LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Jeeps pull Ford diesel out of lake story..
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10483
Page 1 of 1

Author:  David@TNT [ Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:19 am ]
Post subject:  Jeeps pull Ford diesel out of lake story..

I had an interesting day at the lake.. On my way home from the lake I noticed a Ford truck in the lake half submerged in the boat launching area, so I turned around to get another look at this deal.. Here is the problem, here in Texas our water level is low so the shore line is receding and as we all know the concrete only goes so far on the boat launch, so this older gentlemen had backed up to load the boat and ended up going right off the ledge.. To get an idea of how suckfull it was, the bed was completely submurged in water and the front bumber was touching.. I pulled up, as grand cherokee was getting chained up to try & pull it out, so of course im going to watch.. There were people standing around as well, and to introduce myself I walked up to the group of people and said "I would normally say, are yall doing all right today, but that would be a stupid question now wouldent it" they of course loved the comment and it kinda changed the suckfull attitude roaming the bad day at the lake.. Anyways the grand cherokee was 2wd and he gave it his best but no luck, so the guy made the comment we need a 4wd, I told him I would give it a try so I put it in 4 lo and chained it up.. I have the stock goodyears on "Lol" so of course didnt budge much but had a great time smoking all 4 tires, and the whole time all I wished I had was my digital camera with me!! So we hooked up both of the Jeeps side by side and came up with a sophisicated technique, while I spin all 4 he gets a running start and keeps yanking as hard as he can.. I figured atleast we will get his bumber out of the water, then after 30seconds of this it moved a little bit, then just a little more, then what do ya know the highly intelligent technique of pulling and yanking got the Ford superduty off of the ledge.. The guy was so happy, and as I returned to my Renegade the other Jeep owner made the comment "you gotta love those Jeeps" I smiled and replied "I will have to agree".. I have had sports cars all my life so this KJ is the first off road vehicle I have had and this Ford was the first time I have gotten to pull somone out. It just felt really good to be able to help somone that is having such a bad day and have so much fun doing it.. I wish I had had all of this on video, it was awsome!! I will allways be a Jeep fan for life, laters..

Author:  white04kj [ Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:55 am ]
Post subject: 

Very cool man. Helping get people unstuck is always fun, plus, it's always good to build up some good "trail karma" cuz eventually you're going to need it. If you haven't already, it'd be a good idea to invest in a tow strap, they're safer than chains, plus it's a good idea to carry one with you.

Author:  Myke [ Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:55 am ]
Post subject: 

Pulling stuff out is fun, I yanked down two small trees :)

Author:  Jeepjeepster [ Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:20 am ]
Post subject: 

Myke wrote:
Pulling stuff out is fun, I yanked down two small trees :)


Haha, I pulled one big tree!

Author:  waddy whiteguts [ Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:38 am ]
Post subject: 

:D

Did the Ford start up?

Author:  David@TNT [ Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:24 pm ]
Post subject: 

waddy whiteguts wrote:
:D

Did the Ford start up?


Yep, fired right up..

Author:  David@TNT [ Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:27 pm ]
Post subject: 

white04kj wrote:
Very cool man. Helping get people unstuck is always fun, plus, it's always good to build up some good "trail karma" cuz eventually you're going to need it. If you haven't already, it'd be a good idea to invest in a tow strap, they're safer than chains, plus it's a good idea to carry one with you.


I like that, trail karma.. So far I havent gotton crazy enough to need the pull but its like the old saying "you play with fire you will get burned".. I agree on the strap deal, I have been wanting that 4inch strap from Rusty, I guess this will help justify it. Ohh and btw it destroyed the goodyears so while im on the phone with Rusty :idea:

Author:  jason thompson [ Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:36 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Jeeps pull Ford diesel out of lake story..

David@TNT wrote:
I pulled up, as grand cherokee was getting chained up I put it in 4 lo and chained it up..



I think that what you did was great do not get me wrong when people with jeeps do that it gives a positive image
but you and every one around you was in danger of being killed a chain is only as strong as its weakest link as a policy we do not ever use chain to pull a stuck vehical no matter what we only use chain to drag limbs
you should invest in a good strap with no metal hooks and never use a strap from someone that looks "bad"

Author:  jpzkj [ Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:35 pm ]
Post subject: 

Quote:
while I spin all 4 he gets a running start



Im glad it worked out for you...but it could have ended really ugly if that chain had broken.

Putting a shockload on a chain is a reciepe for disaster.

Tow Straps / No Hooks / No tow balls

Spectators need to be minimum distance away (however long the tow strap is...x's 2 ...thats the minimum distance).

http://www.4x4now.com/sf0300.htmImage

Author:  David@TNT [ Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Jeeps pull Ford diesel out of lake story..

jason thompson wrote:
David@TNT wrote:
I pulled up, as grand cherokee was getting chained up I put it in 4 lo and chained it up..



I think that what you did was great do not get me wrong when people with jeeps do that it gives a positive image
but you and every one around you was in danger of being killed a chain is only as strong as its weakest link as a policy we do not ever use chain to pull a stuck vehical no matter what we only use chain to drag limbs
you should invest in a good strap with no metal hooks and never use a strap from someone that looks "bad"


I completely understand the danger in using a chain, and there was no one within 40yards when we were pulling.. He had the chain around his frame and I have a hitch with drop that I attached the chain to, so it was that or he was stuck like chuck.. Like I said im going to call Rustys up and get the 4inch strap, cause I dont like chains either, but when thats all you have then what are you going to do??

Author:  Jeepjeepster [ Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:59 pm ]
Post subject: 

Not to drive you into the ground for pulling the guy out, but did you put the chain around the ball? B/c thats a big no no. Its always best to take the receiver out and just use the pin. Hope you had fun though!! :wink:

Author:  Tokyojoe [ Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:52 pm ]
Post subject: 

Choice with chain? Do not help. Would it be worth your life or the destruction of your Jeep? Would it be your fault for the chain breaking and killing the truck owner? Maybe. Lawsuit would be very easy for the drivers family.

When given a choice, do what is safe not chivalrous/friendly/courteous.

Author:  DarbyWalters [ Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:20 am ]
Post subject: 

Did the Ford Diesel Owner pull any "green stuff" out of his wallet to pay for the rubber you burned off? :lol:

Author:  Cowcatcher [ Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:40 am ]
Post subject: 

Great comments from the safety first crowd on chains. We farmers will stay out of that discussion. :lol: Next thing you know they will be trying to convince us that a 10" Cresent wrench can't be used as a hammer. :D

Good effort on your part. I pulled a young man out of the ditch near my house last summer but with the tow hooks on the front of my Chev PU (life pre-Jeep). Seems he was driving a little too fast on the gravel with his early Bronco. Lucky he wasn't hurt or didn't roll. I put him back in the drivers seat, low range and reverse. We had an old fire hose as our tow strap and I put the PU in low and reverse. Pulled him out suprisingly easily. Had I pulled him from the back of the PU I think I would have just spun the wheels on the gravel.

Author:  rs4mtnitro [ Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:42 am ]
Post subject:  Pullin with chains

I know a guy who killed his wife with a chain trying to pull out a car. It came Right through the windshield.

Author:  WV(0)IIIIIII(0) [ Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:01 pm ]
Post subject: 

Cowcatcher wrote:
Great comments from the safety first crowd on chains. We farmers will stay out of that discussion. :lol: Next thing you know they will be trying to convince us that a 10" Cresent wrench can't be used as a hammer. :D



:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Author:  David@TNT [ Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:33 pm ]
Post subject: 

DarbyWalters wrote:
Did the Ford Diesel Owner pull any "green stuff" out of his wallet to pay for the rubber you burned off? :lol:


He offered, but I just settled for a hand shake and I was on my way..

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/