It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to check and replace fuel pump on 05 liberty crd
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:38 am 
LOST Newbie

I think its bad im wondering where it is and how to test it. All i can find is info on a lift pump mod not the o factory original. :cry:

Post subject: Re: How to check and replace fuel pump on 05 liberty crd
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:18 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
The short answer, is the low pressure fuel pump, is built into the CP3 high pressure pump. The CRD didn't come from the factory with a separate in-tank pump. :banghead:

Mopar decided that because the low pressure priming pump "could" pull enough vacuum to draw the fuel from the tank and through the fuel filter without assistance, that they would save a few bucks per vehicle, by leaving it out. The result is, fuel lines designed for holding fuel pressure in, are now tasked with holding air out, and they do that quite poorly. The more load the engine is tasked with, the worse they do. Also, in cold weather, Fuel is thicker and requires more vacuum to move it.

It is quite common, especially during cold weather, that the CP3 actually pulls enough vacuum that it sucks air into the fuel lines through the filter head, through the push lock fittings back by the tank, and possibly through any loosely clamped connector.

You can temporarily bleed this air out, by pumping the hand plunger at the fuel filter head, and cracking open the bleeder on the opposite side of the filter head. You should have a short hose and container handy to catch the fuel that comes out with the air.

This is the reason for all the lift pump mod threads. There are various approaches from installing a Mopar Diesel unit from a Cummins Diesel pickup tank to firewall mounted units, but the colder your winters are, the more you should look to the in-tank solution. It is the only solution that, barring normal product wear and tear longevity, will completely eliminate all sources of air - in - fuel problems, period. If you don't have sub freezing winters, it's possible you could get away with a less expensive under-hood electronic pump. My life takes me to a pretty wide range of climate from sea level to high desert, so I chose the factory Carter unit from a 2006 Dodge 1 ton pickup tank, and did the wiring harness myself. Sasquatch Parts and IDParts both sell new in-tank pump and sender units. Sasquatch also makes a Plug-and-play wiring loom with floor weather grommet properly installed and located, and correctly wired connectors both inside and outside, if that's the way you choose.

If you are planning to keep your Jeep for a year or more, I absolutely believe this is one of the most important mods you can do to your CRD. Most of the potential driveability problems are averted, and it helps make your CP3.. a very expensive critical part, last longer.

Either way, the CRD comes with a fused relay circuit and timer already built in. They just didn't bother to put a pump in. Only the fuel level sending unit.

Sorry for the very long answer to a nice concise question. I hope it was understandable.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:52 am 

X2, extremely good discourse on the subject Gordon! :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:06 pm 
LOST Addict

First thing to do is remove both wire connectors -on the fuel filter head- and inspect for wetness/fuel leaks in the plugs.
If leaking, you should replace the whole fuel filter assembly (common problem).

If dry and no leaks, pump up the hand plunger till firm, then use a 11mm wrench to open the bleed screw. If anything other than a solid stream of fuel comes out you have a air in fuel problem.
A lift pump will help fix it and there are a lot of ways to accomplish that.

-edited because I left out an important detail-

Last edited by flash7210 on Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:18 pm 
LOST Addict

And in the very rare event that the cp3 is actually bad. You can check it with a cheap vacuum gauge, or at least that's how you check to see if it's drawing within spec. Several LOST members have swapped CP3's only to find that that wasn't the problem. They are tough pumps. A couple of lost members had fuel related codes and the mprop was bad (swappable part of the CP3), but once again, quite rare.
It's so rare that the other guys didn't mention it for a reason :5SHOTS:

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete