It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BIG PROBLEM WITH MY 05
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:13 pm 
LOST Newbie

so here is the deal.
05 rocky mountain with 23k
my check engine light came on 3 days ago. Misfire on cylinder 4.
the dealer called me today and told me that they are sending the valves to a machine shop because there is a problem in the 4th cylinder and that they might find more once they dig deeper. they have no clue why it actually misfires.

they tried telling me that i probably have carbon build up from driving slow. listen, my little kj hauls booty, so i know its not from that. then he told me it may be from cheap gas. is this guy serious?

i need some opinions on what to do here.
it is under warranty for now, what if in a year it is not and this kind of problems reoccure. this is a lot of money to fix.

should i get rid of the liberty??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sounds similar to my problem, altho it never got to the point where they suggested sending my valves to a machine shop. thread here

To finish off the thread because i never did post the outcome...i made an appointment with another dealership that i had not given any details to. Parked the jeep for a few days with the battery disconnected. When i started driving it again, the CEL light wasn't on and didn't come on again before my appointment...so i canceled my appointment. Figured i'd lost the KJ for about a week already, wasn't going to leave it with another dealership for them to say they couldn't find anything. And the CEL hasn't come on since. Maybe there was a little carbon still left in the system after the flush and it burned off. Maybe the error code wasn't really cleared until i disconnected the battery. I really don't know why, but i've been trouble free now for 6 weeks now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:42 am 
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint

Did you buy your KJ new or used? If used, the dealer can pull up the vehicle's service history by the VIN. If this is the only major repair, I would not get rid of her unless it really bothers you. Face it, this is a machine built on an assembly line, and nothing is completely perfect. Overall, it is your call. As the dealer told you, it could have been caused by some bad gas. if this was the case, I would have the fuel filter changed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:15 am 
LOST Member

Your dealer is being a tool. If it's carbon buildup, it means that you're using regular gasoline (non-unleaded), and spending some time idling. It's not that big of a deal, they should just clean the carbon off of whatever is at issue and send you on your way.

Carbon can EASILY be cleaned off by leaning the mixture out to the max at high RPM for a few seconds, but you can't do that on a modern computer controlled engine :evil: . Low-Tech sure has it's advantages....

As long as it's covered under your warranty, let them have their way with it. At the worst, you have new valves. If you were paying out of pocket, it would be a different story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:49 am 
LOST Junkie

If it's under warranty, I'd let the dealer sort it out. I have heard of a few other techniques to remove carbon build up.... one of them being that sea foam product which I have used a few times.... a light PITA because you need to disconnect a vacuum line to suck it into the engine. I don't know how effective it is, butmy one friend swore by it.
-Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:58 am 
LOST Addict

Sea foam is effective - it's pretty much like the stuff a dealership puts into the engine to clean out all of the carbon build up.

The poor-mans method is to get on the highway and "hammer down" a couple of times (but don't go speeding around - you just need to do some full throttle passing of cars to assist in the removal of the carbon)

USA Spec I-Pod adaptor, Mopar Sub, Garmin GPS
Tow Package, Select-Trac
Rock Rails, Tow Hooks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

i just got back from the dealer. i had to pick some things up from my liberty. they yanked out almost wverything under the hood. the kid working on my car spent about 15 mintues under the hood with me to show me what he was doing. he said this is the EIGHTH one that he has done.

he said that they are made on an assembly line and some are imperfect but when i get it back it will be better than new. The inside will be carbon free, like when i bought it and that this will not happen again after the machine shop takes care of what every they are doing.

also, i have an 05 so my powertrain is 7-70000

so i am still not sure if i shuld keep it though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:46 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm curious to know what exactly they are doing to your valves to make them better than new and guarantee this wont happen again. I'd also be interested in hearing why they went right to the machine shop instead of changing the spark plugs, doing a flush, etc.

One quick question, was your KJ running differently (rough, loss of power, etc) when the light came on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:50 am 
LOST Newbie

my KJ made 2 or 3 sputters than the chek engine light came on. it was on for 3 days. the day i took it to the dealer it went off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:26 pm 
LOST Member

Just heard from the dealer regarding my check engine light. He said there's a cylinder misfire in memory and he needs to have the KJ for 3 days. I can take it home tonight and keep driving it, but will leave it with him when I go on vacation in a few weeks. He said they see so many KJs with misfires that they're now experts in the Chrysler procedure for repairing it. I wonder if this issue is isolated to 05's?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'd run some seafoam through the vacuum into the intake (use up half a can).
Put the other half of the can into 1/2 tank of gas (use 89 octane).

Then do a few hard runs on the highway and get the RPMs up.

After all that, the carbon build up should be fixed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:28 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

naw my 06 has a similar problem developing i think...but we'll see what happens....already had all spark plugs, catalytic convertors, and o2 sensors replaced due to too lean a bank....but we'll see what develops now...

AEV 3.5" RS Lift; Schrockworks FR bumper and Warn 9.5ti winch; Cobra 75 CB; Rigid 50" LED light bar; Adventure Trailers (AT Overland) JK Kitchen setup in the cargo area.
Southern L.O.S.T. # 236487

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:18 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I got my fingers crossed. My 05 has 30K+ miles and no problems...yet!

Terry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:18 pm 
LOST Junkie

This is somewhat of a common problem on these liberties. Luckily not mine yet. I work for a fleet management company where i monitor, decline or authroize repairs. Basically just make sure our clients aren't getting ripped by the dealer or repair shop. Anyway i've seen a few of 3.7's go in for a misfire and then end up having to replace the intake valves due to carbon buildup. What happens is carbon builds up around the valves resulting in them not seating properly, causing a loss of compression, which the end result is a misfire. I"m sure chrysler has some type of tsb out on this. All the ones i've dealt with were either under the 3/36 warranty or the 7/70 with the deductable.

Just be glad it's not a junk ford with a 4.6 or 5.4 motor that blows the spark plugs and the threads right out of the heads.

07' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1500 4x4
Yeah it's got a hemi!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:25 pm 
Banned For Abuse on LostJeeps.com

myjeepwalks wrote:
This is somewhat of a common problem on these liberties. Luckily not mine yet. I work for a fleet management company where i monitor, decline or authroize repairs. Basically just make sure our clients aren't getting ripped by the dealer or repair shop. Anyway i've seen a few of 3.7's go in for a misfire and then end up having to replace the intake valves due to carbon buildup. What happens is carbon builds up around the valves resulting in them not seating properly, causing a loss of compression, which the end result is a misfire. I"m sure chrysler has some type of tsb out on this. All the ones i've dealt with were either under the 3/36 warranty or the 7/70 with the deductable.

Just be glad it's not a junk ford with a 4.6 or 5.4 motor that blows the spark plugs and the threads right out of the heads.

I had over a 100,000 on my trouble free 4.6. At least they have a 5 year powertrain warranty.

Could the Aztecs have known, that in 2012 after a 4 year experiment, our country would cease to exist?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

i have another post on here about "today's adventure", where i towed my YJ home after i had gotten it stuck. that evening, when i went to get new filters, i had a code light. i went to autozone for the filters, and the guy there hooked up his code reader.....misfire on cylinder 6.....he erased the code and no more issues all week. did i gunk something up towing another vehicle that may have triggered the code/carbon build-up?

Mopar belly-armor
Rusty's/OME/isolators and locknuts
http://s209.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/jelohead/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:13 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It's the mud flaps you never paid me for you Charlie Wenzel. Karma can be a beeotch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:46 pm 
LOST Member

I spoke with the service guys at my dealership about my misfire. They said the 3.7 had always been a great engine and when people came in with a engine malfunction light it was usually a loose gas cap. However, recently they've had a lot of 05 and 06 KJ's coming in with misfires. Apparently, and bear with me because I don't know engines, Jeep modified the design of the part that makes the valve rotate. I guess the new design is causing problems and Jeep has advised dealers how to fix the issue. The dealer said they've seen so many 05 and 06 KJs with this issue that they're now experts in the fix and I should notice improved performance when the job is done.

I just realized I didn't ask HOW they're going to fix it, so I'm no help there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:22 pm 
LOST Junkie

BVCRD wrote:
myjeepwalks wrote:

I had over a 100,000 on my trouble free 4.6. At least they have a 5 year powertrain warranty.

I had a Jeep certified 8/80 warranty on my Liberty :?

As far as i know here is no 5 year powertrain warranty on a ford unless you bought the extended warranty or of course you have/had a lincoln. I should of also specified it was the 4.6/5.4 out of the E series vans and the F series trucks with the sohc motors.

07' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1500 4x4
Yeah it's got a hemi!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:15 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Quote:

After a few weeks of trouble free driving, the CEL came back on. Cleared it, few days later it came back on again, seemed to only happen in stop and go traffic. Took it to the dealership. Ten days later, KJ was returned, and at the bottom of the invoice was the following:

"31820 19 VERIFIED CHECK ENGINE LIGHT FOUND ON CYLINDER TWO AND 3 MISFIRES FOUND TSB 0900706 Replace Intake Valve Locks of Both Heads and Intake Valves of One Cylinder Head; Test Engine Performance Then Replace Intake Valves On Other Cylinder Head LOP 09-95-01-97 12.4 Hrs TK1092"