It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SEGR/ORM Satisfaction
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:49 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi, have had the product long enough to be completely satisfied.
MPG is up, almost all hesitation is gone.

All in all almost drives as good as I recall when purchased in 2005.
Very thankful for this forum, LocoCRD and everyone for their time and dedication to fix this vehicle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:06 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

did you do any write ups or do you have pics of your install?

other mods coming soon...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:01 am 
LOST Newbie

No write up, just followed the instructions supplied with the kit. However I did go over to LocoCRD’s for the install and I’m sure that contributed to the confidence, splicing into the ECM/TCM and soldering/shrink wrapping the connections.

I have very little automotive repair experience and can understand the trepidation involved when you receive the parts. I just want to give my experience and how pleased I am with the outcome. It was the single best modification made to the vehicle.

Post subject: update
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

Vehicle has been to dealer to check for current updates and check for codes. Vehicle has latest updates and no codes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks for the update! Lets hear some more success stories out there.

SEGR ala TurboTim
255/70/16 Big O on Rubis minor trimming required
87k+ miles=3 factory TC's, 2 front pumps, 1 turbo, & drivers side wheel bearing/hub
Suncoast TC and Transgo Snake oil-41k
New Front Drive shaft-30K
Stage 2 InMotion Tune-54k, makes me go :)
B&M Tranny Cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:06 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Wife.... interference..... can't.... seem .... to.... get ..... enough.... time....... to ..... solder....... argh!!!

Post subject: What is it?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:49 am 
LOST Member

Sorry folks. Computer crash, work and pressing business kept me from the forum for a while. I know what the ORM is but what is the SEGR?

Thanks,
WWV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:01 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

SEGR is a great electronic kit that Tim designed and Loco assembled and shipped (some to UFO to build for others) that fools the MAF into thinking it is always there and functioning when it is not. Does slightly more than the ORM and eliminates the CEL. It does require that you splice several wires into the vehicle wire harness.

'06 CRD Limited, Lt. Khaki, MOPAR Slush Mats/Skids, DrawTite Front Hitch, Mag Lite, Yakima Bars, Thule Bike Rack, Fumoto, ORM, 245/70 Revo 2

Wish list: Lift, Boulder Bars, Something Bigger in the Front and Back, More Lights

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:36 am 
LOST Member

Thanks. 4k away from the end of my warranty....keeping an eye on mods I can do to increase performance.

WWV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:49 pm 
LOST Member

I've been running it since august and everything has been fine. I did see a 2 mpg increase and finally broke 20 mpg (mostly stop and go driving).
Jeep runs great and it is nice having the FCV active on shutdown.

And LocoCRD's help on the project is EXCELLENT!

Bill, what is taking you so long your an engineer!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:15 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Gila remember that the odometer is pessimistic so you are really getting ~3-4% better than that. I have the lift with 235/75/16s and the odometer is off 6%...driving carefully, I can get 22 city.

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:19 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ya, Ya GilaMonster... rub it in.

By the way... you should try power service "grey" additive. It does wonders improving the Diesel we have here in AZ.

Also.... biodiesel is cheap (3.09 with the 28 cent commercial tax included) at Arizona Petroleum on Cherry Ave.

I get 20.5 mpg with a 80%bioD / 20% dino + additive mix (no AC), all in town. NO ORM.

I am not expecting much from the SEGR in terms of MPG improvememts. Just a reduction in soot going to the engine.

Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:56 pm 
LOST Junkie

Thanks to Loco and UFO, I have a kit ready to be installed... I just haven't been able to find the time to do the final assembly of the darn thing. Anyone else in the Portland, OR area installing this mod?

235/75/16 Firestone Destination ATs (summer)
Thule roof rack, cargo box
V6 airbox mod
Flowmaster 50 2.5 inch muffler
Edge EZ module (set for fuel economy)
SEGR
TDIWagonGuy CCV filter
B99 (summer), B20 (winter)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:52 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Very happy with mine so far, but y'all are getting some dismal mileages. I feel sorry for you.

HWY miles at 75-80mph, I am getting a solid 25, verified by numbers (and I know the distance exactly b/c I make the run all the time) so my larger tires are helping a bit, but in-town, I don't think I'm much LOWER than 20... And this is on a KJ with the F37. I would very much like to get a chip and maybe a better converter to increase this even more.

This morning however, the converter would not lock up for about the first mile or two after leaving my driveway... I'm blaming the 35 degree morning, but I really hope this isn't a trend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:56 pm 
LOST Member

Bill.Barg wrote:
Ya, Ya GilaMonster... rub it in.

By the way... you should try power service "grey" additive. It does wonders improving the Diesel we have here in AZ.

Also.... biodiesel is cheap (3.09 with the 28 cent commercial tax included) at Arizona Petroleum on Cherry Ave.

I get 20.5 mpg with a 80%bioD / 20% dino + additive mix (no AC), all in town. NO ORM.

I am not expecting much from the SEGR in terms of MPG improvememts. Just a reduction in soot going to the engine.

Bill

I didn't expect a MPG improvement either but was hoping for the better. Just wanted to put a stop to the soot too. I've been running Power Service from day one. You can get it walmart for a good price. I have not been down to AZ petroleum for sometime, must be a coincidence that I'm working again.

Darby is correct about the Odometer readings in the fact that with 245/70/16 I'm running currently, my speedo is showing me at 3-5 mph faster than my GPS. And, my odometer shows about a tenth of a mile less than GPS per mile. So I'm probably getting better milage, but I just calculate manually at each fill up based on milage on the trip odometer divided by gallons into tank.
For all I know, they probably have the trip odometer readings different from the standard odometer... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:19 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Odometer;

This is what I believe is the case;

2006 with ABS standard in Limited and Sport. Odometer and Trip and EVIC Trip get values from the ABS system. The speedo gets its infrom from the TCU. The TCU has a "pinion" setting that the dealer can adjust to show correct speed for a tire size. I have not heard of anyone getting the ABS based odometer corrected.

245-75-16 (30.5" OD) gives me and ODO error (compared to GPS) of -9%

B

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:38 am 
LOST Addict

I still have not installed the SEGR as I am way too ignorant of this kinda stuff to be soldering boards and splicing wires. I will get it put on one day. I can say with the lift, the 245/75/16 Revos, the ORM and the Suncoast that the last tank was right at 26 mpg mixed driving with 1/3 of that in heavy rush hour stop and go and the rest at 65-75 MPH highway. My odometer is reading 10% under-- according to the GPS and by driving the other vehicle the exact same distance and comparing the odometers. I take this into account when figuring my mileage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:48 am 
LOST Newbie

Ok, this is not a complaint,troll, flame, ect.

I have taken it out of the package several times and looked at it and the directions several times.

This is not an item that I will be able to complete and install by myself with the directions given. I can wrench but not this.

I have a friend who is capable but after looking at parts kit and directions said he would rather pull the cel and let me use his scan tool.

The dealer I would use if needed is cool but would prefer not to have extra parts wired in,the mechanic said if the cel was a problem he could pull the bulb.

Yes, I was aware that some assembly was required.

The check engine light is not that irritating.

What does all this mean? I am satisfied that I received all of my parts I am satisfied that UFO did a good job assembling the board. At this point though it will probably never be built or installed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:03 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

First, I want to thank Tim, LocoCRD and UFO for their willingness to help us guys that have limited electronics experience get a fix to this Exhaust Gas Recycle (EGR) valve problem. They could have fixed theirs and let the rest of us suffer. I had the first EGR replaced at 30.000 under warranty, one week after I purchased it used from a Jeep dealer. UFO did a supurb job of assembly of my board and got it to me in a very timely manor. It looks commercially and professonally done. I received mine Thursday. I have read everything in the forum I could find to understand how to assemble and install it. I was still a little foggy until the board arrived and got to see it soldered and wired correctly. I could go to the instructions and look at the correctly assembled board and follow it completely. I plan on doing the final mechanical build today and install it Thanksgiving weekend. I believe I understand how and can do it myself with enough peace and quiet.

Although the benifit of not having the Check Engine Light (CEL) on all the time is less annoying and checking the codes periodicly can be done, the real benifits of this fix is that the CEL returns to working on all other monitored sensors to warn you immediately of a problem. Also, I believe, it is better for your system to believe that the EGR is working properly instead of simply doing the Off Road Modification (ORM) and it knowing there is a problem with the EGR. I also have trouble convincing my wife and daughters that it is OK to drive it with that light on in this case. I have pounded it in to their heads to stop and call me should that light come on and have put the fear in them not to do otherwise. I will upate here as the project progresses.

White Sport '05 Libby CRD - born on date: 6/3/2005, FIA Grill Blanket, Fumoto drain plug, 2.8 CRD Turbo Diesel hood decals, Jeep windshield bug & stone deflector, Molded tire cover with custom JEEP & Liberty CRD decals, Cummins Lift Pump, Pro-vent, GDE Eco no limit tune, Odyssey 34R drycell battery, Meziere in-line stat, ETecno1 glow plugs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

cumminspilot wrote:
Ok, this is not a complaint,troll, flame, ect.

I have taken it out of the package several times and looked at it and the directions several times.

This is not an item that I will be able to complete and install by myself with the directions given. I can wrench but not this.

I have a friend who is capable but after looking at parts kit and directions said he would rather pull the cel and let me use his scan tool.

The dealer I would use if needed is cool but would prefer not to have extra parts wired in,the mechanic said if the cel was a problem he could pull the bulb.

Yes, I was aware that some assembly was required.

The check engine light is not that irritating.

What does all this mean? I am satisfied that I received all of my parts I am satisfied that UFO did a good job assembling the board. At this point though it will probably never be built or installed
I agree that it is not the most straight-forward mechanical assembly to put together. I had to disassemble and reassemble mine a few times to figure it out and get it right. But I thought the instructions for getting the connector installed to the box were accurate, and that is 70% of the battle. The only tricky part is getting the PCB standoffs in the right place to mount the PCB in close proximity to the connector, and I had to remove some material from the notch in the PCB. It is best if you do not install the connector pins in the housing until the PCB is securely mounted, and the holes are drilled for the power resistor. Then goop up the resistor, bolt it all down, and stick in the pins.

If you end up not finishing it, you will not lose the money you have put into it, as I'm sure there will be opportunity to sell it here.

'01 Beetle TDi B100, EGR delete
'83 Mercedes 240D B100, no EGR

--- SEGR Builder ---