It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dyno results, stock CRD
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:48 am 
LOST Addict

I decided I'm going to get the InMotion ECU flash a couple people have gotten, but I wanted to get some baseline numbers of what the engine's putting out in nearly stock form, so I took it to the dyno yesterday. We pulled off 3 consistent runs in 3rd gear with the TC locked, with the peak numbers averaging 160hp and 340 ft-lbs, at the WHEELS! I couldn't believe it! I know there will be a ton of skeptics, and I'm one of them. What's important to me is not absolute numbers, but that the ECU flash actually improves on base numbers.

Particulars about the vehicle include:
05 Sport
23k mi
glasspack silencer
ORM
EHM
CAT2 fuel filter
unplugged fuel heater
brand new Mopar air filter
no F37 or F31
Full tank of ULSD
Full bottle of Redline Diesel Fuel Catalyst (way too much, I know. I spaced out when dumping it in like Techron in a gasser)
bled the fuel system just prior
Rotella 5W-40
tires at 40psi
The tech tried to get the pull to start at as low an rpm as possible and with as much throttle as possible without unlocking the TC. This meant taking o/d off and letting it shift into 3rd at 38mph. Starting at about 1650 rpm he would roll onto full throttle in about 1-2 seconds, having it floored by 2000 rpm. Any faster rolling it to the floor would just cause the TC to unlock and rpms to surge. This may be why the torque peak and power peak were both at 2400 rpm. It's interesting how different the curves are from the graph on Jeep's website.

There was an LS1 powered sand rail there just before me that I saw put down 310hp/320 ft-lbs, so the CRD out torqued him by a healthy margin. When I first got to the shop no one really paid much attention to the CRD, except to ask if it was really a diesel. Probably expecting it to lay down some TDI Jetta-like numbers. The first run really turned some heads, and had people coming over to look. When the second and third runs confirmed it, there were some stunned people asking what it was rated at. The techs were surprised that it exceeded the rating, saying their dyno was notoriously stubborn, and seldom exceeded people's expectations.

I'm going to try and send the ECU out to InMotion on Monday so I can do the second dyno run on the same tank of fuel. They're going to have their work cut out for them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:07 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Pretty good numbers for stock. There was a Diesel Mag that did a stock run with Dynomax Cat back and then with two different fuelers. Don't remember the exact numbers but I think with the fueler they hit ~320-331 at the rear wheels. The ORM "might" explain the increased numbers. It will be interesting to see the "after InMotion" numbers.

I am sure they adjusted for altitude/temp/humidity.

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:19 pm 
LOST Addict

DarbyWalters wrote:

Yes, the SAE correction factor was 1.22, mainly because I'm at 5000 ft. So these are sea level numbers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:31 pm 
LOST Junkie

Holy Moses! That torque figure is amazing!

I have the InMotion tune, and I can tell you that it does liven the vehicle up a bit. I got the Stage 2 tune and I've taken a MPG hit of about 2-3mpg.

2005 Liberty CRD *SOLD*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

i think everyone feels a little bit better now...

that is just amazing!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:38 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

That's very impressive. I really like how this little engine pulls, it's good to put some numbers to it. The torque reminds me of my turbocharged 280Z I dynoed, with 313 hp and 405 ft-lbs of torque. I love turbos.

'01 Beetle TDi B100, EGR delete
'83 Mercedes 240D B100, no EGR

--- SEGR Builder ---

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:50 pm 
LOST Addict

There as a dyno day and you didnt tell me! ARG! Cmon man, your killin me!

CATCRD wrote:
DarbyWalters wrote:

Yes, the SAE correction factor was 1.22, mainly because I'm at 5000 ft. So these are sea level numbers.

Yes we are at 5000 feet here, and before someone gets off on a 22% correction factor(because I know someone will say somethign about it) Thats just how it is it, every dyno here is like that, we have correction factors from 20-25 depending on ambient condidtions.

Did they get you the DRF files as well or just the print out? If you were able to get the DRF files from before and after I can run a 90th order simpsons regression on the data to compare overall power before and after(area under the curve). We've done this before when modding 300zxs to be able to really compare usable power.

If you send me the DRF files I could make some better printouts of it as well. Also, we should make a sticky of "post your dyno results"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:52 pm 
LOST Addict

UFO wrote:
That's very impressive. I really like how this little engine pulls, it's good to put some numbers to it. The torque reminds me of my turbocharged 280Z I dynoed, with 313 hp and 405 ft-lbs of torque. I love turbos.

Ah yes, the s30, grab the turbo engine from a zx and find a nice light first gen to slap it in....personally one of these days I want a turbo LD28 in a first gen car........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:18 pm 
LOST Junkie

thats some good stuff.
The dynos around here don't want to dyno a diesel jeep

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
SAMCO Hoses//GDE Tune//PML Trans Pan//TransGo HD Shift Kit//MBRP Exhaust

1986 2R Mustang SVO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:44 pm 
LOST Addict

Sir Sam wrote:

There was no official day, just kind of a spur of the moment thing :D If you've got some similar mods it would be interesting for you to try it on the same dyno and see how the numbers compare, Jeep to Jeep.

I didn't get any files from them, just the printout, but they save all that stuff so I could get it the next time I go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:55 pm 
LOST Addict

RTStabler51 wrote:
thats some good stuff.
The dynos around here don't want to dyno a diesel jeep

They may not know where to get an rpm signal without a plug wire to clamp onto. This shop used a magnetic pickup underneath the crank pulley to get rpm. It meant removing the engine skid plate and mounting it below.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:57 pm 
LOST Addict

I notice the number falls with every subsequent attempt. It seems like the last person to post dyno numbers had significantly more drop off than yours, however.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:20 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Temp increased slightly and figures dropped slightly...pretty normal if oil is at operating temps.

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sir Sam wrote:
UFO wrote:

Ah yes, the s30, grab the turbo engine from a zx and find a nice light first gen to slap it in....personally one of these days I want a turbo LD28 in a first gen car........
The LD28 would be fun! :D

'01 Beetle TDi B100, EGR delete
'83 Mercedes 240D B100, no EGR

--- SEGR Builder ---

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:46 pm 
LOST Addict

CATCRD wrote:
Sir Sam wrote:

There was no official day, just kind of a spur of the moment thing :D If you've got some similar mods it would be interesting for you to try it on the same dyno and see how the numbers compare, Jeep to Jeep.

I didn't get any files from them, just the printout, but they save all that stuff so I could get it the next time I go.

Ah ok, your off the hook, this time.

I was actually wanting to dyno my 300zx, I havent had my convertible out on the dyno, and ever since redline closed up over on timberline I didnt even know we had a shop with a dyno up here.

if you can get them to email you your dyno chart so we can play around with it.

Pablo wrote:
I notice the number falls with every subsequent attempt. It seems like the last person to post dyno numbers had significantly more drop off than yours, however.

Yes heat soak happens, generally if you are able to observe some cooldown you can overcome it, but if its jsut a few quick runs you dont get that chance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:26 pm 
LOST Addict

Sir Sam wrote:
Pablo wrote:

Yes heat soak happens, generally if you are able to observe some cooldown you can overcome it, but if its jsut a few quick runs you dont get that chance.

The last 2 runs were maded with a blower forcing air through the grill, but yes, it heat soaks a little.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:44 pm 
LOST Addict

CATCRD wrote:
Sir Sam wrote:
Pablo wrote:

The last 2 runs were maded with a blower forcing air through the grill, but yes, it heat soaks a little.

IMO all of the runs should have been maded with the blower, doing so on the first run would have greatly reduced the heat soak from the first into the later runs.

how much did the shop charge for the 3 runs? was it an organized dyno day or just some people coming by?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:22 pm 
LOST Member

Ok...this is good news. I had a Dyno run here in AZ earlier this year and got similar numbers. I didn't believe them because they were so much higher than stock. After the first run however, the performance really dropped off due to the heat. That first run came up with the exact same #'s as yours though and it too turned heads. We could just never recreate it, and at $100/hr, with the heat...

I'll trade you something for the pre-f37 TCM :wink:

Yukon Rear Axles
265/75 16 TrXus M/T's and Bridgestone Revo's
Fumoto Valve
Aero Turbine 2525
Rock Lizard Komodo Bumper
Sundance Custom's Front Bumper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:55 pm 
LOST Junkie

Just for ha-ha's, can you make some runs with and with-out ORM? We've only had one other ORM dyno test before....

99.5 FrankenJetta TDI (R.I.P.): being turned into diesel hybrid!
99.5 Replacement Jetta TDI: deal of a lifetime, EHM, some other stuff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:11 pm 
LOST Addict

Sir Sam wrote:

IMO all of the runs should have been maded with the blower, doing so on the first run would have greatly reduced the heat soak from the first into the later runs.

how much did the shop charge for the 3 runs? was it an organized dyno day or just some people coming by?

Yea, no kidding, but I was standing kind of to the side of the Jeep and didn't notice if they had the blower there until after the first run. I had to ask them to put it up. Seriously though, a few ft-lbs loss between runs isn't even worth talking about.

The shop charged $60 for three good pulls, which is pretty steep. The organized dyno day I went to there last year, with a different car, was $35, so I won't be doing any more "what-if" runs unless people want to send me money. I just called these guys up about a week in advance and set up an appointment