It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: almost caught on fire
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

Last week I was driving home from work and my CRD died. My oil light came on. When I checked the oil level I noticed that the wires coming out of the fuel heater were smoking a little. When these two guys helped me push my car to a safer spot, a lot of smoke came pooring out from under the hood. When I popped the hood, you could see the wires smoldering. Once I took the key out of the ignition (I had it turned to the auxillary position to get it into neutral) it stopped smoldering and smoking.

I purchased the CRD used from a Suburu dealer 88 days prior to this moment. It took them 2 days before they could even tell me if I had a 30 or 90 day warranty. They finally said it was 30 but even if it was 90, that particular part wasn't covered. So, I ordered a new fuel/water separater (which has the fuel heater attached) and my cousin put it on for me. The jeep seems to be working fine now. The repair occurred 3 days ago.

HAS ANYONE ELSE HEARD OF THIS PROBLEM? My cousin said he read a few posts on the internet about the same problem but there has not been a recall yet. YOu would think that if other people are having this problem and MY CAR ALMOST CAUGHT ON FIRE, that there would be some kind of recall or warning.

ALSO, how can you have a part go bad that almost caused a fire and it not be covered under a warranty?

Just thought I would post this in case anyone else had a problem and if we need to get the message to Chrysler that there are a lot of people who have had this problem.

Post subject: Re: almost caught on fire
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:02 pm 
LOST Addict

marchesani73 wrote:
Last week I was driving home from work and my CRD died. My oil light came on. When I checked the oil level I noticed that the wires coming out of the fuel heater were smoking a little. When these two guys helped me push my car to a safer spot, a lot of smoke came pooring out from under the hood. When I popped the hood, you could see the wires smoldering. Once I took the key out of the ignition (I had it turned to the auxillary position to get it into neutral) it stopped smoldering and smoking.

I purchased the CRD used from a Suburu dealer 88 days prior to this moment. It took them 2 days before they could even tell me if I had a 30 or 90 day warranty. They finally said it was 30 but even if it was 90, that particular part wasn't covered. So, I ordered a new fuel/water separater (which has the fuel heater attached) and my cousin put it on for me. The jeep seems to be working fine now. The repair occurred 3 days ago.

HAS ANYONE ELSE HEARD OF THIS PROBLEM? My cousin said he read a few posts on the internet about the same problem but there has not been a recall yet. YOu would think that if other people are having this problem and MY CAR ALMOST CAUGHT ON FIRE, that there would be some kind of recall or warning.

ALSO, how can you have a part go bad that almost caused a fire and it not be covered under a warranty?

Just thought I would post this in case anyone else had a problem and if we need to get the message to Chrysler that there are a lot of people who have had this problem.

Please tell us you saved the old part!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:05 pm 
LOST Newbie

yeah, I still have it. I kept it in case I needed other parts from it or if Chrysler needs proof. What did you have in mind?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:17 pm 
LOST Addict

marchesani73 wrote:
yeah, I still have it. I kept it in case I needed other parts from it or if Chrysler needs proof. What did you have in mind?

Thats good, others will chime in at some point, I think a few people have even been in contact with the NTSB(?) about the issue.

And yes there have been some problems with that part, others can talk more about it, Im on borrowed ground as it is, I dont know as much about the topic as others do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:17 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

marchesani73
1st - file a safety complaint about it almost catching fire
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:19 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

and this one's the thread for the NHTSA Engineer evaluating them

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=21971&highlight=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:56 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Absolutely file a report. Others have experienced problems but none so severe as yours, but we have all been concerned that someone might have a problem. Save the part, take pictures of the damage, be prepared the ship the pieces to the feds, a recall is in order and the more who experience the problem the closer we get to a fix.

'06 CRD Limited, Lt. Khaki, MOPAR Slush Mats/Skids, DrawTite Front Hitch, Mag Lite, Yakima Bars, Thule Bike Rack, Fumoto, ORM, 245/70 Revo 2

Wish list: Lift, Boulder Bars, Something Bigger in the Front and Back, More Lights

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:17 pm 
LOST Junkie

Yep, burned out fuel heater in the fuel filter is a VERY common problem. I've contacted the NTSA and filed a report with pictures when mine buned out, I suggest that you do the same.

If you are not in winter conditions, I suggest NOT plugging the fuel heater plug back in if you have replaced the OEM set-up. There is no reliable way to make sure that this will not happen again, because air will ALWAYS collect in the fuel filter..it is the highest point in the fuel system and the heater element is at the highest point in the filter. So it sits in the air and cooks until it shorts. Some have mentioned that dielectric grease will help, others that vigilant air purging will help...but I wouldn't bet my life on it.

Unplug it if you are running stock.

99.5 FrankenJetta TDI (R.I.P.): being turned into diesel hybrid!
99.5 Replacement Jetta TDI: deal of a lifetime, EHM, some other stuff