It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winch Bumper Progress PICS!!!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:17 pm 
LOST Member

As some of you may know, I was planning on building my own winch bumper for my KJ since there are too few options at way too high of a cost. I had this idea and it worked out just as I had pictured it. I have about $100 in steel into this project. The rest of the fab work will be done early next week if not by tomorrow. More to come

OD '48 Willys CJ2a: fresh motor, new wiring harness, stainless exhaust, bestop, 34" TSLs and about 200 hours into the thing, possibly FOR SALE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

Looks good so far, can't wait to see the finished product!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:28 pm 
LOST Addict

Are you planning on running a front mount receiver hitch?

What are you planning for recovery point?

Is that hollow part going to be for a winch mount?

How does this compare to stock for your approach angle?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:54 pm 
LOST Member

Sir Sam wrote:

The hollow part is for a winch I am rotating the winch 90degrees counter clockwise from the traditional way, That way I save $90 on a winch mounting plate. I am adding two clevis hooks tomorrow and we should be building the roller fairlead mount. The approach angle is much better than stock becuase of the rec tubing I used, its 2"x8" 3/16 wall so its several inches shorter than the plastic.

If you still want my old bumper cover I'll sell it to you or we can build you one of these but it ain't gonna be cheap...

OD '48 Willys CJ2a: fresh motor, new wiring harness, stainless exhaust, bestop, 34" TSLs and about 200 hours into the thing, possibly FOR SALE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:48 pm 
LOST Addict

CRDburnouts wrote:
Sir Sam wrote:

The hollow part is for a winch I am rotating the winch 90degrees counter clockwise from the traditional way, That way I save $90 on a winch mounting plate. I am adding two clevis hooks tomorrow and we should be building the roller fairlead mount. The approach angle is much better than stock becuase of the rec tubing I used, its 2"x8" 3/16 wall so its several inches shorter than the plastic.

If you still want my old bumper cover I'll sell it to you or we can build you one of these but it ain't gonna be cheap...

I suppose I know what you mean when you talk about the winch, do those sharpie marks represent where your going to be welding in the hooks?

I suppose it doesnt matter to me about your bumper, for what Id want to pay for a used part considering the new price you might not want to part with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:50 am 
LOST Junkie

Looks good. I enjoy seeing members capture new ideas with there welders. Do you have any plans for a rear bumper?

1985 Mitsubishi Pickup SP 2.3 Turbo Diesel Watercooled turbo,4D56 ported head,
12" Suspension Lift with JK Rubicon axles, Elockers, 5.13's, Fox coilovers, Atlas 5.0, Rock Lizard supersliders

1996 Lexus LX450 -locked and lifted-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:07 pm 
LOST Member

Here are some more pics i took today...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:16 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It is looking beefy for sure. One suggestion would be to leave it raw and take it offroad before you do the final welding. You might end up trimming the corners at a steeper angle...especially if you find that they bottom out too easy...

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:23 pm 
LOST Member

Good suggestion but you need to keep in mind that the windsheild washer fluid resevoir is right behind the bumper, any more angle in and that would need its own skid.

see...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:16 am 
LOST Addict

CRDburnouts wrote:
Good suggestion but you need to keep in mind that the windsheild washer fluid resevoir is right behind the bumper, any more angle in and that would need its own skid.

see...

Remove that sucker, and replace it with a resevoir somewhere else.

06 CRD Sport
Built 5/11/06
Jeep Green
Rocklizard diff cover
V6 Airbox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:30 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It would be pretty cool to build the resevoir into the bumper itself...use that empty space :idea: One of the "old style" bags could be slipped in the corner thru the top or something to that effect.

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:50 am 
LOST Member

Maybe on the next one we build... Relocating the resevoir would not be the easiest task but would definetly allow for more clearance.

It looks like we messed up on the winch location, with the winch centered in the space the cable spool is off-center by a couple inches. This shouldn't be a problem but will look a bit odd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:34 am 
LOST Addict

DarbyWalters wrote:
It would be pretty cool to build the resevoir into the bumper itself...use that empty space :idea: One of the "old style" bags could be slipped in the corner thru the top or something to that effect.

Nah man, weld up the bumper real good and turn it into a pressure resevoir for filling the tires! That way you can let some air out before wheelin and then air em back up after!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:00 pm 
LOST Addict

Sir Sam wrote:
DarbyWalters wrote:

Nah man, weld up the bumper real good and turn it into a pressure resevoir for filling the tires! That way you can let some air out before wheelin and then air em back up after!

When I get some rock sliders I may do that with them. It is a good idea for sure. And the bumper would have a much larger capacity the the sliders I would think.

06 CRD Sport
Built 5/11/06
Jeep Green
Rocklizard diff cover
V6 Airbox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:46 pm 
LOST Addict

Jeger wrote:
Sir Sam wrote:
DarbyWalters wrote:

When I get some rock sliders I may do that with them. It is a good idea for sure. And the bumper would have a much larger capacity the the sliders I would think.

Everytime I see someone makeshift a bumper out of tube and bolt it to the back of a pickup I think the same thing....PERFECT resevoir for holding compressed air.

Seems like a great idea to me, heck even put a small compressor on board to fill it up while driving.

Though I dont think I would bother doing that on rock rails.