

Definately got lucky with the weather and have been able to run this modification through several very heavy rainstorms. It is still sucking substantial amounts of water into the airbox but remaining below the baffle and the filter is staying dry. More importantly, it appears the turbo is no longer passing oil which is a good sign this is working.

Post subject: RFCRD air box mod for rain
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:28 pm 
LOST Member

Just curious, why didn't you just enlarge the drain holes to maybe 1/2 inch so that the air box could drain faster?
Is there a problem with that solution?

ETA: I noticed the splashed water stains in my air box after a heavy monsoon rain down here in the desert.

Post subject: Re: RFCRD air box mod for rain
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:50 pm 
LOST Addict

GilaMonster wrote:
Just curious, why didn't you just enlarge the drain holes to maybe 1/2 inch so that the air box could drain faster?
Is there a problem with that solution?

ETA: I noticed the splashed water stains in my air box after a heavy monsoon rain down here in the desert.

This is not a drainage issue but a suction issue. The airflow stream is saturated with water which drafts straight into the filter element. Rain water doesn't have a chance to drain because it's airborne. This modification provides a physical barrier to separate water from this air. If you live in a dry climate it will be difficult to catch this happening. I drive this vehicle on a lot of wet expressways and stumbled onto this problem by chance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:04 am 
LOST Newbie

Shouldn't be easier to just replace the CRD box for the 3.7 Box?, I ask because keeping the CRD box you still have the hose that's sucking air from behind the radiator, and with the 3.7 box you raise the air induction to over the radiator and the hood will keep water out of the filter.
Like I said above, I have the 3.7 box in my CRD and if I have it why couldn't you just replace it, it should be a direct replacement I think.
Just my 2cents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:13 am 
LOST Addict

HotChiliRam wrote:
Shouldn't be easier to just replace the CRD box for the 3.7 Box?, I ask because keeping the CRD box you still have the hose that's sucking air from behind the radiator, and with the 3.7 box you raise the air induction to over the radiator and the hood will keep water out of the filter.
Like I said above, I have the 3.7 box in my CRD and if I have it why couldn't you just replace it, it should be a direct replacement I think.
Just my 2cents.

Not sure why their engineers chose to use a different inlet pipe on the CRD. I do know the CRD needs over double the amount of air. Volume/flow capacity may have something to do with their choice. As far as sucking from behind the radiator that's not exactly the case with the CRD. The stack of stuff (radiator, CAC, and fan shroud) extends back almost to the front of the airbox on the CRD. The inlet hose is run up next to this to the backside of the grill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:30 am 
LOST Junkie

The piping change seems like alot of ethnic engineering for a problem that does not exist (at least with mine). We have had an extremely wet spring/summer here in New England and I have driven through rain storms that seemed like a fire hose directed at the car. In addition, we have had a long spell of hot/humid weather as well.

I have checked my air filter after driving and/or waited till the engine cooled to see if water was condensing in the box. I have never found either a wet filter, or moisture condensing on the inside of the box.

I can't account for the fact that wet filters have been reported by some. In fact, I find it ridiculous that anyone would believe the "bathtub ring" description of water penetration into the filter. If water level got that high on the filter, it would run out of the box into the engine and simply shut the motor down (gravity and all)

I'm not calling anyone a liar, just trying to understand the issue.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next