It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: P0457 (gas cap) engine light reset?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:20 pm 
LOST Newbie

My check engine light came on and I did the "key trick" to retrieve the code. Came up P0457 which, from what I've seen, is usually because of the gas cap. I reseated the cap and I'm wondering if the light turns off on its own. If it is the gas cap, should the light turn off immediately after fixing it? Do I have to take it to the dealer and get them to reset it? Recently (3 days ago) I had the code P0465 which I went to the dealer for. They said I had an EVAP leak and that it was also storing a gas cap code. They said they fixed the leak and cleared the codes. It's an 05 renegade with 29,200 miles which I just bought 2 weeks ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:58 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If it is fixed it will clear itself after a few driving cycles.

Rock Rails
Trac-Lock

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

the light persists... new code too P0456. I'll be taking it to the dealer and insisting I know how to properly tighten the gas cap and that's not the issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:06 pm 
LOST Junkie

sharp wrote:
the light persists... new code too P0456. I'll be taking it to the dealer and insisting I know how to properly tighten the gas cap and that's not the issue.

A PO456 and PO457 are Evap leaks, one code being "small leak detected" the other being "large leak detected". You need to trace all of your lines all the way back to evap. tank looking for mushy rubber hoses or cracked plastic lines. If nothing shows up there then you could probably expect the Evap. tank leaking. Hope this helps. :wink:

Lifted
Cooper Discover ATRs 265/75/16
American Racing 16x8 Polished Baja Wheels
Moog Lower Ball Joints
Member#051397 L.O.S.T. Midwest

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

I took it to the dealer. They said it was storing a code for wrong engine oil?? I specifically asked if it was storing any other codes... the guy said it wasn't. I checked the codes in the parking lot and it had P0457 and P0456 like before. I don't trust the dealership. The first time I went there they tried to charge me $500 to do 30k mile maintenance and lied to me saying I only had about 100 miles before I hit 30k. I still have about 800 miles to go. I had them do an oil change just in case. If the light comes on again I will go to autozone and get them to read the computer first. Then I'll head to the dealer and wait and see what they come tell me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:37 pm 
LOST Junkie

sharp wrote:
I took it to the dealer. They said it was storing a code for wrong engine oil?? I specifically asked if it was storing any other codes... the guy said it wasn't. I checked the codes in the parking lot and it had P0457 and P0456 like before. I don't trust the dealership. The first time I went there they tried to charge me $500 to do 30k mile maintenance and lied to me saying I only had about 100 miles before I hit 30k. I still have about 800 miles to go. I had them do an oil change just in case. If the light comes on again I will go to autozone and get them to read the computer first. Then I'll head to the dealer and wait and see what they come tell me.

Thats the first time in 24 years of my profession of hearing about a code for wrong engine oil. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Anyways I've been doing drivability problems and diagnosing computers since they have been invented. I really think you need to find a good local independent shop that you can trust and give them your buisness. I don't mean to knock all dealerships, some of them are very good. And if you still have warranty issues then please go in there with a freindly but
firm approach. If I can answer any questions or maybe help walk you thru any diagnostic steps, just let me know.

Ron

Lifted
Moog Lower Ball Joints

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

awesome, thanks

Post subject: Error Codes Anyone?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:34 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Just had the latest flash done on my 05 Liberty sport CRD. The result two days later I get the following error codes: P0101, P0401, P0299, P0101 again, P0401.
Any ideas.
Dealer has ordered a new computer for the Jeep. In the meantime poor milage and performance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:22 am 
LOST Member

when i do my key trick it doesnt work for some reason. if my CEL is on and i do it i get nothing i even tried the holding in the odo reset button and turning the key to on it goes through the cyle and beeps but displays no codes wassup with that?

front brush guard
everthing else is stock for now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:18 am 
LOST Newbie

it takes 40 drive cycles for a dtc to clear assuming that during those 40 cycles the same problem does not reoccure. A "drive cycle" cold start to engine fan turning on to cold again before it is started again. after only a few drive cycles the light does turn of although the DTC is still stored in the ecu.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:45 am 
LOST Member

i dunno i tried it as soon as it came on this time did the off on thingy and the odo button and neither works for me

front brush guard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

O_Dogg wrote:
i dunno i tried it as soon as it came on this time did the off on thingy and the odo button and neither works for me

I don't know. Here's what I do exactly:
1. Insert the key
2. turn to "on" (position just before cranking)
3. turn back to "acc" (one down from off)
4. turn to on
5. turn to acc
6. turn to on and keep it there. watch the odometer for codes.

At first I couldn't get it to work because I was mixed up about what "on" and "acc" were. After that I was just doing it too slowly. I'd say it takes about 3-4 seconds to do. It will just say "done" if there are no codes. Otherwise it displays each code one at a time then displays done. I have an 05 gas liberty which may be significant to why it doesn't work for you.

I went back to the dealer today for about the 4th time. They finally did more than just read and reset the computer. They replaced the gas cap and two fuel line hoses. We'll see if it worked after about a week or two.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:36 pm 
LOST Member

ahh see i was going on off on off on off on off on

not going back to acc. so acc. is back from when you put the key in correct? turn the key towards me right?

front brush guard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:27 am 
LOST Newbie

That'd be it. There's a picture somewhere in the manual too. I had to look it up. Also, the cycle goes on-acc-on-acc-on so it's only in the on position 3 times. Hope that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:09 pm 
LOST Junkie

Hey sharp......It's good to hear that your dealer is finally doing things to try and solve your problem.As I posted earlier in this thread,you've probably got an evap. leak.The hoses that they replaced might have been the problem.If you don't get any results from these repairs,I would suggest they do an evap. leak test if they have'nt already.Some shops don't have the proper machine to do this.The shop I work for has a machine that mixes a special gas with compressed air to form smoke for pressurizing the system.Under the hood in the engine compartment you will have a test port for hooking this machine to.The port usually has a green colored cap to remove for hookup of this tester.Once the evap. system is pressurized with smoke we simply follow all lines back to the evap. charcol canister.At times we have found a very small leak in the plastic canister where it has been seemed together,making it very hard to find without pressurizing the system with smoke.If for some reason they don't have this machine,you might nicely suggest they get one as a real time saving tool.I think ours has really paid for it'self.Good luck,and keep us posted. :)

Ron

Lifted
Moog Lower Ball Joints

Post subject: Engine Light stays on after start up
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

Have a 2007 Liberty
Engine light stays on and checking manual I checked the Gas cap and also put in 87 Gas to see if that would help
Only have 600 Miles on it
Is there anything else to check or before taking it in to the dealer
Have gone thru about 20 cyles with the ignition and it drives ok

Light still stays on :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:28 pm 
LOST Member

did you pull any codes?? can you even pull codes on the new models??

front brush guard

Post subject: Engine Light stays on after start up
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:51 pm 
LOST Newbie

Tried the key on acc on acc on and I don't get any codes
Getting a little concerned about the light being on
checked the gas cap again and made sure it was on good
Might just have to take it some place to have it checked
What would happen If I disconnected the battery and then re connected
Will that reset the code or start another problem