It is currently Wed Oct 07, 2026 5:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:10 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 12988
Location: Colorado Springs
Quote:
LIV42DY

Whenever I see chains...It scares me

The military also uses chains and steel cables only to recovery vehciles that a slightly more stuck and weigh up to over 30X's more then a Jeep.I've used chains before,and yes I have had chains snap,but if you take precations chains are no more worse then using a strap.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:51 am 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:36 pm
Posts: 3143
Location: OKLAHOMA
tjkj said what i was tryign to say... they can be safe as long as you don't misuse them!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:35 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:54 am
Posts: 5827
Location: 7,000 feet, Zuni Mountains, New Mexico
Riptricket, are you planning on getting a front bumper?

_________________
2015 Ram Ecodiesel/Big Horn/4x4/Quad Cab
2016 Arctic Fox 22G/Onboard 2500 LP Cummins Onan Generator/160 Watt Solar Panel

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:48 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:36 pm
Posts: 3143
Location: OKLAHOMA
i wanted the SC Rockstar, but I don't see that happening now!
If RL comes out with one, and the price is right, then I'll get his.
But according to everyone on here, I have to get a lift first... b/c of the weight of the front bumper.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:59 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:03 pm
Posts: 765
Location: Homeless in Vegas
jeremesh wrote:
riptricket wrote:
alright, forget that!!! that would take waaaaay too long to "winch" via hi-lift. i'll save up for the real winch instead!


What about an 8 ton come-a-long?



I carry one in the KJ as well as the TJ. I have used them for more things than just recoveries. They can be a very handy tool. One time we used it when a friend broke a leaf spring on his XJ. We put the come long in the front to hold the axle in place and a ratchet strap in the rear as the axle kept wanting to pull back. We got him off the trail and into town for a fix. I have a winch on the TJ but have brought out the come-a-long to recover myself from the rear instead of dragging myself with the winch up and over an obsticle. Sometimes it can just make since. You just have to make sure you have enough straps with you.

_________________
Jeep, its a way of life.

06 KJ Limited
10 JK Unlimited Rubicon
14 JK Unlimited Rubicon
14 KL Cherokee Trail Hawk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: IMO
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:54 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:23 am
Posts: 349
Location: cincinnati
dieselenthusiast wrote:
Wheeling alone is like backpacking alone. You simply shouldn’t do it.


ive heard stories and seen many people back pack alone i plan to do it alone as well just waiting on a couple more pieces of gear. O i wheel by my self some time to but never some where not in walking distance of help or a phone call to a friend to come get towed out.

_________________
04 KJ sport Patriot Blue
Hella 500's
Tail Light Covers
Mopar Rear Tow Hook
Pathfinder AT's


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: IMO
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:33 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:54 am
Posts: 5827
Location: 7,000 feet, Zuni Mountains, New Mexico
Freshmud wrote:
dieselenthusiast wrote:
Wheeling alone is like backpacking alone. You simply shouldn’t do it.


ive heard stories and seen many people back pack alone i plan to do it alone as well just waiting on a couple more pieces of gear.


Very true, but that still doesn’t mean that it’s a wise choice. One of my goals is to hike the Appalachian Trail straight through, and even though I know that I would meet several people along the trail, I will still choose to have a partner or multiple partners to hike the trail with me. When you’re in the backcountry, several things can happen. Health issues, accidents, unforeseen weather, four legged creatures, 2 legged creatures, and other uncontrollable factors can happen. It’s just best to have a buddy. :D

_________________
2015 Ram Ecodiesel/Big Horn/4x4/Quad Cab
2016 Arctic Fox 22G/Onboard 2500 LP Cummins Onan Generator/160 Watt Solar Panel

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:13 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:54 am
Posts: 5827
Location: 7,000 feet, Zuni Mountains, New Mexico
riptricket wrote:
i wanted the SC Rockstar, but I don't see that happening now!
If RL comes out with one, and the price is right, then I'll get his.
But according to everyone on here, I have to get a lift first... b/c of the weight of the front bumper.


Are you wanting a mounted winch or a removable winch mount?

_________________
2015 Ram Ecodiesel/Big Horn/4x4/Quad Cab
2016 Arctic Fox 22G/Onboard 2500 LP Cummins Onan Generator/160 Watt Solar Panel

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com