LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

pics of a failed LBJ
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10323
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Cacher123 [ Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:51 am ]
Post subject:  pics of a failed LBJ

Managed to snap a few pics of a KJ that was in my dlr's lot with an obviously failed LBJ.
Had to be stealthy so couldn't get too many of the underneath (kinda obvious trying to get under there!)
Image
Image
Image
:shock: :cry: :x :shock: :cry: :x
And why aren't we involved in a class action suit?!? :?: :evil:

Author:  white04kj [ Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:50 pm ]
Post subject: 

Ouch... well glad it wasn't you. It's too bad you had no way of contacting the owner to make sure he/she can fill out an LBJ failure complaint with the NTSB. I actually saw one with the passenger side shot one time when I was at the dealer in Manhattan, KS getting some warranty work done. As soon as I saw that I told the service guy to check my LBJ's. I'm keeping my fingers crossed until I can afford a set of new A-arms and LBJ's.

Author:  tjkj2002 [ Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:59 pm ]
Post subject: 

That's got to really suck!!I tell every person I know that has a KJ,most are not modified,to check there LBJ's and show them how.Alot of them don't care and really don't care for there vehicle,so sad :cry: :cry: .At least they can't say I didn't try to warn them when/if they fail(also none are interested in joinning L.O.S.T.,they have them just for transportation only,to bad so sad).

Author:  Jeepjeepster [ Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:56 pm ]
Post subject: 

tjkj2002 wrote:
That's got to really suck!!I tell every person I know that has a KJ,most are not modified,to check there LBJ's and show them how.Alot of them don't care and really don't care for there vehicle,so sad :cry: :cry: .At least they can't say I didn't try to warn them when/if they fail(also none are interested in joinning L.O.S.T.,they have them just for transportation only,to bad so sad).


I do the same thing. I always tell ppl about the crappy balljoints.

Author:  corwyyn [ Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:18 am ]
Post subject: 

Wow, thanks for the image. I wonder if it would be possible for anyone who has replaced their's with other units (Moog, etc) to post up some pics of the condition of theirs, preferably dis-assembled (I know they are sealed units so that may not be possible). Thx.

Author:  jeepmed [ Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:37 am ]
Post subject: 

That sux. Why are they failing? Do they all fail? Or only on modified Libertys?

Author:  Jeepjeepster [ Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:44 am ]
Post subject: 

jeepmed wrote:
That sux. Why are they failing? Do they all fail? Or only on modified Libertys?


They all fail.

I wanted to do that with mine corwyyn, but they were almost destroyed from pressing them out. One of my balljoints had no play in it before it was pressed, after I took it out it had around 1/8-1/4 of play. They almost popped out the top, and if they would have idk how I would of gotten them out.

The grease was black and white though, so id say thats what done it.

Author:  bbertram [ Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:24 pm ]
Post subject: 

Is this happening on the '05 and '06 models too? How many miles before they fail? About to get a lift at the end of the summer and I'm curious if I should be getting mine checked out first. Thanks!

Author:  Marlon_JBT [ Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:47 pm ]
Post subject: 

There are people with several thousand miles who HAVEN'T have had Ball Joint failures of any kind.

With that said, '05+ models are still experiencing failures.

Author:  EdgarNYU [ Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:36 pm ]
Post subject:  PICS

Thanks cacher for the initiative.

I will take this aLOT more seriously.

BTW, previous chime said "THEY ALL FAIL"

True? Does that mean premature and maybe spontaneous breakage(not from normal wear and tear)?

If so, what are the options for those of us with and without 3/36K and extended warranty coverages? :shock:

Author:  IceColeNH [ Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: pics of a failed LBJ

I am happy to say that I found a local parts shop with Moog k3199's in stock Only two though. I'll be replacing the lowers soon. I have about 85K on the ones the dealership replaced under the recall. Tie rods also being replaced as they have play.
Interesting thing happened today. Went to another parts store to get the tie rod ends and one was a greeser the other wasn't. Very strange. They were made by SPICER. Attempted to contact them, they have a pay number at 1.75 a minute and not an Email address to be found. I am writing a nasty letter.

Now, I'm hoping JeepinAl will have Uppers for me soon. He's having problems finding the Moog's also. There nice heavy duty looking and feeling joints. Anything better then stock.

Good luck all.

Author:  PitViper [ Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:07 pm ]
Post subject: 

I have 2 libertys in my drive way and they both went bad in under 24K miles.

Moogs in both now... thank you very much, have a nice day!

Author:  jdumont [ Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:35 pm ]
Post subject: 

So someone tell me why all ball joints arnt designed with a clevis pin somplace as a failsafe in case the joint fails. WTF???

Author:  SavageUrge [ Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:39 pm ]
Post subject:  Balljoint failures

Could someone re-post or post the link to the discussion about how to check your balljoints utilizing the prybar? I'm having a difficult time locating it. I have an '03 Renegade with over 52,000 miles and so far (knock on wood :? ) I haven't noticed any signs of failure. I'd like to test them though. Thank you!

Author:  ATXKJ [ Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:45 pm ]
Post subject: 

it's a sticky in the 4x4 section
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=4348

Author:  Bakerkj [ Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:04 pm ]
Post subject: 

I check my LBJ everytime I get an oil change or swap my tires for wheeling. I was just putting my street tires back on and noticed the drivers side is bad. I'm at 56K I sent an e-mail to jeepin Al. As soon as I have some down time I'm putting in the moogs and upper A arms.

Author:  jeepusa [ Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:42 pm ]
Post subject: 

I have over 120K on my 02 Liberty with the original ball joints the only thing ever done to them was for the recall and all they did was check them and install heat shields.

Author:  Eddo [ Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:14 am ]
Post subject: 

jeepusa wrote:
I have over 120K on my 02 Liberty with the original ball joints the only thing ever done to them was for the recall and all they did was check them and install heat shields.


I'd honestly have them checked again. Even people that are unlifted and don't four-wheel are still seeing failures as soon as 30k.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/